Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Lesson Plans For Child To See

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson Plans For Child To See

My child wants to know what we are doing in a day, but gets overwhelmed when she sees the checklist. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought about creating a lift-the-flap display. She would see all of the subjects for the day, but none of the assignments. She could lift the Latin flap to see what we are doing in Latin that day, then close it so that she doesn't have to see Latin assignments while doing composition. I know that this probably sounds ridiculous, but I don't know what to do. She needs to know what's coming, but not see everything all at once. I also need a system that will not take a ridiculous amount of time to update each night. Does anyone have any ideas???? Thank you.

Good morning! Would it help if she could see only the list of subjects she will cover? You might make a simple template to look something like this:

Recitation
    Latin
    Math
    Literature
    Spelling
    Cursive
    Enrichment

You could laminate this or place under a plastic cover on which she checks completed lessons as she goes.

In this way she would not see all of the "sub-boxes" beneath each subject heading in the planner. Each day would become the same, which might lessen the overwhelming feeling, as she comes to know that she will accomplish everything if she keeps moving through her lessons.

Would that help?

Comment

Cheryl Thank you. Maybe. This last year I used a printed form that had that day's independent assignments, because there were things that she could do on her own. The form listed the subject with room for the assignment. There was a box to check off each assignment as it was completed. It was all well within her ability. She can sit down at her desk and desk and independently complete all the activities in about an hour. Everything needed for independent work is in her workbox system beside her desk. Some times she just gets overwhelmed...even though it's familiar. Then she stalls and doddles, maybe even cries. Looking at third grade, I am not sure how to proceed. It looks like we might be back to doing, or at least starting, almost everything together. If we are doing everything together than a simple list of subjects would probably be best. Honestly, I feel a little lost. Is it normal for a child to be a little independent in second grade, but then to have to go back to more hand holding in third grade, with the increase in workload? Am I off some how?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
        Cheryl Thank you. Maybe. This last year I used a printed form that had that day's independent assignments, because there were things that she could do on her own. The form listed the subject with room for the assignment. There was a box to check off each assignment as it was completed. It was all well within her ability. She can sit down at her desk and desk and independently complete all the activities in about an hour. Everything needed for independent work is in her workbox system beside her desk. Some times she just gets overwhelmed...even though it's familiar. Then she stalls and doddles, maybe even cries. Looking at third grade, I am not sure how to proceed. It looks like we might be back to doing, or at least starting, almost everything together. If we are doing everything together than a simple list of subjects would probably be best. Honestly, I feel a little lost. Is it normal for a child to be a little independent in second grade, but then to have to go back to more hand holding in third grade, with the increase in workload? Am I off some how?
        I know that your response was directed toward Cheryl, but I hope you don't mind if I respond, too; both my older kiddos (almost 13 neurotypical and 15 special needs) can become visually overwhelmed by the number of books, assignments, etc. We have workbox systems for both of them and write down assignments. My oldest tends to stall or become distracted, too. I know that there are families where the kids are super-motivated to get their assignments done on their own, but that's not the case for us here!

It frustrated me in previous years that they weren't more "independent", but I've learned that they want to please and do things correctly and also don't want to waste their own time. The work-load between 2nd and 3rd does seem a little more "serious" so I think it's normal for a student to need a little more guidance.

So, for a subject like Latin, typically, on Monday (or the day of introducing a lesson), I am right there at the table or watching the DVD (and reciting with them) and ensuring they are off to a good start. As the week progresses, I try to get further off from their elbows; if they're working at the kitchen table, I might say, "I'm working here at dinner prep, but I'm glad to stop if you need some help." That has worked really well for us.

I realize that by college-age, they will need to really understand how to work independently -- but at third grade, I think doing things together is appropriate. And now that my older kids are getting a bit more independent, I relish the time we are spending together learning because it's going by so quickly!

Laura
        Laura H.

DD: 16, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
        DD: 13 (8M with FFL Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
        DD: 9 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
        DD: 9 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Comment

MarmeeLaura Thank you. This is all helpful. I am sorry that I keep asking similar questions about scheduling, but I need to get this hammered out so that I am not stressing my daughter out over nothing. I think you are right. I need to work with her more. I was so sick last year that we got into the habit of having her do a lot of things independently. Between everything that you have shared with me lately, and Cheryl's advise, I think I have a better idea of how to do this. Thank you!!!!

Comment

Jessica Louise No apology is necessary; it's vital that we home educators go into a new learning challenge with our best foot forward and the confidence that we have made optimal choices for our students. Always happy to chat about these things, as I know I have had to deal with similar situations over the years.

Laura
            Laura H.

DD: 16, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
            DD: 13 (8M with FFL Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
            DD: 9 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
            DD: 9 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Comment

Part of my Sunday routine is to place Post-it page flags on the start page and stop page of the student text and a "current lesson" post-it in the student workbook and teacher's manual, since these are usually a two-page splay. This requires no written display of the workload, although which pages are required for reading and completing are evident. Pretty soon your sweet girl is going to have the routine so down pat that she will instinctively reach for the next book set on the shelf. I post our "Order of the Day" poster as Cheryl mentioned. It really helps. If my eldest has any questions when I'm busy, she knows where to look in the manual, but it's nice that her books are all marked so that she can open and go on to the next thing. Even when I've had a crazy weekend and forgotten to move the page markers, she does the next lesson with no writing in it! They remember pretty well. The only subjects that aren't sequential are Core Skills Language Arts, Timeline and Poetry. Latin also tends to have different activities on different days (sometimes with more than one worksheet/workbook rotating in and out). You might enjoy printing out the individual Lesson Plans and cutting them into a horizontal strip for the week to post on a bulletin board in front of her desk or in a plastic sleeve at the top of her desk, especially for those subjects that aren't a single set of pages for the whole week. One subject is not nearly as overwhelming as eight.

I have loved meeting my kids' needs in unique ways over the years. You just try and try again, experimenting and asking your kids what they think will work. Sometimes they come up with some pretty creative ideas.
              Mama of 2, teacher of 3
              Summer: First Start French I
              SY 22/23
              6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
              MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
              SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

enbateau Thank you. I have done this with certain subjects. I need to think this through. Your suggestion about Latin would certainly make it all work out a little more smoothly. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X