Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Planning a literature study for next year - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning a literature study for next year - HELP

We're in the process of switching over from the MP 4A track this year to SC for next year. I'm trying to map out some literature plans for next year, but I'm having some trouble, based on what we've already studied. (This year, we've already studied LWW, reading Heidi now and will finish with Lassie)

I'm looking at blending 2 books from SC 5/6 with SC 7/8

Mr Popper's Penguins
    A Bear Called Paddington

My Side of the Mountain
    Homer Price

For those of you ladies experienced with the progression of SC Literature, does this sound OK? Or would I be better off piecing things together in a different way? (Blue Fairy, Cricket in Times Square, 21 Balloons are other options as well)

Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
    DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
    DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
    DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Good morning, Dianna.

If it helps, this would be the progression by Lexile:

A Bear Called Paddington 750L
    Cricket in Times Square 780L
    (We waited on Cricket in SC, not because of the Lexile but because some SC students might have difficulty reading from the perspective of Tucker Mouse, who speaks.)

My Side of the Mountain 810L
    Mr. Popper's Penguins 910L

If you wanted to substitute for any of the above for any reason, the next books you mentioned would be ordered in this way by Lexile:

Homer Price 1000L
    Twenty-One Balloons 1070L
    Blue Fairy 1120L

Comment

If you do Paddington, Poppers, My Side of the Mountain and Homer Price, you will set yourself up to be able to do the SC 9/10 novels. (It schedules Crickets, Blue Fairy, Heidi and 21 Balloons) - I know she is doing Heidi now, but dropping down to 3 books that year (there are some other picture book type books sprinkled in there as well) might just be what you all need. I'd suggest buying the two year pace and simply skipping Heidi - you will likely be able to move through the progression faster. There are several extra days scheduled simply to re-read the novel in the two year pace. You may not need them all. (so I'm thinking the two year pace, minus Heidi will take you 1 year is what I am trying to say!)
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Good morning, Dianna.

If it helps, this would be the progression by Lexile:

A Bear Called Paddington 750L
        Cricket in Times Square 780L
        (We waited on Cricket in SC, not because of the Lexile but because some SC students might have difficulty reading from the perspective of Tucker Mouse, who speaks.)

My Side of the Mountain 810L
        Mr. Popper's Penguins 910L

If you wanted to substitute for any of the above for any reason, the next books you mentioned would be ordered in this way by Lexile:

Homer Price 1000L
        Twenty-One Balloons 1070L
        Blue Fairy 1120L
        Oh boy. I didn't consider Lexile levels at ALL. I was actually just considering what she's already read, the SC progression, and the complexity of the student guides. She's a strong reader but can struggle with comprehension. I've been scaffolding using the SC literature tips and we're holding steady. She has a harder time with the multistep questions but steadies when I begin to lead her.

Does this plan for one year sound overzealous? I would be fine to downshift to 3 books. Out of the 4 I mentioned, the only one I've ever taught was Mr. Popper's Penguins. (YEARS ago, it used to be part of the 2nd grade package) Our family is very familiar with MPP, as well as Paddington, as we've listened to the audiobooks so many times.

Am I incorrect in thinking that having familiarity with a book would help with comprehension? Meaning, Mr Popper's Penguins may be a better fit than My Side of the Mountain because she's familiar with the story?

Plans for 2021-22

DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          If you do Paddington, Poppers, My Side of the Mountain and Homer Price, you will set yourself up to be able to do the SC 9/10 novels. (It schedules Crickets, Blue Fairy, Heidi and 21 Balloons) - I know she is doing Heidi now, but dropping down to 3 books that year (there are some other picture book type books sprinkled in there as well) might just be what you all need. I'd suggest buying the two year pace and simply skipping Heidi - you will likely be able to move through the progression faster. There are several extra days scheduled simply to re-read the novel in the two year pace. You may not need them all. (so I'm thinking the two year pace, minus Heidi will take you 1 year is what I am trying to say!)
          I'm totally fine with rearranging things in whatever fashion flows well and works best. Now that I'm looking at it again, I'm wondering if 4 books next year is overzealous.

In other words ---- I'm NOT in a hurry, and if there are books we don't get to, that's OK, too. I don't want to repeat any that we've already studied, and I don't want to get in over our heads.

So maybe 3 books next year is the answer? OR just follow the SC 5/6 1 year plans, skipping FB and CW and just focus on Paddington, MPP, and poetry? We could also do the read aloud selections.

(I'm feeling like this may be a really good solution, and certainly less complicated than pulling from different levels)
          Plans for 2021-22

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I'm totally fine with rearranging things in whatever fashion flows well and works best. Now that I'm looking at it again, I'm wondering if 4 books next year is overzealous.

In other words ---- I'm NOT in a hurry, and if there are books we don't get to, that's OK, too. I don't want to repeat any that we've already studied, and I don't want to get in over our heads.

So maybe 3 books next year is the answer? OR just follow the SC 5/6 1 year plans, skipping FB and CW and just focus on Paddington, MPP, and poetry? We could also do the read aloud selections.

(I'm feeling like this may be a really good solution, and certainly less complicated than pulling from different levels)

Well, if you are leaning towards doing Paddington and Charlotte's Web - I would actually get the 2 year SC 5/6 pace. Now, I wouldn't suggest this to a new user, but since you are experienced..... In the one year pace CW comes before Paddington. However, in the 2 year pace, Paddington comes first (I'm guessing it has to do with how it all worked out with the pacing). This might give you the pacing you need. I know I am tempted with my smart (but special needs kid) kid to move a little faster and low and behold there is MUCH resistance. When I stick to the guide..I'm not saying it is perfect, but it's a much better outcome for us both. I can take the time and answer all his questions and break down the questions more. We are using the actual student guide, so I do break it down a little differently than the guide. (I usually take two days to do the student guide) He reads it to himself one day and listens the next.
            Christine

(2021/2022)
            DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Based on everything above including Christine's helpful ideas, I like your original plan but changing the order slightly to start with the easiest selection by lexile:

Paddington
              Mr. Popper's

My Side of the Mountain
              Homer Price

- Omit one (e.g., MSM or HP) if needed.
              - Do include poetry. The selections are scheduled in your SC plans.
              - Add or sub our SC Read-Alouds if you need to take a breather at any point.

As Christine mentioned, this will align you to be prepared for 9&10.

As you mentioned, your daughter's strong reading/decoding and familiarity with MPP will make the above progression doable for her!

Comment

Thanks, ladies! cherylswope howiecram

This gave me plenty to chew on. Now the next hurdle is letting her know she will be at home with me for literature. 😳 That's going to be a tough bridge to cross.
                Plans for 2021-22

Comment

Working...
                X