Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

How do the days flow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do the days flow?

I am new to MP and I just received the Level 2 for special needs for my 9 year old son. I am so excited to get started. I would love to hear from anyone who wishes to share about how your days go with this curriculum. In particular I am curious about the length of each day. Currently with Abeka my other two kids typically go from about 10 AM - 2:30 PM or a little later depending on lunch or play time outside. I start each day with Bible class in the morning from about 8:30 - 9:30 or 9:45 depending on what we are covering that day.

My son has ADHD, speech delay and a cognitive delay so our days can be challenging when he is feeling frustrated. I am very hopeful that MP curriculum will help alleviate that aspect for him and for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jeannie

I think you will find SC2 a welcomed breath of fresh air for your son! When I did SC2 with my oldest we were done in about 1.5-2 hours, depending on the enrichment and how much we delved into it. I did have another child doing SCC at the same time. I would spend about 45 minutes with my oldest (SC2). I would go through the R&S math lesson with her, but let her work on the workbook page on her own (this might not work with your son, it did not for my son when he reached this level). However, after around the 45 min, I would go work with my SC_C child, also about 45 min. We would take a break, have lunch then finish up after lunch. (another 45 minutes or so) The enrichment varies on length of time, so that after lunch time frame varied. Sometimes the read aloud was done at bedtime, and not during school time. You read the book 4 times, so I would just look over the questions and ask them more informally at other various times during the day.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Thank you! This is very helpful. Do you happen to have experience with sixth grade? I am considering MP for my daughter in the fall. I am nervous about the teaching everything myself since I also have two others and one as you know who will need a lot of my time. I am feeling very encouraged hearing about your experience. For sixth grade I am mainly wondering how much time I would need to spend with her and how much is independent time. That might help me decide. I love the idea of them not having to be on the computer, but I need to make sure its a good fit to switch. I am not sure if I need to tag people when I reply so I will just in case. howiecram

I appreciate your thoughts. What a little gem MP is.

Comment

Hello.

Sixth grade should take your student 4-5 hours a day. How independent will your student be? That is truly up to the type of student you have. One thing about MP is that we work for years modeling how to answer a comprehension question, requiring full sentences with correct punctuation and capitalization. So by 6th grade, we can pretty much leave our students to fill in their study guides independently, and then we have a discussion about it. Coming new to MP, you may have to do a little of this work together first, just to let your daughter know what your standards are for her work, but I feel like you can then leave her to do quite a bit of the work herself, checking in with her every day to go over it.

I'm sure others can chime in here with how they work with their 6th graders, but I thought I would get it started for you. You could move this post outside of the SC forum too if people aren't seeing it here. I would move it for you, but I don't know how!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by jremelts View Post
          What a little gem MP is.
          ??? We're happy you found us!

Comment

tanya Thanks! Sara is currently in enrolled in Abeka Academy online in fifth grade. She works well independently. She does have teachers online though teaching each lesson. Part of the reason I want to consider MP for her is that I really want to have some one-on-one with her which I feel will help her come along a little quicker. She understands what she is learning and has come so far with her english grammar skills in such a short time. I like the online academy, but I think a break from that would be nice. I don't like that they have to be online for 6 hours a day. It just seems like a lot. I think MP might be a good fit for my other two kids as well. I love that it's so rich in literature.

Thank you for your thoughts.
            Jeannie

Comment

Working...
            X