Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Earth Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Science

My 12yo is doing MP nature studies with his siblings but he's very interested in earth science and physics concepts. I wanted to provide him with some free reading for these. I think I still have the Tiner physics book but that series doesn't have an earth science option. Can anyone recommend something similar to the Tiner series in reading level?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

What about the Exploring Planet earth book by Tiner?
    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

It's a history of navigation and exploration rather than that of earth science.
      Jennifer

Comment

jen1134,

Take a look at this supememtal science reading list put together here by Mr. John Mays with Novare/CAP:

https://classicalacademicpress.com/b...-reading-lists

There is a section of supplemental books to go along with the Earth Science text that may be worth a look for you. I highly recommend most of the books he has listed for the Physical Science and Introductory Physics section too since your 12yo is interested in Physics topics too.
        Last edited by Beorn; 05-27-2021, 12:31 PM.
        Tentative Plan '22/'23 - 5th Year MP
        Homeschool Dad & Tutorial Magister
        8S, Rising 3nd MP @ HLN & Home
        6D, Rising 1st MP @ HLN & Home
        4S, Rising K MP @ HLN & Home

Comment

Geology, Oceanography, Weather, and Solar System from Milliken Press
          Christine

(2022/2023)
          DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
          DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
          DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Thanks, Beorn! I think many of the titles are beyond him, but I think there are some that will be a great fit. One of them also reminded me of the science series from Bethlehem Books (Archimedes and the Door to Science, etc).

howiecram I can only find activity books by that name/publisher...are those the ones you meant?
            Jennifer

Comment

Yes, I was thinking they were "books" but I guess it's activities and reading all in one. MODG uses them for 9th grade Earth science. They use it though for composition and research skills. The books say they are for grades 5-9.
              Christine

(2022/2023)
              DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
              DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
              DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

I use Bookshark reading lists as a springboard for good Science reading (and just pleasure reading in general). If he is 12, maybe Level E or F would be a good fit. Go to the Bookshark site; Level E; Science (in the drop down box) and look and see if they have some good titles for you. We used their book lists as “fun” reading from the library last year. There are some true gems in there. Lots of facts, but in an easily digestible format.
                “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                Wonder Boy 14 ... MP5 + R&S Math 6
                Joy Bubble 12 ... MP5 full core
                Cowboy 10 ... MP5 + R&S Math 4
                Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Working...
                X