Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Spring Check IN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Check IN!

Hello! How is everyone's year progressing? Did your plans pan out? Did things go better or worse than expected? I am happy with the progress of my children, but am eating a little bit of humble pie, with regards to R&S Math. 🤣😬. I'm also thankful for this forum overall and the advice of Catherine Saylor who wisely advised me to take a leap into FFL (First Form Latin) in 2020 with my oldest, despite her having not completed LC (Latina Christina). My daughter's struggles were more along the lines of deep comprehension, but other areas she was making great progress.

DD1 (6th grade) -
    We had to finish Unit 5 of FFL. (this was probably more "me" than her having trouble with it) She actually completed most of it on her own, with little from me. (she did do flashcards very well nearly every day and I drilled some forms every now and then). I had taken the adult FFL class over the summer prior but she really seemed to be doing well on her own. After taking the SFL (Second Form Latin) summer class I was a little worried I didn't drill enough, but I had her do some of the drills I learned in class and she passed them with flying colors. She's so fast that I have to have the forms in front me to confirm she is right! I think she'll finish the same as last year (leaving the last unit, Passive voice) for "next year". I plan to take two year to do Third Form and this seems like it will work out well, glancing at the Table of Contents in TFL. She did Famous Men of Rome and Christian Studies 2, and R&S Math 6. She's a little behind on Geo 1. My mother ( a former Catholic School middle school English teacher) has taken on teaching middle school English and Literature. The grammar is a bit overkill with the Latin my daughter is doing, but after some initial struggle to learn how to teach just one, she (and my daughter) have found a nice rhythm. My daughter is so good at the grammar that she is on to the 7th grade book and may finish the 8th grade book by the end of 7th grade. Literature was a little slower, my mom and daughter worked through Heidi and Twenty One Balloons only, but also finished the Poetry for Grammar and are now working on the Poetry and Short Stories book. My daughter has made great strides in her comprehension, even on those deeper questions, thanks to my mom! My daughter works really well independently (although, it wasn't SO easy at the beginning of the year - it took some refocus and organizational training between my mom and me to "set her up"). She absolutely loves to read and has read (and re-read) almost everything on our shelf. She's reading Redwall now, and has Watership Down on her list next. I have to ask her to stop reading sometimes to do other things. She started a homeschool volleyball club and seems to be enjoying that. Piano seems to be fizzing out. She's been apart of church choir since the 3rd grade and I think we may need to depart from that next year. We are very involved in our newly founded American Heritage Girls troop and she's really shined. She designed a game for a younger unit (Escape room-= think more table top puzzles). It involved her creating the puzzles, sorting them in the correct order, and playing the game to make sure it made sense. I was really quite impressed at how well she worked and was able to organize it all with little help from me. (I mean, I almost can't believe what she did!!). However, we are deeply struggling in other areas. She's a perfectionist and if she's wrong, she throws a fit. (not really exaggerating here). It's really hard to walk her through, or step her back to find where she has made an error. She's thrown things, slammed the book down, told me "I" was wrong (I have the teacher's manual and have even worked the problem on the calculator to make sure the book wasn't wrong) but she's so smart (and fast) that sometimes she skips a step and doesn't realize it. She'll blame me and say I "made her do it wrong"...and it goes on and on. It escalates rather quickly. I've tried to also just sit back and say nothing and that backfires as well. I'd love any advice on how to deal with an explosive child. She's also rather bossy and will interrupt me teaching a sibling to basically say I'm wrong (although she hasn't heard the whole conversation and doesn't know exactly what we were talking about). It's borderline Oppositional Defiant Behavior.....I found a note one day that she had written at a retreat and it said "Dear God, I am struggling, Help me". 😥. I have signed her up for an MPOA math class to see if that will help, grandma will still teach English and Literature. That will leave Latin and the "social studies" to me. We seem to do pretty well with these subjects and she is now able to read and write the answers and then discuss with me. If she's wrong, she might protest a little but I can guide her to the book. I'm having some reservations about High School....

