Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help for an experienced beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for an experienced beginner

Hi. I have just stumbled across Simply Classical and wish I had found it years ago. We have been homeschooling for 11 years and have tried many many things, often needing to stop halfway through a curriculum because it just progresses too fast - find something else to keep us busy or help us practice at the same level, then come back to it a few years later. I am looking for some advice for how to get started with Simply Classical with my youngest three children.

My Son (12) and Daughter (14) have intellectual disabilities, adhd and dyslexia. They have finally mastered the basics of phonics (CVC and most beginning and ending blends). I think they would be ready for Simply Classical Curriculum Level 2. They enjoy listening to books read aloud - favorites being the Little House and Narnia books.
    1. Would the books at Level 2 be too babyish for them? Can I combine with enrichment books at Level 3?
    2. For the writing we need to choose between Read Aloud edition and Bible edition. Any recommendations? We have been using the NLT version of the bible up to now as the simpler language helps them understand the concepts and stories easier.
    3. How much time per day would this package take?

My youngest son (11) has a more severe intellectual disability, anxiety and adhd. He only has a few recognisable words that he can say but he understands at about a 3 or 4 year old level. He has a very short attention span if he feels stressed. He goes through phases where he will listen to picture books for an hour a day - then will refuse to listen to a single one for weeks. He goes through similar phases with coloring in and legos.
    4. Has anyone here had experience with homeschooling someone like him?
    5. How much time per day would this package take?

I am also juggling older children who need a lot of support with learning, living and transitioning to the work force so need to be careful to plan a manageable workload for me.

Thanks for reading :-)

Hester

Good morning!

Your three remind me of a delightful secondary classroom we supported for students with intellectual disabilities. For that classroom we recommended a streamlined SC Level 2 to omit anything that might seem too "young" and to allow everything to be completed successfully. (We are omitting Storytime Treasures and selecting Bible writing.) A tip: Until you establish a good teaching rhythm, plan to spread each lesson over two days.

For your 12- and 14-year-old children, I recommend this from Level 2:

A. Required Supplements (Included in Previous Packages):B. Core Items for SC 2:
    You might also consider Myself & Others. The secondary special-needs classroom mentioned earlier began each academic day with these brief lessons.

For your 11-year-old (God bless you, by the way), if Level A appears too young, look at Level B.

You will notice that the Bible story selection in B is repeated in 2, so these would be the same for all three children. And yes, people have taught successfully from Simply Classical for students like your 11-year-old son! If you like Level B for him, my suggestion is to purchase the entire core curriculum Level B package for your 11-year-old, but plan to teach over two years. I have divided Level B into an easier Year One and more challenging Year Two for other students with ID. I could share this two-year plan with you. We could create a daily plan for as much time as you have available to work with him, so do not worry about that.
     Not sure where to start? Take these Readiness Assessments: Book 1 | Book 2 | Book 3  | Book 4  Book One Sample Book Two Sample Book Three Sample Book Fou

Comment

Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement.

Level B looks too hard for my 11 year old so i will start with Level A. Would be very keen to see how you divided Level B at some stage - he will really need a very slow introduction to letters and numbers.

I really like the look of Myself and Others - this would be a really good start to our morning.

I also found the Supplementary science books for Level 3. We haven't done much science recently so I was thinking of reading these aloud together at the end of each morning - 1 per week. I really want my kids to learn about the world and build their understanding and questioning. Even my youngest would enjoy them on his own level. Would this disrupt how the whole program works together? Do you have a suggestion which order I read them in?

Comment

Working...
      X