Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Hey Y’all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Y’all!

Big hugs from the past — LOL! Just popping in after (mumble-mumble) years to say hello and tell everyone they’re awesome.

We were part of one of the first classes of SC, back when my kids were little and my oldest was 5 and functionally non-verbal. We schooled with SC from B through 3. My oldest went from nonverbal to, today — at 12 years of age — reading aloud from “Mary Poppins“ with his siblings during our “summer school” session.

We spent the last two years in a very good classical charter school but, with all the craziness going around lately, have decided to come back home. And even though we are not using very many MP materials this year, I feel a bit justified in saying hello and reconnecting as part of this community (is that hubris? Ha!).

I hope everyone has been well and done amazing things. You’ve never been far from my mind or my gratefulness. Hope to talk again!
    “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Wonder Boy 14 ... MP5 + R&S Math 6
    Joy Bubble 12 ... MP5 full core
    Cowboy 10 ... MP5 + R&S Math 4
    Sassafras 6 ... MP1
    All … SSPX Catechesis

Hey lady! I've been thinking about you lately, wondering how this has impacted you. I'm glad you're in a position that you could welcome your kiddos back home.

Hugs!
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Hi Anita!

Good to see you back here! Seeing your post made me smile .

Sarah xo
      Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
      Miriam 10yo
      Jonathan 8yo
      Elissa 5yo
      Thomas 2yo
      Caleb 2 months

Comment

Welcome! Just flipping through the boards this morning and was so excited when I saw your name. I have been wondering how you and your kids were doing. Glad your son is doing so well. Don’t worry about not using too much MP right now (or ever), you just meet your kids where they are and you are. We love you and I personally am so glad you stopped in to say hello and that I randomly happened to see it. Have a great day!
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Anita! Welcome home! Just yesterday I was thinking of you. We were in our music room where your gift of tiny hand-painted saints Dymphna and Benedict reside.

I'm happy to see MP Electives in your signature. I cannot remember if Myself & Others was available when you were here. You might find it useful for someone in your crew.

What joy to hear of your oldest reading Mary Poppins to his younger siblings. Glory be to God.

For newcomers, Anita wrote a hopeful article, "The Path Less Traveled," about her long journey.
          The Path Less Traveled: We knew we wanted to homeschool. But having children with special needs threw another kink into things... how would we teach them?

Comment

Hello Beautiful! I’m so glad you’re back!!!! Where are the party hat or kazoo emojis?
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
            DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD10: SC3
            DD7: MPK

Comment

(Huge grin) ❤

The kids were put under lockdown on March 13 and moved to “virtual schooling”. I immediately wanted to pull them completely out of the system and start homeschooling again. My husband wanted us to finish the school year with the charter school. It was *WAY* harder than homeschooling; so many video conferences, so much busy work, so many overlapping assignments and chaos. We started every day at 8 AM and typically were not done until 4 or 5 PM. And I had no control over what was being taught or when. We just had to keep up while the teachers were figuring out what they were doing. It was a total curve ball for everyone. Luckily, we really did have extremely dedicated teachers who made the process ... “better” ? But it was hard on everyone. Sports were cancelled; playgrounds were locked down; my kids couldn’t see their friends anymore. But they were also really happy to be home again, even though we were working twice as hard.

The longer the lockdown went on, the more convinced I was that this Fall was not going to be an “in-person experience” for kids in our school district. (I was right.) Add to that the political uncertainty (the Denver school board, for example, voted unanimously to pull all community police officers out of every school by the end of the 2020-21 year) and the already tenuous curriculum (secular Classical is not the same as Classical/Catholic) and the monumental work load what comes with “virtual learning”?
              Home school won!

We love MP and obviously know how to use it, but the main thing on my mind right now is making sure my kids get a throughly Catholic Education. I’ve tried to use MP and squeeze in catechesis in the past, but I never managed. So it was easier just to use a Catholic core (Seton) and supplement with MP. I literally sat in my bed for 6 hours one Sunday and tried to make a Frankenbaby out of Seton and MP so we could get the “best of everything”, but I ended up just driving myself totally crazy. So my husband and I decided to use Seton for our core and MP for electives and supplements. We are going to use EGR, Greek Myths, Prima, the SC 7&8 read aloud schedule, States and Capitals, and possibly Intro To Comp or CC Fable (we’ll see what second semester brings). Most of it will just be oral. I want to keep it light and “fun”. No written tests, just the joy of learning.

