Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

EGR I - how did your kids do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR I - how did your kids do?

Were your struggling/special needs students able to memorize and apply the rules they learned in this course? I understand it is meant to be a compliment to Latin. I am not sure how beneficial it is to my boys, to be honest. We're reviewing the rule (they are doing EGR I and II), but I am just not sure about this course. My son doing EGR I is more the struggling student.

In my family we have not found it to be "explicit" enough. I know MP used to use R&S grammar and I have gone to using that instead of the EGR. We use the R&S text more as oral work/drill (it also has questions for you to ask/review) and then the worksheet booklet I use for the written work. We do some examples on the board as well, if I see that my child is struggling with a concept (which he has.....).

I am sure if I did better job teaching the EGR + Core Skills Grammar it would have worked better, but it felt kind of all over the place with the two resources. I personally decided that if I needed to explicitly teach then the 1 text worked better for us.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Originally posted by KrisTom View Post
      Were your struggling/special needs students able to memorize and apply the rules they learned in this course? I understand it is meant to be a compliment to Latin. I am not sure how beneficial it is to my boys, to be honest. We're reviewing the rule (they are doing EGR I and II), but I am just not sure about this course. My son doing EGR I is more the struggling student.
      I have “natural memorizers” who learn things by rote pretty easily, so the memorization part has not been hard for us. We use the EGR workbooks (because I feel that writing the rules down cements them better for my kids) but we do not use the Core Skills Phonics books. We are using Rod & Staff English 4 in conjunction with EGR1 and it’s working fine. The thing you have to keep in mind is that EGR functions like a database from which your children can draw. It’s meant to be used in conjunction with other programs that serve as prompts. When you come across an application of one of the rules in reading, writing or grammar practice (such as in R&S or Latina Christiana) you can say, “What’s Capitalization Rule #4?” or “What’s the definition of a sentence?” and they can “access their database” to recall it. EGR should not take more than 30 minutes — max — every lesson. That’s time well spent, in my opinion. Even if you chuck all the other paraphernalia associated with EGR, use the flashcards for 10 minutes a day and you’ll benefit.

Just my $0.02
      “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
      Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
      Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
      Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

I think the program is a little misunderstood as well. The ability for students to apply the rules will lag behind their ability to memorize or even spontaneously recall the rules. Every teacher training video acknowledged this.

This may not be an issue for your students, but children with executive functioning issues will struggle even more with implementing the rules because their minds have a hard time slowing down the pace of their writing to match the rule governing the capitalization, spelling or punctuation required.

I use the rules all.the.time. in Latin, Classical Composition and spelling with my students. I love the ones about 3 questions adjectives answer and 4 questions adverbs answer. There are thousands upon thousands of words in English with myriad parts of speech and meanings with the same spelling of a word. So, mastery of the rule and its application will be a continual process.

The important thing is that if the rules are understood conceptually (verifiable through the weekly lesson examples), you can continue to reference them as you go through the editing process in CC or translation exercises in Latin. It takes high motivation to get the writing process down. See if your student(s) can catch their errors after editing their writing. I found that if my students had to read aloud to each other or swap work and edit (5th and up)...or share with the parent who isn't the primary teacher, there is a renewed level of motivation to get it right. I always tell my kids (I teach one who isn't my own) that it's excellent that their elevated sentence structure outpaces their ability to properly punctuate it.

All of the above should exclude a student who can memorize the rule but not implement it properly in exercises or who cannot find errors in the revision process or even string together a cogent sentence. In that instance, the program may have value, but it might be time to back up to a foundational program like Simply Classical Writing.

As a side note, we love Rod & Staff grammar. My eldest went through a few levels and still routinely punctuates sporadically according to the rules upon first draft. I am not worried because they are caught upon editing, and in my experience, this is the most important part.

Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
        SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

I dropped EGR because my student will be very unlikely to progress far enough in Latin and EGR to be able to finish the program, leaving his grammar studies incomplete (in his case, likely very incomplete).
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
          ds 25, graduated
          dd 11th Grade
          dd 8th Grade
          ds 6th Grade

Comment

Working...
          X