Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Books about autism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books about autism

I’m looking for book recommendations to give a parent of an 11 year old just getting diagnosed with ASD. It’s been so many years since my son’s diagnosis, and I’m wondering if there are newer helpful resources than what I’m familiar with.
    Thanks!
    Catherine

2022-23
    7th year with MP

DS19, college freshman
    DS16, 10th
    DS & DD14, 9th
    DS10, 4th
    DD7, 2nd
    DS4, JrK
    DS & DS, 1

Hi, Catherine. This might be a good start:

- Daily life, practicalities
    1001 Great Ideas for Teaching & Raising Children with Autism, Zysk & Notbahm

- Humanity, hope
    Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism, Prizant

- Research, neuroscience
    The Autistic Brain, Grandin

Comment

Thank you, Cheryl!
      Catherine

2022-23
      7th year with MP

DS19, college freshman
      DS16, 10th
      DS & DD14, 9th
      DS10, 4th
      DD7, 2nd
      DS4, JrK
      DS & DS, 1

Comment

This is one of my favorites. It's more about hope than anything else. I don't know if it's appropriate in this case, but it has been a source of motivation for me. I am autistic, and my husband is as well. Most of my closest friends are autistic. We really don't see it as the end of the world...more as a different way of seeing the world. Anyway, here's a link to one of my favorites: https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Mothers.../dp/0812983564

Comment

There are also some extremely helpful books by Temple Grandin. If they want to understand their autistic child's mind or teach their autistic child social skills, I would lean on Temple Grandin. She has been an immense help to us! I really did not understand why my husband and I approached problems so differently, but now I understand and appreciate why we are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
            This is one of my favorites. It's more about hope than anything else. I don't know if it's appropriate in this case, but it has been a source of motivation for me. I am autistic, and my husband is as well. Most of my closest friends are autistic. We really don't see it as the end of the world...more as a different way of seeing the world. Anyway, here's a link to one of my favorites: https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Mothers.../dp/0812983564
            That book looks fascinating! Thank you, Jessica!
            Catherine

2022-23
            7th year with MP

DS19, college freshman
            DS16, 10th
            DS & DD14, 9th
            DS10, 4th
            DD7, 2nd
            DS4, JrK
            DS & DS, 1

Comment

Working...