Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

5/6 in One or Two Years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5/6 in One or Two Years?

Alas! My oldest boy is slated to finish SC 4 before the end of October. I am looking at SC 5/6, assessed him, and he is very excited about the materials! I am pondering whether I should plan for him to complete the levels in one or two years? What are the pros and cons?
    2021~2022
    DD (16) Independent Study (Greek, Piano, Voice)
    DS (12) SC4 ADD, Dyslexia
    DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
    DS3 (6) SCC

The general recommendation is the two year pace. We started the 1 year pace, following the common advice to take a few weeks to get through 2 weeks. Well, 10 weeks later we were still kind of operating at the "half speed". I ended up ordering the two year pace and suddenly we were on week 20! It was very refreshing to actually use the two year pace guide. . The only thing that we didn't keep at that pace was the Latin. Doing 1 lesson every two weeks, was perfect for us rather than 1 lesson every 4 weeks). (We also just did 1 lesson a day in math, completing R&S 3).
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Thank you Christine! Did you go through the Two Year Pace in two years? Or did you move along more quickly in the two year program?
      2021~2022
      DD (16) Independent Study (Greek, Piano, Voice)
      DS (12) SC4 ADD, Dyslexia
      DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
      DS3 (6) SCC

Comment

I did find that we did not need 10 days to do the material. It was more like 6-7, making it more like 1.5 years. That seemed like a good compromise to me.
        Christine

(2021/2022)
        DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
        DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
        DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1

Comment

I’m using 5/6 with my just tuned 11 year old who has focusing struggles. He is in 7/8 math and science but everything else lines up perfectly with 5/6. I bought the 2 year guide because I wasn’t sure how long the lessons would take and I have several other children. I’m glad I did. I do feel like we are moving at them faster than the pace of the guide, but it’s easy to just keep plugging forward and I don’t feel stressed that I’m not getting enough done each day. My guess is it will also take us about 1.5 years to complete it.
          2021-2022
          DS 17- 12th
          DS 16- 10th
          DS 13- 7th
          DS 11- 5th
          DS 8- 3rd
          DS 6- 1st- attends Catholic school for the time being
          DD 4 - K
          DD 2
          DD- 13 months
          DS- due 2/2022

Comment

Originally posted by Brooksfamily9 View Post
            I do feel like we are moving at them faster than the pace of the guide, but it’s easy to just keep plugging forward and I don’t feel stressed that I’m not getting enough done each day..
            ^^^This is exactly how I felt. I think MOST days we did a little more than what it said each day, but if we "only" did as much as it said that day I felt really good! The Fridays are almost pure review in every subject. We didn't need quite as much review as is built in. Also at 1 lesson every 2 weeks, the review weeks (in CS, GM, etc) we didn't really need. We did the work, but in just a few days vice the 10 scheduled. *I should note that my child doesn't have any learning disabilities that I know of, we use SC more for behavioral/emotional issues to which we are medication and seeking treatment for*
            Christine

(2021/2022)
            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years

Comment

Working...
            X