My kids are already OBSESSED with Greek Myths. I can’t keep the book on the shelf. Someone is always reading it, just for pleasure. And they fight over the States and Capitals flash cards. The younger children are jut as invested in learning as the older. (I also ordered “Don’t Know Much About the Presidents” to go along with it.) EGR was extremely important to me and should be a breeze — we love memorization (and I have the SC 7&8 schedule for that). Prima will just be frequent flashcard review and watching the videos or listening to the CD. We’ll probably do some white board work on that as well. And the SC 7&8 read aloud schedule will be part of our “down time”, probably on either side of lunch. I also have “Themes To Remember” for music appreciation (another huge hit at my house) and an art/handicrafts course for Art/Art Appreciation. Electives are not meant to be done every day, but once or twice per week, each. The Seton core will obviously be the spine of our day. (Cheryl will love this: because of our excellent formation in MP/SC we have opted to not even do Seton phonics, and the kids’ Spelling courses are a full grade level ahead!) Our parish is also forming a schola cantorum (singing school) and online Latin classes. And we already have biweekly events for the kids to attend and get to know their peers and do handicrafts. So it’s all shaking out!

Personally, I am currently painting my entire kitchen, in the midst of a large order of Saint peg dolls, and — today — completing a 5k. LOL! YAY! Hubby still runs his own business, but we’ve been crunched since April when everyone started to furlough employees and clamp down on spending. Money is T.I.G.H.T.. He’s on the phone constantly, making contacts and drumming up business. HE PUBLISHED HIS FIRST BOOK! (“Culture Is Everything”, available on Amazon — HAHA!) He also has a daily podcast and was recently interviewed on another podcast by a peer in his industry. Kids are great, growing up WAY TOO FAST, and the heat wave finally broke (ColoMama can probably relate). I’m looking forward to Fall (but not the election).

WHEW!

How is everyone else?!
              Babies?
              Developments?
              Milestones?
              Graduations?

How’s it going????
              “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
              Sassafras 6 ... MP1
              All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

I’m so glad you found a solid place to land!

Were doing well but it’s been crazy since last summer. It’s too much to post here, but the blog tells most of it: www.seekingdelectare.com

In other news...business is good but definitely different — lots of clients having to adjust to new normals in their industries. We’re also in the middle of a whole-house repair project complete with plaster and drywall and the like. It’s just Jeremiah and I and the kids doing the work so it’s slow going. But you already knew we were crazy, lol.

Email anytime!

Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
                DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
                DS15: MP, MPOA
                DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                DD10: SC3
                DD7: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
                  (Huge grin) ❤
                  Cheryl will love this: because of our excellent formation in MP/SC we have opted to not even do Seton phonics, and the kids’ Spelling courses are a full grade level ahead!) Our parish is also forming a schola cantorum (singing school) and online Latin classes.
                  I do love this! It is so good to hear from you. I'm so happy to hear about your husband's book and business.

For anyone wondering about Anita's oldest, Anita filmed an 8-min progression "from marked echolalia to reading" characterized by many hours of hard work!

Comment

Big hugs from the past — LOL! Just popping in after (mumble-mumble) years to say hello and tell everyone they’re awesome.

We were part of one of the first classes of SC, back when my kids were little and my oldest was 5 and functionally non-verbal. We schooled with SC from B through 3. My oldest went from nonverbal to, today — at 12 years of age — reading aloud from “Mary Poppins“ with his siblings during our “summer school” session.

We spent the last two years in a very good classical charter school but, with all the craziness going around lately, have decided to come back home. And even though we are not using very many MP materials this year, I feel a bit justified in saying hello and reconnecting as part of this community (is that hubris? Ha!).

I hope everyone has been well and done amazing things. You’ve never been far from my mind or my gratefulness. Hope to talk again!
                    I read this in your voice, and I am sending you enormous hugs. ?

We started back to school this week. ? It's been TIRING. And I have a freshman. #cueallthefeelsyall

WE MISSED YOU.

