Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Talk to me about gluten free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about gluten free

I have heard that gluten can have a big impact on attention and behavior. I feel I have tried all my other options before we more seriously consider medication. We do sensory breaks, physical exercise, limited screen time, behavior therapy, magnesium. All sorts of of things. I'm ready to try the big leap of gluten free.

My middle daughter has been dairy and egg free since she started on solid food nine years ago. So, I'm pretty experienced with cooking from scratch and reading product labels.

But gluten free is a different way of thinking. And I have zero experience with specific products (like this is way tastier than that brand kind of thinking). Any tips or tricks? I would implement this on the whole family because I know that's just the easiest way to go. My son is delighted that flaming cheetos are gluten free. Ha! I'm nervous about tortillas because I loathe corn tortillas.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Aldi has a great line of GF products. Their bread has become our hands-down favorite! Their prices are also better than most. We like corn tortillas, but there are rice tortillas, too. They both break easily. You can also make wraps from garbanzo bean flour. We like those, but they do have a bean taste which some may not like.

Pasta - I avoid the corn pastas and prefer rice or quinoa pastas. Favorite brands - Tinkyada and Aldi's

There are so many more options now than when we gave up gluten for my daughter 16 years ago that it seems really easy now by comparison. I say that not to diminish in anyway the challenge you are accepting! When I had to give up both dairy and gluten, dairy was far more challenging for me, so my hat is off to you already. I'm sure you will find things that work for you that will allow you to keep most of your favorite meals.

All the best,
    Kristin
    Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
    DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
    DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Dear Colomama:

I have been GF for years, but my children are not. I would say that sandwich type bread is the hardest thing to replace. Quick breads like pancakes are easier. Rice pasta, Tinkayad brand, is very good, but I mostly skip all pasta and just use rice in it's place. Start at your local grocery store to see what they have. Try different gluten free blends or make your own. My sister likes Cup4Cup and I like Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Mix. Quinoa is GF whole grain I cook like pasta and like. I also purchase many grocery items from AzureStandard.com--they may have a delivery drop near you. You can also have items sent UPS. I like their rice flour. They have a lot of choices for flour and a helpful website. I don't have a particular blog I like, but checking out a few can help or books from the library is also a good way to start. I have The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman, but she uses a lot of dairy that I substitute out. I am dairy/casein free and this is something one really has to watch when going to GF--I have purchased some GF items several time, then felt bad after eating them, only to find dairy in them. Best wishes on the adventure. Kerri

Comment

Hi Colomama, have you considered an elimination diet before you jump in? There is a Centre of Excellence hospital in Sydney, where I live, that has a Food Allergy and Intolerance unit. We have started their elimination diet. There’s a related website https://www.fedup.com.au and a USA Facebook page. I am celiac and I have 2 kids eating gf and one df as well. My husband challenged me when I had begun cutting out dairy for my 4th child who has been showing similar signs to my gf df boy with ASD/ADHD. He wants scientific proof, and did not directly associate the dramatic change in mood/behaviour with diet, I think because it didn’t happen immediately (like if I eat gluten and start vomiting within an hour), also he’s not preparing food for the kids (and a bit of a mad professor type). So I’m excited to see if there is anything else that might show up in my son or the rest of the family. Gf on its own is so much easier than gf df which it sounds like you are looking at, and egg free too...you are going to hone your substitution skills! It sounds like your knowledge with having already had a child with a restricted diet will help you a lot.

I have cooked lots of pancakes using gf flour and rice bran oil as subs, lots of home baked muffins. Lots of rice/potato carbs in our meals, but getting gf pasta sometimes. Barilla gf pasta is my favourite, not sure if you have it over there. I was buying gf bread until I discovered a week ago that propionic acid (282), which has been proven to have adverse effects on attention/behaviour, is in most of our gf breads here under a variety of innocuous sounding pseudonyms (I was checking for 282 not knowing it was there it was with a new name.). I’m back to baking gf bread again. My 11yo really hates it that I don’t allow ‘crumb-y’ gluten foods at home (unless guests bring it), but it is so hard to keep things from being contaminated if you need a strict gf, not just low gf diet. It is a lot of cooking/planning having multiple food issues, but if you can help your kids it is so worth it! I hope you get some big improvements!!
        Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
        Miriam 10yo
        Jonathan 8yo
        Elissa 5yo
        Thomas 2yo
        Caleb 2 months

