Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Grading/Editing Writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grading/Editing Writing

Hello!

We are working through R&S 4 grammar and I have a question regarding grading/editing writing. In particular, in lesson 30, the child is to write a poem. My daughter wrote her poem, but used the phrase "is a season where" in every single line. I was trying to get her to change at least two to something different to make the poem stronger. Her reply "it's MY poem, I like how that sounds, you don't get to tell me what to fix because it's my poem." Hmmmmmm...

Please help me with somewhat subjective criticism and how to approach this to avoid this behavior. (I see this coming in all writing assignments) Clearly, she does not get to speak to me this way, but this does happen. I know it has to do with her black and white thinking...but I need to know how to better approach this.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

"Yes, it's your writing. But there is a difference between what we write in school and what we write in our free time. The things we write in school are part of learning how to write well. My job as your teacher is to show you how to make your writing strong and effective. So, in school, if I say that a change needs to be made, it's your job as a student to make that change. When you are writing in your free time, I will only make suggestions in two cases: one, if something is inappropriate or two, if you ask for my advice."
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
      "Yes, it's your writing. But there is a difference between what we write in school and what we write in our free time. The things we write in school are part of learning how to write well. My job as your teacher is to show you how to make your writing strong and effective. So, in school, if I say that a change needs to be made, it's your job as a student to make that change. When you are writing in your free time, I will only make suggestions in two cases: one, if something is inappropriate or two, if you ask for my advice."
      Ironically, my mom (former grammar teacher) called to just chat and I asked for advice on this particular poem and she said the poem was perfect.....?. ?
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1

Comment

LOL! From experience with my own black-and-white, tact-not-their-gift child, though, you still might want to give some version of the boundaries chat. It’s more important for her to learn to respect the teacher than for her poem to be perfect — and different teachers will have different takes on the exact same piece of writing. I think you mentioned that MPOA is in her future? This would be good preparation for her to understand that no two teachers are the same, and that she has to follow the one teaching the class, not the one she wishes was teaching it
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

I wouldn't touch the poem either - repetition is definitely a tool in poetry, or even rhetoric in general. Writing a poem is in itself a very challenging thing to do on command, and a lot more so for a child, special needs or not: make sure she understood the elements that were taught in the lesson (for instance, if rhyming was expected but she didn't put in any), make sure the grammar is correct, and that's it. Her poems, if she chooses to keep writing them, will get more refined as she reads more great stories and more poetry, as she gains more life experience and the ability to reflect on it. Notice how we don't have children who are poetic geniuses, like Mozart could be with music: that's because an intrinsic part of poetry is an ability to reflect and ponder that are not innate, but are developed as we mature.
          DS (16)
          DD (15)
          DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
            LOL! From experience with my own black-and-white, tact-not-their-gift child, though, you still might want to give some version of the boundaries chat. It’s more important for her to learn to respect the teacher than for her poem to be perfect — and different teachers will have different takes on the exact same piece of writing. I think you mentioned that MPOA is in her future? This would be good preparation for her to understand that no two teachers are the same, and that she has to follow the one teaching the class, not the one she wishes was teaching it
            Yes! She's taking Classical Comp 1!
            Christine

(2021/2022)
            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

Ironically, my mom (former grammar teacher) called to just chat and I asked for advice on this particular poem and she said the poem was perfect.....?. ?
              That could be because she's Grandma.

At a similar point in my daughter's writing, I had to institute a new subject when teaching writing: Editing. Like your daughter, mine wanted no changes to any of her writing, ever. I informed her that editing is part of writing, even for professional writers. She did not know this.

If it helps your daughter's concrete thinking, you could tell her that you will make a given number of edits per writing assignment (e.g., 3 for small pieces, 5-7 for larger assignments). Rather than mark on her original, as this seems very personal to her, you might create a side-by-side edit with your suggestions. This will stretch you own writing! She may still prefer her own, but if you have good reasons for your edits, as a responsible writer she will do well to accept them.

You can tell her that "Miss Cheryl" relies heavily on Dayna, JessicaO, and Ellen for editing. Rarely is a work published without a single edit. You might show your daughter these talented young women's pictures on the MP Staff page. Editing is an entire profession for good reason! With your daughter's careful eye, I still think this might be something she gravitates toward herself in the future. For now, she needs to humbly accept editing where needed. I think CC will help with this.

Just be sure you're not editing for overly subjective reasons. Sometimes editors will say, "This needs to be changed," because it does. Other times an editor will say, "This seems to me to need something here.... Would you like to change, perhaps to this ....?" In such instances, your daughter retains the option to say, "No, thank you. I like this part just as it is." The most important elements to address in your question seem to be engendering respect, humility, and an openness to hear the teacher/editor's concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

That could be because she's Grandma.

At a similar point in my daughter's writing, I had to institute a new subject when teaching writing: Editing. Like your daughter, mine wanted no changes to any of her writing, ever. I informed her that editing is part of writing, even for professional writers. She did not know this.

I just talked to my daughter about this. "WOW, really, that is so weird that professionals need to have their work edited".

Thank you! ?
                Christine

(2021/2022)
                DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
                DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years

Comment

Working...
                X