Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 5&6 vs third grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC 5&6 vs third grade

What is the difference between SC 5&6 and third grade? I have a student that wants to learn, and does great, until it comes to a lot spelling and handwriting. Third grade should be just fine, but since we've decided against third grade accelerated, do to how much writing there is in accelerated, I thought that I would pop over here and see what the difference between standard and SC is. Thank you!

BTW, my daughter's spelling isn't terrible, we just haven't done any spelling yet (and she has dyslexia) so she isn't as far along as some kids are with their spelling.

Comment

Now you're probably wondering why we haven't started spelling...her hyperlexia does seem to help her spell a lot of things correctly. We had to priotitze a number of other things over spelling, like getting her to eat and bathe, until November, when she totally took off in her abilities. Maybe her brain was finally healed enough from the concussion to start rolling again? Anyway, I guess the quantity of handwriting is a bigger deal than anything. Sorry for rambling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
        What is the difference between SC 5&6 and third grade? I have a student that wants to learn, and does great, until it comes to a lot spelling and handwriting. Third grade should be just fine, but since we've decided against third grade accelerated, do to how much writing there is in accelerated, I thought that I would pop over here and see what the difference between standard and SC is. Thank you!
        Jessica,

I'm sure that those more "in the know" will respond here to help you discern, but we're in the same boat between those Curriculum Guides with our eight-year-old twins.

I have pored over the online samples and here's my two-cents regarding the writing and spelling:

The spelling in SC 5&6 is Traditional Spelling II, while 3M uses "Spelling Workout" Level D. We've used "Spelling Workout" with our older girls and it's fine -- BUT -- one of the pages in each lesson shows some of the words spelled incorrectly (on purpose to see if the student can catch it); our oldest is hyperlexic and she hated that. I am planning on using Traditional Spelling for third grade no matter what. (We have done minimal formal spelling with our eight-year-olds this year, but using dictation from the First Start Reading series; I totally hear you about other things in real life being more important than spelling.)

Both use New American Cursive 3.

The literature guides are the same, but SC 5&6 packages do not include the student guides. You could reduce the amount of writing just by answering the questions orally.

SC 5&6 uses MP Intro to Composition and 3M uses "All Things Fun & Fascinating" from IEW. I have both and am planning to use MP Intro to Composition because it ties in so well with the Literature Guides.

The two guides also have different science selections. And the pacing looks a little different; both study Latina Christiana I, but SC 5&6 includes daily work instead of 3 days a week with 3M.

Hope this helps you!
        Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
        DD: 13 (8M with SFL & NBO Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
        DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
        DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Comment

Jessica Louise, MarmeeLaura gave you a great comparison! I think that with your daughter's history of dyslexia, hyperlexia, and recent concussion, you will be very happy with the pacing and content of SC 5&6 Two-Year. After you achieve a suitable teaching rhythm with the various resources in SC 5&6, you can accelerate the pacing as she is able. The smaller "bites," increased review, and daily lessons of Latin helped my children tremendously with Latina Christiana. Pairing writing with our literature selections helped them as well, so in SC 5&6 we teach from Intro to Comp which pairs with our SC 5&^ literature readings, just as MarmeeLaura described.

The only item you might switch is science. Choose Mammals for science with the SC 4 lesson plans, if you have not yet taught from this.

Comment

cherylswope I just emailed you. I am hoping to get your opinion.

Comment

Jessica Louise, and I just responded. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X