Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

What are the cons of using a whiteboard in place of workbooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the cons of using a whiteboard in place of workbooks?

The short story is that my dd is dealing with headaches that are brought on by looking down. She has been receiving treatment for this since she was a week old, and, even though I expect eventual improvement, it is a fact of life right now. Until we can decrease the frequency and intensity of these headaches, I am considering having my dd write on a whiteboard, instead of the workbooks. I know this is not ideal. However, missing a week of school due to a headache isn't ideal either. In fact, she kind of misses out on LIFE when she has a headache. What are the cons of switching to using a whiteboard instead of a workbook, and how do I compensate? How do I keep record of her work??? TIA!

I honestly can’t think of a single con to this. She’s still studying, still writing, etc. I would use that whiteboard and not think twice about it.

For records, you could take a photo of each lesson. If they’re uploaded to Dropbox, they won’t eat up your phone’s storage. But I would only do this if your state, or any services she receives, require records.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

jen1134 Thank you! It is so nice to be able to check with more experienced moms before I make adaptations. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
        The short story is that my dd is dealing with headaches that are brought on by looking down. She has been receiving treatment for this since she was a week old, and, even though I expect eventual improvement, it is a fact of life right now. Until we can decrease the frequency and intensity of these headaches, I am considering having my dd write on a whiteboard, instead of the workbooks. I know this is not ideal. However, missing a week of school due to a headache isn't ideal either. In fact, she kind of misses out on LIFE when she has a headache. What are the cons of switching to using a whiteboard instead of a workbook, and how do I compensate? How do I keep record of her work??? TIA!
        Jessica,
        I don't have the full scoop on your situation, but I will tell you that we noticed that one con of white-boarding was that there was not information IN the workbooks for later review. I solved this by taking notes for my younger kids in their guides for things we did orally. I currently do this for Christian Studies II with my 9 year old. We read and discuss, he forms a good answer, and dictates it to me. When we study for the Unit Review there's something in there to study (written by me) versus blank pages. This may not be an issue at all for you, but I wanted to share this experience in case it helps!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

pickandgrin Thank you!

Comment

Thank you al!!!!! We installed a whiteboard beside my daughter's desk. She actually said, "Thank you." for it. She ENJOYED doing her R&S English on it. I am pretty surprised. I was just hoping to prevent headaches, but it was even better- she happily wrote out the entire lesson with no complaints. Thank you all for taking the time to answer my myriad of questions!

Comment

This is an excellent report! So happy for you!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
              12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
              10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
              7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home
              Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0CE7CD38-2682-4091-9F0F-30B051913C96.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	132973 We use dry erase boards all the time. I do like ones with lines on them otherwise the handwriting goes a bit crazy. You might also look into a drafting table desk where you can angle the top surface to your desired angle. We had one that was also height adjustable. Another idea if you do need to write in a book is to get a drawing board. This one we bought with right start level G has a nice large surface with legs that make the back stand up and rubberized stops on the front so the front of the board can hang off the front edge of the table. I tried propping it up in the back to get it more vertical and it is very sturdy. We tape math worksheets to it, but the t square is attached and slid down to the bottom will keep the book from sliding off. Just another option to consider.
                Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                DD College Freshman
                DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Mom2mthj Wow! Is there any chance that you could drop a link?

Comment

sorry I can’t seem to paste links on here since the last major update. Here is the website where I purchased mine

Store.rightstart.com
                    Search for deluxe drawing board

the brand Alvin and it is called PXB Parallel Straightedge Drawing Board if you want to look it up elsewhere. It is about $85 and I sort of choked at the price initially, but it is sturdy and really well made. I have it propped up on a my son’s chemistry book to play around with a higher angle and it still seems sturdy. Hope this helps.
                    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                    DD College Freshman
                    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Mom2mthj Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X