I am so glad you're back. Can we talk about meal planning, pettipants and lots of other fun stuff??
                    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                    DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

(Huge grin) ❤

My kids are already OBSESSED with Greek Myths. I can’t keep the book on the shelf. Someone is always reading it, just for pleasure. And they fight over the States and Capitals flash cards. The younger children are jut as invested in learning as the older. (I also ordered “Don’t Know Much About the Presidents” to go along with it.) EGR was extremely important to me and should be a breeze — we love memorization (and I have the SC 7&8 schedule for that). Prima will just be frequent flashcard review and watching the videos or listening to the CD. We’ll probably do some white board work on that as well. And the SC 7&8 read aloud schedule will be part of our “down time”, probably on either side of lunch. I also have “Themes To Remember” for music appreciation (another huge hit at my house) and an art/handicrafts course for Art/Art Appreciation. Electives are not meant to be done every day, but once or twice per week, each. The Seton core will obviously be the spine of our day. (Cheryl will love this: because of our excellent formation in MP/SC we have opted to not even do Seton phonics, and the kids’ Spelling courses are a full grade level ahead!) Our parish is also forming a schola cantorum (singing school) and online Latin classes. And we already have biweekly events for the kids to attend and get to know their peers and do handicrafts. So it’s all shaking out!

Personally, I am currently painting my entire kitchen, in the midst of a large order of Saint peg dolls, and — today — completing a 5k. LOL! YAY! Hubby still runs his own business, but we’ve been crunched since April when everyone started to furlough employees and clamp down on spending. Money is T.I.G.H.T.. He’s on the phone constantly, making contacts and drumming up business. HE PUBLISHED HIS FIRST BOOK! (“Culture Is Everything”, available on Amazon — HAHA!) He also has a daily podcast and was recently interviewed on another podcast by a peer in his industry. Kids are great, growing up WAY TOO FAST, and the heat wave finally broke (ColoMama can probably relate). I’m looking forward to Fall (but not the election).

WHEW!

How is everyone else?!
                      Babies?
                      Developments?
                      Milestones?
                      Graduations?

How’s it going????
                      OK --- I just posted a quick post .... but it's obvious that we all need to chat more!!

Current situation:

Began K with my BABY (not so baby) Daniel this year. Last time through MP K. Oh gosh. That makes me sad. We redshirted him last year ..... maturity level, other things going on, etc.

Spent about 6 months or more helping to take care of my husband's mother, including moving her out of her home, into a condo, and then later, into assisted living. For a while, we were packing up ALL 5 children and our crap and spending the nights with her. After a few months, this momma said no mas and waved the white flag.

Got diagnosed with Hashimoto's, various vitamin deficiencies and adrenal fatigue/HPA dysfunction. Gluten free for life now, along with 1 million supplements. Still working every weekend.

Brought Maeve home from full time school last year at HLS to homeschool with her older siblings. (which was one of the reasons we opted to redshirt Daniel) She wasn't thrilled, but has thrived and we love it. She picked up Irish dance last year and loved it, but now she's decided the bloom is off the rose. Which breaks my heart. She's also riding at the barn with Rachel and is begging to show. I told her "absolutely not", because she has to earn her stripes. We're going rogue with science this year, away from MP and using Winter Promise's Equine Studies. Very CM, and I will likely lose my voice from all the readalouds, but she is so thrilled.

My twin boys are rocking cottage school classes and soccer. We are in full MP cores --- well, full for the Kennedys, and they are doing beautifully.

My first homeschooling student is a freshman, and I'm stunned. This is year 10 of the 'experiment.' She's completely outsourced, which is still weird for me, but I am grateful.

I am so jealous of Schola Cantorum --- we have a program here in our area, and I haven't ever gotten my kids interested enough in it/had time to pursue it. Maybe now that Irish Dance fell off the table, I can convince Maeve to pick it up.
                      Are you going to be selling the peg dolls? Do you have an online shop? GOOD FOR YOU for 5k! I want to hear more about your husband's book and podcast, etc.

Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                      DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                      DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                      DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                      DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                      DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I read this in your voice, and I am sending you enormous hugs. ?

We started back to school this week. ? It's been TIRING. And I have a freshman. #cueallthefeelsyall

WE MISSED YOU.

I am so glad you're back. Can we talk about meal planning, pettipants and lots of other fun stuff??
                        We can talk about pettipants all day, every day.

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                        Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                        All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

OK --- I just posted a quick post .... but it's obvious that we all need to chat more!!

Current situation:

Began K with my BABY (not so baby) Daniel this year. Last time through MP K. Oh gosh. That makes me sad. We redshirted him last year ..... maturity level, other things going on, etc.