Comment

We tried eliminating gluten and, unfortunately, it had no effect on my son. He is not unmanageable now, thankfully, so the dire need to try it is gone. Suffice to say: be prepared to be pleasantly surprised — some parents really do see results — but don’t kick yourself if it makes no change. The biggest change I would really, truly suggest is greatly reducing sugar and processed foods. That seems to be more of a behavioral culprit than gluten (but I’m not a doctor). And remember: sometimes medications are truly necessary.

Starch replacers that are palatable and not crazy-expensive:
          Rice (white, jasmine, and brown)
          brown rice pasta (it’s surprisingly good — there’s even a WalMart brand)
          gf oatmeal
          rice noodles (Asian section)
          Udi’s gluten free bread (in the freezer section)
          Grits and hominy
          Bob’s Red Mill (go crazy)
          gluten free breads crumbs (for baking or sauteeeing)
          Whole, unprocessed foods — potatoes potatoes potatoes, all kinds
          Beans, in general

Bread is the biggest one to get right. There are tons of brands around now. Once you find one that works, that settles a lot of your angst.

GOOD LUCK!

Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
          Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
          Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
          The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
          ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Some people say it works. I am completely grain free (with the exception of white rice) but my kids all eat gluten and dairy, organic as much as possible. They've been on and off GF/DF but it didn't seem to matter, unfortunately. For what it's worth, I had a very good naturopath tell me once that sugar should be removed from diet before anything else, as it is the culprit of so many problems.
            Ora et Labora!
            Emily

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2020-2021
            DD (age 9): 4NU
            DD (age 7): MP 1
            DS (age 4): MP Jr. K
            "I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time, I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." Wendell Berry

Comment

Good to know ladies. We're gluten free this week. We'll see if there's anything noticeable. Good to know about the sugar. We already eat pretty whole-foodish because of being dairy free.
              DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.

We've completed:
              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                Good to know ladies. We're gluten free this week. We'll see if there's anything noticeable. Good to know about the sugar. We already eat pretty whole-foodish because of being dairy free.
                Just a heads-up that it can take awhile for offending foods to clear out of your system. Even if it's a significant problem food, you likely won't see a difference in a week (unless it's a really, really big problem for them and then you may see a difference right away).
                Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                DS11: SC 4
                DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Agreed. I just meant to say that we're in an Airbnb this week...so there's no cheat foods available hidden in the cupboards. I've been very selective on the food I bought and brought. But, I was rattling pans in the kitchen in preparation for lunch while typing and I was quickly surrounded by hungry little people. Ha!

Ps. Just had some chicken strips by Caulipower and man those things were good! I would've never bought something from a company named that before. Two thumbs up for that stuff from the whole family. They declared it better than normal chicken strips. Mom for the win!

We've completed:

Comment

I’d highly recommend reading Wheat Belly. It truly does take about six months or more of being strictly gf to notice a difference to exposure. Also, for us, a true sourdough bread is okay. I can eat Izzio sourdough and not respond. As of this year, I have to be, as well as, my 11, 6, and 3. My Enginerd is not, nor is my 9, or the EBF babe.
                    Last edited by CherryBlossomMJ; 01-12-2021, 02:06 AM. Reason: commas
                    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
                    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
                    DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
                    DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
                    DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
                    DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
                    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
                    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
                    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

A book I love is Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone. Her flour mix is the bomb. First time I made the chocolate chip cookies, I cried. King’s Mill gf flour in the blue bag is almost identical.

Sandwich bread is the toughest to find a replacement for. We used to get Sammi’s Bakery Bread, but can’t find it anymore.

As others have said, it takes weeks to really clear it out. Give it time. Echoing the white sugar/processed foods, too. I use Sugar in the Raw now instead. Lots of other choices there.

Good luck!
                      The Homeschool Grads:
                      J- 6/96
                      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                      G- 4/04
                      D- 5/05
                      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                      M- 9/16

Comment

Working...