Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Math Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math Woes

So, it's a given that Kate will struggle with math. She's much stronger with language arts. But at what point do you just move on/how many times do you circle backward to work again with a topic that's not getting through? We are working through Jr. K with her younger brother and doing the R&C C workbook. On a whole, she consistently gets "more". But "less" and "between" are not getting through. She also struggles with things like "color 5 apples" - we have to review frequently, "Ok, how many are we supposed to color? 5. That's right. How many have you colored already? 3? Ok, that's not 5 yet, so we have to color more."

We have a second copy of R&S C so we can go backward and try again, but at what point is it better to move on and hope that the next time we come across that concept, it might make more sense? Should I bother with going backward in R&S C or must move on to the Numbers & Colors? Or switch to SC C and start the Numbers Book part 1?

She's kind of all over the place. Right now she's doing FSR A (and enjoying Michelle Tefertiller's streaming videos - she repeats after Michelle and is learning the recitation). But she's also doing the Alphabet Books with her brother (more so for more fine motor work than for the phonics part; if we take longer on math or the FSR is longer, I tend to drop the Alphabet book for that day. We actually bumped her brother back to JrK for the rest of this school year for his maturity for K/SC 1 caught up as he's a late September boy). Help.

(Due to a very intense now 5 year old, we dropped pretty much all academics with Kate for quite a while ... kind of benign neglect ... and she actually really blossomed in many ways, especially speech, willingness to listen to stories, and more complex play with her Barbies and dolls. So though she's 10, we are cognitively at the SC C/MP JrK levels.)
    Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

I think you can move forward or switch to SC C, but continue working with the language concepts in physical, tangible ways. Place 5 counting gems in front of her, rather than (or at least before presenting) the page of 5 items.

It sounds as if SC C Number Lessons will suit her better than SC 1 Arithmetic; would you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      I think you can move forward or switch to SC C, but continue working with the language concepts in physical, tangible ways. Place 5 counting gems in front of her, rather than (or at least before presenting) the page of 5 items.

It sounds as if SC C Number Lessons will suit her better than SC 1 Arithmetic; would you agree?
      I'll make a note to remember getting out manipulatives before we tackle the workbook pages. I've also been trying to use the number line for working with "before" and "after". (I have the big box of R&S math flashcards, too, which we tend use each day.) I debated going straight to SC 1, but I think she'd benefit from some more practice with numbers before we start it. I'm afraid it would get too much too quickly for her, and then we'd be kind of stuck.

I think I'll buy the SC C math lesson plans; I am so thankful for individual lesson plans so I don't have to juggle the JrK manual for O, SC C for Kate's math, and SC 1 for reading/phonics. What I really should do is always purchase the individual SC math plans for her as it's the one area where I see her not being at the same level as the rest of the subjects. Ironically, language is her strength.
      Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

Comment

Working...
      X