Spent about 6 months or more helping to take care of my husband's mother, including moving her out of her home, into a condo, and then later, into assisted living. For a while, we were packing up ALL 5 children and our crap and spending the nights with her. After a few months, this momma said no mas and waved the white flag.

Got diagnosed with Hashimoto's, various vitamin deficiencies and adrenal fatigue/HPA dysfunction. Gluten free for life now, along with 1 million supplements. Still working every weekend.

Brought Maeve home from full time school last year at HLS to homeschool with her older siblings. (which was one of the reasons we opted to redshirt Daniel) She wasn't thrilled, but has thrived and we love it. She picked up Irish dance last year and loved it, but now she's decided the bloom is off the rose. Which breaks my heart. She's also riding at the barn with Rachel and is begging to show. I told her "absolutely not", because she has to earn her stripes. We're going rogue with science this year, away from MP and using Winter Promise's Equine Studies. Very CM, and I will likely lose my voice from all the readalouds, but she is so thrilled.

My twin boys are rocking cottage school classes and soccer. We are in full MP cores --- well, full for the Kennedys, and they are doing beautifully.

My first homeschooling student is a freshman, and I'm stunned. This is year 10 of the 'experiment.' She's completely outsourced, which is still weird for me, but I am grateful.

I am so jealous of Schola Cantorum --- we have a program here in our area, and I haven't ever gotten my kids interested enough in it/had time to pursue it. Maybe now that Irish Dance fell off the table, I can convince Maeve to pick it up.
                          Are you going to be selling the peg dolls? Do you have an online shop? GOOD FOR YOU for 5k! I want to hear more about your husband's book and podcast, etc.

I know — that last baby going though K is bittersweet. Our baby is 4 and — I’m not kidding — a genius. Contrasted with my first experiences of homeschooling? She’s going to be a breeze (or she’s totally going to take me down — stay tuned). We are in Pre-K, but I don’t expect that to last long.

We are in a similar situation with my parents, minus the moving. They refuse help. But they desperately need it. Aging parents are frustrating, because we love them so much and we sense the days are long and the years, short. I hope your MIL is in good hands.

I wonder why it took so long for to get a dx of Hashimoto’s? Of course, I had a friend who was not dx’d until her 7th baby so maybe it’s hormonal? I’ve got some weird age/weight related issues right now so I feel this on a personal level. I’ve also cut out gluten (for the most part), fatty meats, sugars, dairy, alcohol and anything else that tastes good ;P It’s fine. It’s probably just penance for my sins. (LOL!)

Irish Step is lovely. I wish she’d stuck with it. And you’re right, showing involves much more than, “But MOMMMMMM!” Make her werk, Mama! Horses *are* medicine, though. And I dare anyone to challenge me on that.

Last I knew the twins were in the midst of SC and loads of testing! This is great news. Congratulations! <3

And congratulations on your outsourced freshman! So weird, so cool.

I don’t have a web site for peg dolls yet. It’s all by word of mouth. Taxes, shipping, storefronts and all that are just — UGH. So (whispering) I’m sort of going around the law. But (SHOUTING) its all perfectly legal, taxable, and above-board! (Brandishes 1099)

Hubs had a proposal for a book on company culture — gosh, about two years ago? — when we were unemployed. He was trying to use the book possibility as a money-maker during our famine. He got hired by a consulting client and so the book fell to the back burner. But about 6 months later, the publisher came back and expressed interest. So he worked full time and wrote the book on weekends and during football practice for my boys. He cranked it out in record time and the small publishing house went to print with it. It’s called “Culture is Everything” and is a tool on how to diagnose, sort and transform company culture — something very en vogue right now, and tools desperately needed. The podcast branched off of that (its available on iTunes and wherever else you get your podcasts). It’s fun hearing his voice every day and seeing the dedication to me (blush). We haven’t sold as many copies as we’d like. And — let me tell you — even if he had, one does not go in to book writing to make money. Royalties are abysmal and book sales are a slog up a 25-foot sheer cliff. In the snow. But we are building a brand, little by little, and strategizing as we go. The market is just so weird right now.

The 5K was a support raiser for the military. And honestly, just an excuse to go walk/run. I hit a personal best (score!) while I was out and the weather cooperated. I have definitely found that daily exercise is the difference between a sane and relaxed Mama and a crazy, cranky one! So I’ll currently take any reason to sweat for an hour a day I can.

I think that’s it.

Here’s your hug (SQUEEEEEESE)

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                          Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                          All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Working...
                          X