Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Choosing between MP3 or SC5/6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing between MP3 or SC5/6?

Good afternoon,

In planning for the next academic year, I am trying to determine which curriculum plan will work better for my just-turned-8 twin daughters: MP3 or SC5/6 (One Year).

They are both very bright and have enjoyed the eclectic year I've patched together this year using a variety of reading lists, along with Prima Latina, the Golden Children's Bible, and New America Cursive, but the decision fatigue has hit this Mama hard and I'm ready to embrace Memoria Press' curriculum fully for all my children starting next fall. Both of them have listened to "D'Aulaire's Greek Myths" with their older siblings and love it.

The writing and reading elements are what are keeping me from choosing MP3. Both of the girls love books, but one is definitely a much stronger reader; the other is currently working through First Start Reading book C at a very slow pace. She doesn't show any distinct signs of any learning disabilities, but I know that using "Traditional Spelling" will be a better fit than the spelling curriculum in MP3.

I've printed up the samples and studied both, but can't seem to really determine what might be a better fit. Are there other elements to consider? Thank you!

Laura H.
    Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
    DD: 13 (8M with SFL & NBO Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
    DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
    DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Following up: I beg your pardon; not sure how I missed it before, but did found the "readiness assessment" and printed those out. (That's probably where I should have started with this process.) So I'm going to complete those for my twins and see where we are then.

Thank you!

Laura H.
    Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"

Comment

Look at both kids separately. Don't automatically loop them together in everything. They are two separate students with separate needs. Don't be afraid to sub out something for your slower reader/ speller. If Traditional Spelling would be a better fit, but 3M works for everything else, just sub out that one subject.
      DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
      DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
      DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

MarmeeLaura , if you can score the assessments for each girl separately as Colomama suggested, send to me as screenshots or attachments. We can create a best-of-both-worlds scenario for you: customization without the decision fatigue of planning everything yourself!

Based on your comments, I would score all of these for both girls for optimal placement. You can send photos of results directly to [email protected].

Level 1 Readiness Assessment
        Level 2 Readiness Assessment
        Level 3 Readiness Assessment
        Level 4 Readiness Assessment
        Levels 5-6 Readiness Assessment

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
          Look at both kids separately. Don't automatically loop them together in everything. They are two separate students with separate needs. Don't be afraid to sub out something for your slower reader/ speller. If Traditional Spelling would be a better fit, but 3M works for everything else, just sub out that one subject.
          Thank you for this; they are individuals and the plan should honor that well -- even if I "think" that one curriculum with help Mama's sanity. ?
          Laura H.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
            MarmeeLaura , if you can score the assessments for each girl separately as Colomama suggested, send to me as screenshots or attachments. We can create a best-of-both-worlds scenario for you: customization without the decision fatigue of planning everything yourself!
            Thank you so much, Cheryl! My husband and I will certainly spend time working through all the assessments over the next few months. It dawned on me that we have several months before a new school year and that many things can change in that time, so we're going to give extra attention to my daughter who is still struggling with reading and not make a final decision until closer to the Fall. (What is it about January that makes one itching to plan the next year?)

It means a great deal that you are available for consultation and will not hesitate to contact you if I need help. Thank you again.

Laura
            Laura H.

Comment

Ah, this makes sense. Some families start the new year in January or any time. If you are planning for fall, you can wait until summer to score those assessments.

If you need help in the meantime with your struggling reader/speller, you might consider one of our phonics intensives to accelerate progress before next school year. See the "Best of" collection at the top of the forum for options, or just ask and we will be happy to point you in the right direction!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                If you need help in the meantime with your struggling reader/speller, you might consider one of our phonics intensives to accelerate progress before next school year. See the "Best of" collection at the top of the forum for options, or just ask and we will be happy to point you in the right direction!
                Cheryl,

Thank you so much for this; just had a moment of joy today and I hope you don't mind if I share...

I purchased the Beatrix Potter literature guides for my twins to set aside and work on this summer (we have great memories of that guide with our older children). Well, my twins pleaded to start last week instead.

I'm so glad that the newer second-grade Teacher Guides have the cross-reference with the Phonics cards; this helped my struggling reader immensely. And while she has often dragged in completing lessons of First Start Reading, she was totally focused on working through Peter Rabbit and loved answering the questions. She answered them orally, I printed them, then she copied the into the guide.

We completed the "Language Lesson" portion this morning. At the end, she said, "I love these guides! I want them all! They make me feel like a real student and give me the confidence to do well."
                Well, I felt like I'd won the lottery today!

We are soooo very excited for all our crew to go full-board on Memoria Press next fall.

Thank you again for all you and the MP staff do.
                Laura H.

Comment

MarmeeLaura I love the phonics card part of the guides that they are in, too. I would love it if MP added that to the third grade guides, too.

Congratulations on your girls loving the book and feeling like real students, too. I am praying for that day for us, too!
                  JeJe Greer
                  Mom to:
                  Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
                  Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

MarmeeLaura Stories like that make it ALL worth it, don't they? Congratulations! Great work!

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
                      MarmeeLaura I love the phonics card part of the guides that they are in, too. I would love it if MP added that to the third grade guides, too.

Congratulations on your girls loving the book and feeling like real students, too. I am praying for that day for us, too!
                      Thank you, JeJe. I didn't initially realize the phonics cards were included. (I still had my "Answer Key" from Second Grade literature from many years ago.) Definitely a great resource!

I was completely surprised by my daughter's reaction. My second daughter, who is a voracious reader, has tended to completely shun most printed homeschooling resources, including the guides. When she was seven, she said, "Mom, I love 'The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe' so pleeeeeeese, don't make me do the literature guide!" She plans to become a pediatric nurse and actually met with the Dean of Nursing at the school where my husband teaches. The dean helped map a high school plan -- including Latin and Greek -- and that prompted my daughter to bring the MP catalog to me and say, "Yep. This is exactly what I need to do to become what I want." But that's taken five years.
                      Laura H.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
                        MarmeeLaura Stories like that make it ALL worth it, don't they? Congratulations! Great work!
                        Thank you, Jessica! You said it! It reminded me of a post by Julie Bogart where she describes those moments as "Payday!". It also made me realize that I've underestimated my children's abilities; they are definitely capable and eager to try new things, so it was also a bit humbling...
                        Laura H.

Comment

Originally posted by MarmeeLaura View Post

Cheryl,

Thank you so much for this; just had a moment of joy today and I hope you don't mind if I share...

I purchased the Beatrix Potter literature guides for my twins to set aside and work on this summer (we have great memories of that guide with our older children). Well, my twins pleaded to start last week instead.

I'm so glad that the newer second-grade Teacher Guides have the cross-reference with the Phonics cards; this helped my struggling reader immensely. And while she has often dragged in completing lessons of First Start Reading, she was totally focused on working through Peter Rabbit and loved answering the questions. She answered them orally, I printed them, then she copied the into the guide.

We completed the "Language Lesson" portion this morning. At the end, she said, "I love these guides! I want them all! They make me feel like a real student and give me the confidence to do well."
                          Well, I felt like I'd won the lottery today!

We are soooo very excited for all our crew to go full-board on Memoria Press next fall.

Thank you again for all you and the MP staff do.

We love moments of joy! Thank you, MarmeeLaura.

Comment

Working...
                          X