Then there is my sweet anxious son. He has the cutest little face and is very affectionate. He mostly did a modified SC 7&8. My plans for him didn't quite work out like I planned. We finished SC 7 literature and I would say that we made progress there. One day, I was busy and his choice was to re-read a chapter or simply try and answer (in writing!) the comprehension questions. I was pretty sure he would choose re-read, but he chose to answer the questions and he did! (so, now I know he can!). This year we switched from shared reading to him reading the whole thing and while he wasn't happy about it, he did manage it all year. The slow pace of only 2 novels I thought was insanely slow, but it really worked and he has made such great progress! He's asked to read Cricket in Times Square, Homer Price and Lassie next year. We'll see how that goes! (HE did not want to read Narnia because he's been read it many times and knows the movies (which he said has ruined the book!!) so he wanted to read new things. I think I can respect that and hope to see how he does with a slightly quicker pace. If he only reads Cricket and Times Square and Homer Price, I'm ok with that. My son had been doing CLE math. He could do it independently and was moving along swiftly. Until we hit CLE4. (I've read some reviews that CLE4's spiral approach and quickness make it a challenge). He literally could not figure out how to division problems 54/4 for example. Even on graph paper, it took several weeks to get him to understand/remember all the steps. I had to pull out the R&S 4 book, and go back to lesson 40. That is where I am eating some humble pie. I'll never do another math program again. He was able to move through other of the R&S4 lessons quickly, but he needed the step by step approach to division problems. I think he will still be able to begin R&S5 next year. He was so excited after he "got" the division problems that he asked to do MORE problems that day!!! "Look mom, I think I've got this now, can I do a few more problems?" (??? what? umm...yes.....). He's on his third year of LC and is just about to finish it. It isn't perfect but I think he is well place to begin FFL, but I do plan to take the 2 years for him. He just isn't as quick as his sister. I have the 9/10 plans to work through with him. Next year, ultimately, he'll be doing a modified SC 7&8. (The R&S4 grammar did not go so well, we had to stop and go back to EGR1 review). He'll do SC 9/10 for Math and Latin and SC 8 for Literature, with SC 7/8 for Geo, Grammar, Classical/Christian/Cursive/Enrichment. I'm hoping maybe he'll move to MP6 the following year, but we'll see. My biggest struggles with him are impatience that I think stem from anxiety. He also doesn't take no and pretty much "argues" over any task given to him. "Son, do x number of problems" "Can I just do x"? I'd love suggestions for navigating that. It doesn't matter how many times I've said "I told you to do x..go do x...he'll still stand there and "negotiate". He'll also follow me around the house and try and convince me if I've given him an answer he doesn't like.

Then there is the youngest. She seems the calmest of the three, but she has her own issues. She is finished with SC4 and I plan to have her do SC 5&6 next year. She's moving right along, but she should be a 4th grader. She's also too smart for her own good, but I suspect "something" is going on with her. Despite all the tools and knowledge I had in teaching to read, she was the hardest! I had to use every.single.thing I owned to get her reading well. (at least it was worth buying it and I knew how to use it, so it wasn't overwhelming!). She has a hard time with "time" something neither of the other two needed to be "taught". However, her comprehension is amazing and can often answer questions better than her older brother. (They are doing CS 1 and Greek Myths together). She's the only 1 of the 3 that when asked a high level question can simplify the answer and make it age appropriate. The other two will basically, verbatim, quote the text. She finishes her work quickly and crafts night and day....but often doesn't clean up.......😳. I do suspect some form of anxiety in her but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Well, that's our summary. Thanks for reading if you got this far!
    Christine

(2022/2023)
    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Christine,

What a great post! Since this is on the simply classical board, I just want to comment on your oldest daughter. Sixth grade is tough! My daughter (also the oldest) seems to share many qualities with your daughter only now she is a freshman in college. Sixth and seventh grade were particularly rough. She is super smart with an amazing memory, but I see in retrospect that she was having trouble with Latin and writing (neither were my strong areas + baby + struggling reader in the family) and I wasn’t doing enough teaching. That combined with nothing ever being a problem for her before and hormones at that age made her very, very hard to work with. She didn’t finish second form so I threw her into the MPOA summer review class (Mr. Piland actually said it was ok that she hadn’t finished the last unit) and it went so well I put her into third form and middle school comp 2 (the two levels after fable) the despite her fighting me tooth and nail through fable and narrative. It might have been the best parenting/teaching move I ever made. The pace was fast, the teachers (Mrs. Strickland and Mr. Maycock) were awesome/funny/passionate and knew what they were doing. The two classes gave her the pace she needed that I couldn’t provide, instruction, and deadlines. It showed her she needed to study and that she couldn’t just rely on her memory to get her through and it happened early enough that she could have have that moment and come to terms with it when the stakes were relatively low. She now freely admits that she was full of hubris and is glad she realized that studying was necessary before she got to college. It can really be a shock for some kids. She is a very lovely young lady now and apologizes for how annoying she was at that age. I can’t say that your daughter’s issues are the same, but just that it is a rough age for others as well and sometimes it is good to separate out your teaching role from your mothering role especially in contentious subjects. Instead of teaching grammar/writing in my case I could commiserate on her 60 on her first grammar quiz and coach her on study skills and life lessons without being the bad guy.
    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Mom2mthj -Thank you for your reply. How interesting that your daughter took the SFL review class and did not finish the last unit. That is where she will be finishing the year. Hmm, I may have to ponder what you did with your daughter. I'm trying to balance the online classes because then we are beholden to their schedule and "keeping up". My husband has a rotating day off (Monday this week, Tuesday the next, etc) so I like to have some flexibility so we can do "family" things on his day off. However, I do think we are getting to the point where the schooling is just going to have to take priority. I'm nervous about having to adhere to so much of a schedule though. But I really thank you for your comments and now I have more things to consider that I didn't know could be an option. I took Catherine's advice on the FFL, I just may have needed yours on the SFL/TFL! (I know you were necessarily suggesting it...but it does have me discerning more options!).
      Christine

