Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Lift us up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lift us up

We have a re-assessment/ diagnosis update Monday morning. It's always a good idea every 2 to 3 years, so this was always planned. But, a few new concerns have come to light recently and now this appointment carries more weight. It's always possible that some new mental health concerns or learning differences may come to light as your child nears puberty. More accurate diagnoses help to fill in the big picture of understanding, but it's a challenging time.

Please lift us up, that we may have compassionate docs and increased understanding.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

My dad had a stroke last week. He’s still in hospital. Doing okay but symptoms worsening. I’ll keep you in prayer. You keep me in yours? 👊
    Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
    Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
    Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
    The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
    ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Will pray for both of you and your families. God keep you.

Comment

Praying this morning, Colomama and Anita,

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
        Phil. 4:6-7

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
          Praying this morning, Colomama and Anita,

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
          Phil. 4:6-7
          Amen, cherylswope. "May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace." Anita and Colomama.
          2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
          S - 6, 1st Grader @ home and HLN
          D - 4, Junior Kindergartener @ home
          S - 3, Junior Junior Kindergartener @ home

Comment

Praying all is going well with you today. I like to remember that diagnoses aren't so much predictions as they are working in reverse to explain what you already see. The only One who knows the future has it all in His hands, and He is both bigger than it and his grace is sufficient for it.
            Mama to 2

Summer:
            MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
            SY 20/21
            4A

Comment

Colomama Take care of their mama!

Comment

Anita, how is your father?

And Colomama, how did everything go?

Comment

Colomama Just saw this. How did you kid tolerate the assessment? Is this one of those that require you to wait several weeks for the report?

anita, sorry to hear about that.

prayers for peace and love to you both.
                  -Victoria

at home:
                  boy - 3rd grade
                  boy - 2nd grade
                  boy - k/1st
                  girl - toddler

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                    Anita, how is your father?

And Colomama, how did everything go?
                    Dad is home. He has a blind spot in one eye and cannot read (not his vision — his brain cannot make sense of written language). He forgets things after about 20 minutes. He’s having balance issues. He has mild aphasia. He’s tired. But he’s in good spirits and determined to fight. He’s starting rehab for reading and language soon. He will never drive again and is selling off his RV and his boat (a huge step as they love to drive to FL to see my uncle several times a year).

I’m going home tomorrow to meet with his lawyer and discuss long term care and financial/final plans. That sounds morbid, but we’d rather do it while he’s relatively sound than have to figure it all out if, God forbid, he has another stroke. The biggest issue will be my mom (no comment). She requires more care than my dad does. So they are quite the pair. It’s a mess right now, but not an insurmountable one. We will get it all sorted.

(The funniest thing about the preceding paragraph is since I am now teaching the kids EGR, I hear myself saying, “‘Dad’ is not capitalized in, ‘She requires more care than my dad does,’ because it is preceded by a possessive noun.”. 🤪🤪🤪 MP is in my brain all the time!)
                    The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                    ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
                      The funniest thing about the preceding paragraph is since I am now teaching the kids EGR, I hear myself saying, “‘Dad’ is not capitalized in, ‘She requires more care than my dad does,’ because it is preceded by a possessive noun.”. 🤪🤪🤪 MP is in my brain all the time!
                      All.the.time.

I have been blowing through the grammar book recommended by the Hillsdale language professor from Sodalitas, and I'm cringing at all of the careless errors I have made. My newest favorite error is a broad-reference "which," where the writer overextends the "which" to make it refer to the entire clause rather than simply the word before it. So guilty!

That aside, I'm praying you ladies have the clarity of mind to respond to the challenges ahead of you. Parent and medical issues are no fun.

Mama to 2

Summer:
                      SY 20/21
                      4A

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                        That aside, I'm praying you ladies have the clarity of mind to respond to the challenges ahead of you.
                        Yes to this!

Praying you will be a great help to your dad, Anita. Thanks for the update. Safe travels --

Comment

I have been blowing through the grammar book recommended by the Hillsdale language professor from Sodalitas, and I'm cringing at all of the careless errors I have made. My newest favorite error is a broad-reference "which," where the writer overextends the "which" to make it refer to the entire clause rather than simply the word before it. So guilty!
                          My mother taught English for 40 years; I have an honor’s degree in English and I STILL did not realize all the errors I’ve been making. Correct grammar is not taught in school anymore. We are not at fault! 😂 I love learning right alongside my children. I’m sure I’m not alone.

Thanks, everyone, for your prayers and well-wishes. ❤️

~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

I agree. I am appalled by my excellent score on the NCTE, Praxis I and II and how little grammar I had to take to be certified to teach upper school English. I am blessed to have been raised in a household where my grammar was corrected, I was read beautiful literature, and I had incredible high school English teachers. I'm eternally grateful to have found MP, for it set my feet on a path to incredible self-education. I surely make a lot of mistakes when I'm rushing, though.

Again, apologies for the thread hijack.
                            Mama to 2

Summer:
                            SY 20/21
                            4A

Comment

All.the.time.

That aside, I'm praying you ladies have the clarity of mind to respond to the challenges ahead of you. Parent and medical issues are no fun.
                              Could you post the name of the book? I can’t currently find my notes from Sodalitas.
                              Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                              DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
                              DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
                              DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
                              DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Working...
                              X