Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Enrichment & Recitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enrichment & Recitation

So Kate and Ollie are 5 years apart, but pretty close to one another developmentally, at least academically. Currently, we are reading the K enrichment books together, and I'm pulling from JrK and SC C to add books to our bedtime basket.

Ollie is working through JrK (we are doing 2 weeks each week, and he will start MP K when we start our new year the end of August (possibly utilizing the Reading/Phonics plans from SC 1; math is his strength).

Kate just started SC 1 for everything but math (we'll be doing SC C math - math is *not* her strength, though ironically given her speech delays, language is her strength).

So ... do I do their recitation separate from each other? What about enrichments? I was planning MP K enrichment next year with all components, but I also like the built in Nature Journal from SC 1. Also, I noticed SC 1 uses both K and 1st grade art cards. Does SC 2 use only the 2nd grade art cards or does it use 1st and 2nd? Anyone merge the different enrichments together? I know once we get to content recitation (MP science, classical studies, etc.), they will each need their own recitation. Will Kate miss anything from the SC 1 recitation if she does the JrK/K recitation the next couple years?
    Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

Good morning!

For Enrichment, SC 1 will be more straightforward for Kate. Questions are simple and brief, content includes picture books for science, and overall prep & teaching time is short. This is intentional, as SC 1 focuses on teaching reading. To answer your questions, SC 2 covers only Second Grade Art Cards. Then SC 3 reviews K, 1, 2. (MP Enrichment will not have a review year of all cards.)

For Recitation, SC 1 will match Kate's Christian Studies, so I would like to see her learn those verses by heart. We draw from JrK/K recitations but the memory work is specific to SC 1.

The good news is that neither SC 1 Enrichment nor SC 1 Recitation requires much time. These are efficient little ways to boost knowledge, working memory, and mastery. She will benefit from joining (or at least overhearing) JrK/K Enrichment and Recitation if you decide to include these for your son, but I think those SC 1 components will suit her well. Some busy families combine everyone into SC 1 Enrichment because it is streamlined to be achievable. My Nature Journal is a bonus, as especially this past year we have learned the importance of being outdoors every day.

I like your plan for SC C math for Kate.When she comes to SC 1 and 2 math, we will include arithmetic read-alouds and various games that might help, given her newly appreciated relative strength of language!

Comment

cherylswope I have the original SC 1 curriculum manual with the white cover. Is there an advantage to getting the new one with the purple cover other than the pretty cover? I compared the sample online with mine and I noticed the copybook assignment was different and the recitation included The Pledge of Allegiance.
      Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

Comment

We tweak as items come to our attention (or as an occasional book goes out of print), so you may notice several changes with the newest edition.

I think your older manual will suffice, but If you want the recently updated (and prettiest), then the new purple version is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
          We tweak as items come to our attention (or as an occasional book goes out of print), so you may notice several changes with the newest edition.

I think your older manual will suffice, but If you want the recently updated (and prettiest), then the new purple version is the best option.
          The struggle is real ?

Comment

One last question (I think). Does the new curriculum manual include which crafts to do from the K enrichment craft book? Or is it open-ended for the parent to pick and choose over the course of the year?

Comment

I'm away now but I do not think we assign many crafts in SC 1.

With so much attention to reading, printing, early arithmetic, and early Christian studies for SC 1, all of which requires student time and energy, we did not emphasize crafts. Some families add them; others are simply relieved!

Comment

Working...
              X