(2022/2023)
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)

Comment

Thanks again Dorinda! I just had a little chat with my daughter (I was thinking maybe I should sign her up for TFL). She was honest and said she didn't want another online class, but she does want to complete TFL in one year. (I had planned for it to take 2). She really wants to do Greek, apparently. (Who knew??) So, she's thinking she'll finish Fourth Form in 8th and do Greek 1 & 2 in 9th and 10th then pick up a romance language for 11th and 12th. (I know many say if you do the Forms to keep going with Latin, but I'm not sure she (we) can handle Greek and Latin.....I know we have some time, but it was nice to have a civil conversation and allow her to have some choice!
        Christine

(2022/2023)
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years

Comment

howiecram This is a fun question!

We started very late and only 10 weeks into our “journey” with SC. You all told me to trust the process and I can’t believe how well it’s working for us! My son is in SC2 and he’s doing SO well. I told my husband I can’t even believe our school year is ending up looking like this because six months ago, I wouldn’t have thought it was even possible. A few things have played into that though - we finally found a medication that works AND I’ve gotten incredibly strict with structure. We do the exact same thing every day, I teach directly from the teachers manual and he has improved so much. He used to fight me all the time and have extreme defiance. That is pretty much gone now. He’s made tons of progress with reading and math, and I am just so thankful.

we plan to keep up exactly what we are doing all summer. He will start a neighborhood summer camp in the morning and in the afternoon we will do school. I’m trying to catch him up and get him ready to join a local Highlands Latin cottage school in august where he will be doing full MP 2nd grade core curriculum. I plan to teach latin and math using SC materials, though, on his days home with me.

I love this community! I gave up social media so this is my one little guilty pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabeaugh View Post
            howiecram This is a fun question!

We started very late and only 10 weeks into our “journey” with SC. You all told me to trust the process and I can’t believe how well it’s working for us! My son is in SC2 and he’s doing SO well. I told my husband I can’t even believe our school year is ending up looking like this because six months ago, I wouldn’t have thought it was even possible. A few things have played into that though - we finally found a medication that works AND I’ve gotten incredibly strict with structure. We do the exact same thing every day, I teach directly from the teachers manual and he has improved so much. He used to fight me all the time and have extreme defiance. That is pretty much gone now. He’s made tons of progress with reading and math, and I am just so thankful.

we plan to keep up exactly what we are doing all summer. He will start a neighborhood summer camp in the morning and in the afternoon we will do school. I’m trying to catch him up and get him ready to join a local Highlands Latin cottage school in august where he will be doing full MP 2nd grade core curriculum. I plan to teach latin and math using SC materials, though, on his days home with me.

I love this community! I gave up social media so this is my one little guilty pleasure.

Thanks for the update! I'm so happy to hear things are going well!! Keep us updated with his progress and how he integrates into the HLS cottage school!
            Christine

(2022/2023)
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years

Comment

howiecram I am so glad things worked out with FFL! I will just add that my oldest son, who took two years with First Form, was able to adjust to the one-year pace (with a little catch up in the summer) after that. He moved to MPOA for Latin in Fourth Form. I did insist on Latin in high school amidst many protests, and now that he is about to graduate, he is glad he knows Latin so well. He doesn’t want to continue with it in college and plans to take Spanish but recognizes the value of having gone as far as he could in Latin. Just something to keep in mind. It sounds like y’all are doing great!
              Catherine

2022-23
              7th year with MP

DS19, college freshman
              DS16, 10th
              DS & DD14, 9th
              DS10, 4th
              DD7, 2nd
              DS4, JrK
              DS & DS, 1

Comment

Our year did not go as plan but it never does :P medical adventures always abound and we had a several month demand avoidance shutdown around LD anxiety but are slowly regathering and beginning again for a summer term which is all we can ever do. My voice is always hoarse from reading aloud but progress is happening.

It is very fun however having older graduated kids encouraging the younger ones and telling them all about their favorite memories around what the younger kids are learning. My oldest son wants the younger kids so badly to learn Horatius by heart and they flee the room when ever he pulls out the book.
                DD - Graduated!
                DS - core 12 with remediation/support
                DD - core 9 with remediation/support
                DS - core 7 with remediation/support

Comment

I have one win so far- G finished his math book without copying a single problem! He has been working on it since August. It’s not an MP choice, but he did it and started the next level right away happily.

Things are clipping along here otherwise. I have a very ambitious plan for my older three for 2022 so I’m happy we are off to a great start.
                  The Older Boys:
                  J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                  S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                  G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                  D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                  F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                  M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
                  X