Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

9 Year Old Special Needs - Need Direction and advice on curriculum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherylswope
    replied
    Originally posted by jremelts View Post
    So we had our first day today using MP Level 2 for my son. Truly what a breath of fresh air! I could cry. I was worried at first and not because it seemed overwhelming, but because I like to have everything well planned out and ready to go. I was worried that I wouldn't be prepared even after reading through the teacher notes, etc. Our day flowed so well and the worry was for absolutely no reason. I just can't thank you enough for your help. MP made my life a lot less stressful and I can already tell that my son is feeling so encouraged. This is exactly what we both needed. I am so excited to go on this journey with my son using MP. What a blessing!
    jremelts you are very welcome! The best way to thank us is to tell everyone you know! We are still trying to spread the word about Simply Classical far and wide.

We are very happy for you and for your son! Feel free to share successes along the way. They encourage all of us.

Let us know if we can help in any way as you teach --

Cheryl

Leave a comment:

• jremelts
    replied
    So we had our first day today using MP Level 2 for my son. Truly what a breath of fresh air! I could cry. I was worried at first and not because it seemed overwhelming, but because I like to have everything well planned out and ready to go. I was worried that I wouldn't be prepared even after reading through the teacher notes, etc. Our day flowed so well and the worry was for absolutely no reason. I just can't thank you enough for your help. MP made my life a lot less stressful and I can already tell that my son is feeling so encouraged. This is exactly what we both needed. I am so excited to go on this journey with my son using MP. What a blessing!

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    jremelts, welcome! If you can score these three assessments and share here (or privately, cherylswope@memoriapress.com, if you prefer), we can help you know where to begin.

Level 1 Readiness Assessment
    Level 2 Readiness Assessment
    Level 3 Readiness Assessment

As you can see from the responses, we are pleased that you found us!

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    replied
    So glad to hear it, jremelts.

Leave a comment:

• jremelts
    replied
    Thank you to everyone for the replies. I woke up this morning feeling so encouraged knowing that there is help. It can be a very lonely world when you feel like you can't help your child and you aren't doing enough or have the right fit for their education. It's also very challenging when you don't have the right curriculum. I feel like we are on the right path! Praise the Lord. cherylswope thank you for the assessments and I will print them and get them back to you. I appreciate your help!

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    jremelts, welcome! If you can score these three assessments and share here (or privately, cherylswope@memoriapress.com, if you prefer), we can help you know where to begin.

Level 1 Readiness Assessment
    Level 2 Readiness Assessment
    Level 3 Readiness Assessment

As you can see from the responses, we are pleased that you found us!

Leave a comment:

• Jessica Louise
    replied
    I can't give any advise, but you are in the right place. MP has had what we needed. In the forum and curriculum your are able to find both high standards and tools to work at strengthening your child where they are at. This program has been a turning point for us. Best of luck in your journey!

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied
    ...and Dad comes through for the win! Nicely played Beorn

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    replied
    Though on a phone and neither crafty nor a Mama, here is the link to cherylswope's book:

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...econd-edition/

Welcome, jremelts. Much help awaits you here.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied
    jremelts Welcome new friend! I am so glad you have found our little forum for mamas like you. Here, you will find lots of families walking the same path you are. Adoption. Special needs. Advocating for our kids. It's all here!

Kudos to listening to your instinct and knowing to push pause and reassess. Abeka is definitely a relentless pace. Simply Classical will be a breath of fresh air.

I highly recommend Cheryl Swope's book. It's on the Simply Classical page. Some other crafty mama, not on her cell phone, will bless us all by attaching a link.

Just wanted to quick reach out with a warm welcome.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Hi! Welcome@. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job! I would start here on this page: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...l-needs-about/. It does sound like he is probably at the Simply Classical Level 2, but taking the assessments will give you a better idea. Then, check out this post, that talks about using Simply Classical Level 2 with a slightly older student (aged 9+) https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...ents-new-users. (I did notice in this post that "Moose Moments" are listed and they are no longer available here at MP, so we'll need Cheryl's input to make some modifications to this older post. )
    Last edited by howiecram; 02-04-2021, 07:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 9 Year Old Special Needs - Need Direction and advice on curriculum

Hi there! I am new to Memoria Press. I am a homeschool mom to three beautiful kids. I have one child that I am still trying to figure out the best curriculum is for him. I would like to get some thoughts on which MP curriculum to use. I would also love to hear from anyone who has experience with homeschooling a special needs child. A little background...Pawel was adopted at age 5 from Poland. He was not speaking and only saying things that were basically his own language. He is now reading at a first grade level. He is understanding basic phonics sounds and word blends. He can do simple math. He abosolutely loves history class and science. I have used Abeka up to this point, but now that we are in the second half of the year I feel like we have both hit a brick wall. I feel like pushing him on to things that are just too difficult is not the right thing to do. I know that Abeka is just not the right fit at this point. From what I read about the special needs curriculum it sounds well-rounded and a wonderful fit for kids like my son.

I am not sure what set to use for him. I don't know how hard I should be pushing him daily. Any thoughts or ideas on what others do would be appreciated. Some direction with what curriculum package to use through MP would be great too.

Thank you!
    Jeannie

Working...
X