Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Adjusting Science in SC 5-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting Science in SC 5-6

Hello All,

I thought I had everything all worked out for the upcoming school year, but then we had to make some unexpected adjustments. Now I'm back to the drawing board with science. I am feeling like the Rod and Staff 3rd grade science, God's Protected World, that is scheduled in the SC 5-6 curriculum manual, may not be a good fit for my son. I don't want him to feel bad because he's doing science from a 3rd grade textbook.

My daughter wants to do botany, and I will probably have her do the Book of Trees and Birds (She's an 8th grader). These 2 MP science options seem more appropriate for my son, as well, and I like to do content subjects together, if possible.

I would love input from others who have used SC 5-6 as is. How did your child like the science that is scheduled? Did you choose to sub it out? If so, with what?

I don't want to overwhelm my son, but science is his favorite subject, so I don't want it to be something he feels is beneath him. However, with his hyperlexia diagnosis, I also have to be careful not to make it too content/text heavy.

Thanks for your thoughts/input.

RuthAnn

I'll be honest and say that the ramp up from previous years in so many other areas meant we simply did not do science in SC 5 (we are going to finish 5/6 this coming year - we did the two year pace). My son did, however, read nearly every science book in the K-2 science enrichment plus he asked for these kinds of books to read from the library. My younger daughter will be doing SC4 which has mammals, so I plan to have the two work on that. Also on that note, I personally have found that having my older daughter do anything with her younger brother leaves my son feeling like a failure if he isn't as "fast" as her. So, I have stopped anything that he could remotely find competitive. You may not have that situation in your home, but thought I would share.

I do own the R&S science book and I really don't think it would be "beneath" him and there are experiments, etc. If you haven't done mammals though, I might consider him doing that instead of trying to do two sciences in one year with him though. The mammals study can be enhanced by visits to the zoo, WildKratts, drawing, etc. There are also some amazing National Geographic episodes about animals on Disney +.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Thanks so much for your input, Christine! That's what I needed - a word from someone who has been there, done that.

As I have looked through all of the materials that my son will be using for SC 5-6 (1 year pace), I can see that he will be working on a lot of material in the other subject areas, so I think you are right about scaling back rather than ramping up. It's just hard to think that he is technically in 10th grade, and I should be giving him something that is worth a credit. Old ideals die hard.

You are right about the competitive thing, too. My daughter is younger than my son who struggles, so it makes it worse when she is faster/better than him on a subject that they are doing together. Originally, I had it all worked out where they would be separate on everything except our morning Bible time, but like I said, plans abruptly changed leaving me to rethink things.

Hmm! Decisions, decisions!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

RuthAnn

Comment

Quick add: My son is 13 and we are (all — my 11 and 9 year olds as well) doing Rod and Staff Science 4 l, God’s Inspired World, this year. It’s a comprehensive program that touches on many different aspects of science. The chapters can be taught in any order (they are all self-contained). So you may pick and choose which portions to complete (or discard) and not feel “guilty”. It has worksheets and tests — very “grown up” at a younger pace. You might also want to check that out. As far as the “grade”attached to each guide, you could explain that it’s “part 4” or “volume 4” — neither of which is untrue. Milestone Books has samples to look over if you’d like.
        “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
        Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
        Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
        Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Anita. I was wondering about other levels of Rod and Staff Science. What made you decide on R&S Science 4? It's not scheduled in SC 7-8, so just wondering what made you decide to use it. I am using Rod and Staff Math and Spelling 4 with him, so level 4 of R&S science seems like a no brainer. LOL! I do like the fact that it's comprehensive and covers different aspects of science. My son is missing a lot of foundational knowledge that he didn't get because he wasn't absorbing/comprehending all along like most kids usually do.

I did ask him today whether he would like to study birds, animals or plants, and he promptly replied, "Birds". I was surprised. He doesn't usually answer quickly and decisively. BUT . . . I am drawn by the comprehensive nature of Rod and Staff.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's really helpful to know how other moms are tweaking things to make them work for their children.

RuthAnn

Comment

Anita,

I just took a look at the topics in Rod and Staff Science 4, and I really like them. I think they will be interesting to my son. Definitely not little kiddish at all. Thanks!

Comment

I just wanted to add that the topics in the 3rd grade science are not little kiddish, either. But after comparing 3 and 4, I think the 4th grade topics topics will be more appealing to my 17 year old son.

RuthAnn

Comment

Happy to help! 😄 I decided on Rod and Staff 4 because my kids are sort of in the same boat as your son. They all love science, but need a varied foundation. I have two late talkers )and comprehend-ers) and an “on-grade” 9 year old. I am using MP as a spine and pulling from other curriculum providers for different subjects. Rod and Staff Science just looked good, to be honest. (LOL) It seems gentle, approachable, but also comprehensive. (I think that’s called “The Goldilocks” fit — not too hard, not too soft.)

Let me know if you need more information. We haven’t used it yet, but I have the entire set if you have specific concerns.
                “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
                Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
                Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

Working...
                X