Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Placement Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement Help

Hello All,

I haven't been on here in awhile, but I have come back now that I finally have a clear diagnosis for my 16 year old ( almost 17 year old ) son. He has hyperlexia. What a relief to finally understand why all the accommodating I was doing didn't seem to be helping. We are on a waiting list for some tutoring to help improve his ability to comprehend, but in the meantime, his ability to read and/or listen and comprehend is much lower than his current age/grade level. He can read, spell and do math computation, but higher level thinking skills and comprehension of higher level maths and abstract concepts are not there yet.

After doing the Readiness Assessment for the Simply Classical curriculum, I have come to the conclusion that he is MOSTLY in SC 7-8. I was going to share my substitutions and omissions, and see if you all can point out anything that I am missing. So, I plan to use SC 7-8 as is, except for:

Math - He is currently using Prodigy, but I am not sure what I will use in the fall that will not offend him but will allow him continued practice with his basic math skills until he is ready to attempt higher level math. I am open to suggestions here. He has done 2 different pre algebra courses the last 2 years, but neither has stuck.

Spelling - He used Spelling You See this year, but I am not sure that I will continue with that. Would Rod and Staff Spelling 6 or ???? be a good fit?

Science - This is the one subject that he really enjoys. It is more hands on and visual, which is what he is good at. We have a couple of classes at co op, and I have some other options that I will consider in place of the Astronomy assigned in SC 7-8.

Writing Practice Set - I think I will include this because he is able to write, and he can use the practice expressing his thoughts on paper (even if he just copies them after we have discussed his answer.).

Latina Christiana - I will have to use the lesson plans for Latin from SC 5-6 since he has not yet done that, correct?

Myself & Others Core Set 3 - He scored very low in Social, Emotion, Attention, etc. He just has not 'picked up' the social cues the way most kids do.

So that's it, I think. My only other question is, "How do you decide whether to go at the 1 year pace or the 2 year pace?" I think he could handle the 1 year pace, but I don't want to assume that. How do you decide?

Thanks so much for reading all of this, and I look forward to hearing any input you all may be able to provide.

RuthAnn

Originally posted by RuthAnn View Post
    Hello All,

I haven't been on here in awhile, but I have come back now that I finally have a clear diagnosis for my 16 year old ( almost 17 year old ) son. He has hyperlexia. What a relief to finally understand why all the accommodating I was doing didn't seem to be helping. We are on a waiting list for some tutoring to help improve his ability to comprehend, but in the meantime, his ability to read and/or listen and comprehend is much lower than his current age/grade level. He can read, spell and do math computation, but higher level thinking skills and comprehension of higher level maths and abstract concepts are not there yet.

After doing the Readiness Assessment for the Simply Classical curriculum, I have come to the conclusion that he is MOSTLY in SC 7-8. I was going to share my substitutions and omissions, and see if you all can point out anything that I am missing. So, I plan to use SC 7-8 as is, except for:

Math - He is currently using Prodigy, but I am not sure what I will use in the fall that will not offend him but will allow him continued practice with his basic math skills until he is ready to attempt higher level math. I am open to suggestions here. He has done 2 different pre algebra courses the last 2 years, but neither has stuck.

Spelling - He used Spelling You See this year, but I am not sure that I will continue with that. Would Rod and Staff Spelling 6 or ???? be a good fit?

Science - This is the one subject that he really enjoys. It is more hands on and visual, which is what he is good at. We have a couple of classes at co op, and I have some other options that I will consider in place of the Astronomy assigned in SC 7-8.

Writing Practice Set - I think I will include this because he is able to write, and he can use the practice expressing his thoughts on paper (even if he just copies them after we have discussed his answer.).

Latina Christiana - I will have to use the lesson plans for Latin from SC 5-6 since he has not yet done that, correct?

Myself & Others Core Set 3 - He scored very low in Social, Emotion, Attention, etc. He just has not 'picked up' the social cues the way most kids do.

So that's it, I think. My only other question is, "How do you decide whether to go at the 1 year pace or the 2 year pace?" I think he could handle the 1 year pace, but I don't want to assume that. How do you decide?

Thanks so much for reading all of this, and I look forward to hearing any input you all may be able to provide.

RuthAnn

Hi, RuthAnn!

For math, this will depend on his future plans and on how long you intend to homeschool. It could be that he needs more time with the foundations of arithmetic, or it could be that he needs a different approach for pre-algebra, such as VideoText. See what you think of the VideoText options as you decide. Sometimes after arithmetic, if higher math becomes too abstract or difficult, we move to a consumer/practical math to assist with personal finance and business transactions. Much will depend on your situation. The readiness assessments in math from SC 5&6 through 9&10 will help you know where to begin if he needs more of the basics.

For spelling, you might consider R&S Spelling 4 or 5 this year with 6 next year. You can view samples online. We teach from R&S Spelling 4 in SC 7&8:
    Initial, final, and medial sounds; blends, long and short vowels; digraphs and diphthongs; variant vowel sounds; different spellings for one sound; modified vowels; double consonants; modified vowels; prefixes, abbreviations, words that compare, contractions, possessive nouns, compound words.
    Sample words: again, because, body, built, caught, could, enough, friendly, guess, health, instead, often, prayer.

For writing and literature, yes, the Literature Guides are packed with good things for you. If he can manage the writing, add those student guides!

LC - Correct, you will need the SC 5&6 Latina Christiana.

M&O 3 - This is substantive and will include Aesop's Fables, copybook, health, hygiene, manners, and literature. This is intended for a14-week pace with M&O 4 for the remainder of the year. If you need to spread each set over the full year, feel free to do so. You might place this at the top of each day, given his age and his current challenges.

One-Year vs. Two-Year - Your son is older, so he might be able to manage the One-Year pacing. Take a look at the samples to see if he has the stamina for longer days. If not, opt for Two-Year and accelerate when/if he is ready.

Let us know if we can help further!

Comment

Cheryl,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

With math, I think he would still benefit from some more time with the foundations of arithmetic. I have seen you recommend the Keys To Series, and I think I may do that with him this year. I have an older son who is now in community college taking the math he was not ready to take in high school. We basically did 4 years of pre algebra/basic math with him and just called it math 1,2, 3, and 4. Sometimes, that is what you have to do until they are developmentally ready to take on higher level math.

For spelling, I think I will take a look at the samples of the R&S spelling online and see which one fits him best.

Thank you for your input on pacing. I do think he has the stamina for the longer days because he can put in the time if the level of work is appropriate to his ability.

Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

RuthAnn

Comment

G just did R&S Spell 4 and 5. I would encourage you to start with Book 4. It is not babyish or too young.
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

Enigma,

Thank you for mentioning that. When I was perusing the samples, I noticed how much content R&S Spelling covers besides just typical spelling rules. My only concern is that it will be tough for my big 17 year old son to see that 4 on the front of his school book. Maybe I will just remove the cover and binding and put it in a binder. Since he is left handed, that might be better anyway.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this.

RuthAnn

Comment

That is a good idea. G just turned 17, too, by the way.
            The Homeschool Grads:
            J- 6/96
            S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
            G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
            D- 5/05
            F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
            M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
            X