Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

8 year old phonics update & question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 year old phonics update & question

Hello! I wanted to give an update on my 8 year old with dyslexia. He has had a fantastic school year so far, even with many disruptions due to illness and crazy winter weather! He has completed the Barton program through Level 3 and now can read the Primary Phonics books through Set 3. While the rest of the family had Covid, he spent hours reading along with Learning Ally's recordings of all the Magic Tree House books and then the Little House books. Through that, he learned every sight word in First Start Reading A-D (and many others).

I could start him on Barton Level 4, since I know that works for him. But, he may be able to move a little more quickly now. He's completed the equivalent of SC Phonics Level 1. I was looking at Level 2, and it doesn't seem to use FSR E. Am I missing that, or what is used in place of that book to teach the vowel teams? He can read the vowel teams now, having learned them by sight through Learning Ally, but he cannot spell them.

What would be a possible next step for him in Phonics/Reading/Spelling/Writing if I did not use Barton Level 4?
    Catherine

2021-22
    DS18, 12th
    DS15, 9th
    DS & DD13, 8th
    DS9, 3rd
    DD6, 1st
    DS3
    DS & DS born August 26!

Congratulations, Catherine! How wonderful for both of you!

You are correct that in Level 2 we do not yet teach FSR E. In Level 2 we're working on reading fluency with known phonics and teaching new phonics skills (e..g, r-controlled vowels) incrementally. in Level 2 SC Spelling and SC Writing are kept simple and straightforward for mastery.

We introduce FSR E in Level 3, but some families teach FSR E prior to Level 3.

Comment

I didn’t even think to look ahead to Level 3. Now I see that. He is actually probably closer to SC Phonics Level 3 than to Level 2.

I have mentioned on this forum many times how pleased I’ve been with the Barton program so far. My difficulty with it at this point is that it is getting very tiring for my son to read and write from dictation the extremely contrived sentences with the program’s controlled vocabulary. In Level 4 he is reading multi-syllabic words so the sentences are becoming very convoluted and strange. The reasoning is to never have the student read a word he may have to guess at, but it makes for very uninspiring English lessons.

The other issue is that thanks to reading along with thousands of pages of audiobooks using Learning Ally’s Voice Text feature, his reading fluency has made a huge leap beyond his spelling ability. The Barton program teaches reading and spelling at the same level, which worked well when both were very poor.

Perhaps I could start with the SC Phonics 3 plans. He has learned some of the material in FSR E in Barton already, just not the vowel teams, so we may be able to go through it quickly. We already own Barton Level 4 and have done a few lessons so we can always go back, but we are just weary of it. I would like to have him in MP materials if at all possible. Barton’s letter tiles and their techniques for breaking up words into syllables and syllables into sounds are tools we would carry into any curriculum we used.

Would it be foolish to abandon a program that has worked so well so far?
      Catherine

2021-22
      DS18, 12th
      DS15, 9th
      DS & DD13, 8th
      DS9, 3rd
      DD6, 1st
      DS3
      DS & DS born August 26!

Comment

Having never taught from Barton, this is difficult for me to answer. You might speak with someone there about the benefits/necessity of Level 4 to hear the rationale for staying with the program -- or to reassure yourself that moving on is justified!

How is his writing? Before moving directly to Simply Classical Level 3, you might consider focusing on all or most of these resources as a transition. (Continue with math, of course.)
        - Simply Classical Storytime Treasures
        - Simply Classical Spelling One
        - Simply Classical Writing Book One, Bible edition, perhaps 2 lessons at a time after the first several.
        - FSR E for continued phonics work

Effectively, you will be quickly cherry-picking from Level 2 to focus on the skills he needs, rather than spending 34 weeks at 2, given his stronger fluency and good comprehension. Then you can move directly to Level 3.

When he begins SC Level 3, use the schedule at the front of the SC 3 manual for students who have already completed FSR E.

How does that sound?

Comment

Thank you, Cheryl. I am sure if I speak to a Barton rep, they will encourage me to stay the course. I think the best option for us right now is to mix in some MP materials and do the Barton less days per week, rather than dropping it completely (since it was also pretty expensive). I just placed my MP purchase for next year today and included some of the Simply Classical books from Levels 2 and 3. We can start up FSR E right away since I already have that.

Thanks again!
          Catherine

2021-22
          DS18, 12th
          DS15, 9th
          DS & DD13, 8th
          DS9, 3rd
          DD6, 1st
          DS3
          DS & DS born August 26!

Comment

Sounds like a good plan! Very happy for you --