Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Placement Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherylswope
    replied
    Hi, Erika.

To increase the challenge from the previous suggestions, you might consider MPOA for MIddle School Science I and MPOA for Fable/Narrative. I just checked. MPOA Fable. There is a waiting list, but the combo Fable/Narrative has openings. For history you can look at the many options through MP American & Modern Studies as well as MP Classical Studies. Add Geography, and he will have a well-rounded program!

Leave a comment:

• empokorski
    replied
    All:

I wanted to go a little deeper into my 12-yr old son’s abilities.

Phonics/Spelling - we have been doing the Susan Barton program for the past 4 years. He is almost done with book 6 and he needs to finish book 8 to get the complete phonics teaching. However, he can read fairly well. He doesn’t like reading out loud so much and he still stumbles on words at times. However, when he reads to himself he can read harder books and still be able to tell me what is going on. He read the entire Harry Potter series in just over a month. That blew my mind. The hard part is now finding books that will capture him like those did. He still struggles with spelling and he still puts capitols in the middle of his words at times.

Penmanship/Writing - he has beautiful handwriting (when he wants to) and his cursive is also very nice. He shies away from any of the open-ended NAC tasks such as “Write a short story using some grin letters...” Anytime he is faced with a task like that, he wants to give short one sentence answers. He doesn’t like to write anything longer. I am going to have to really push him this year for more.

Math - he is using MathUSee. He is in the middle of Delta which covers division. He finished the multiplication book well and seems to be doing fine with the division so far. However, I noticed some struggles when they threw in some geometry items such as area of a parallelogram versus trapezoid vs triangle and rectangle. Those concepts we had to go back and review. He also does not like timed tests. He gets very agitated and tends to do worse because he is so focused on the timer. I was trying to use Xtramath since it was a part of his math games class. He quit on subtraction. His way of handling his frustration was to bang on the keyboard of the laptop. The problem is, I am trying to use these things as Independent work and if he is losing it, then I have to stop what I am doing and step in.

Writing/Grammar - last year he took a class called Linking Blocks. It uses blocks with colors to teach all the different parts of speech. I am attaching his final exam so you can see what types of things he learned. However, my concern is that TJ Rae things will be forgotten. He is already tripping up on them when I randomly asked him today. Another part of this class was writing. Most weeks he was responsible for a paragraph planning sheet and a full paragraph. There were three or four times he had to do a five paragraph composition. I am attaching two of his paragraphs. Both of these were written without my assistance and you will see in one of them where we discussed what he had read and came up with a new version. This was how we did this each week. I either sat with him and we worked through it together or if I could get him to write his own, then we would revise it together and he would recopy it again for class.

Science - no formal science last year other than LEGO Machines

History - we covered some of the American History read alouds.

So, going back to my original plan for this coming year, do you think I am stretching for too much or do you think I should give it a shot? I could either stick with the Co-op class and he will do three classic novels plus some short stories or maybe he is ready for Fable/Narrative? I am unsure. Also, wondering where to place him in grammar. He is my biggest challenge because I believe he is more capable than he is letting on. I struggle with how far to push and when to back off for him. I’m also wondering how to help ensure math fact mastery for a child who shuts down for a timer?

Science could either be done together as a group or could be done MP online for Middle School? I’m just unsure how to determine his readiness?

Thank you for your time. I am forever worrying about how to give my kiddos the best chance forward and it usually feels like I am not hitting the mark. I’m trying not to view it that way!

Thanks again.

Erika

DS (14)
    DS (12)
    DD (9)
    DS (7)
    DS (10 mo.)

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    That sounds fine, Erika. Answering a few questions ...

DS(14) - For math, given his age you could review, introduce, teach, give him practice, and then omit the rest or allow him to use the calculator independently if he achieves 2-3 correct before using it, as independent work is part of your goal. For writing, yes, you could switch back to SC Writing Book Two, Bible. The selections are shorter and the content is edifying! This could be good for him. He might finish AmHist version another year when his reading is stronger. You do want to achieve mastery in the three components covered in Book One: capital letter to start every sentence, end mark to end every sentence, capitalization of any special (proper) noun. Beyond this, introduction & practice is fine. He will review these in SC 4 through Core Skills: Language Arts 1 and 2 (and beyond). As for a DVD, you could try this. Just a caution from here: My son cannot make his body match the movements of a workout DVD; similarly, my daughter follows exercise DVDs only with instruction and guidance while doing them. We have had success with FitDeck Jr cards for independent cardio, strength, and stretching. Both of your older boys will need daily vigorous exercise as part of their routine all the way through high school.

DS(12) and DD(10) - Yes! Introduce Prima with them. With your oldest busy with math, writing, and any other independent work you can find, you might have time to do this. Prima would reward these two children for working hard and would give them a nice intro to Latin. You may teach EGR I with Prima. Just revisit it with the flashcards during Latina Christiana the following year. For your daughter, you will want to teach the guides as MP does, by working together on a good single-sentence response orally, writing it on the board for her to copy correctly into her guide, and then moving to the next one. Do 2 sentences per lesson this way and teach the rest orally. This will transition her to writing in her own guide independently more quickly than if you taught orally-only the entire year.

DS(7) - This is lovely: I thanked him for his good attitude today and this little "tough guy" kissed me on the cheek! He will respond well to noticing his hard work, good attitude, respect, politeness, and more. This is a good reminder for all of us to notice and thank our children! "Thank you for..." is so much more appreciated and helpful than "No, no, no." Nice work, Erika.

Leave a comment:

• empokorski
    replied
    Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Thanks for the update, Erika! You might consider this:

DS(14) - SC4 after finishing his current spelling, writing, reading, cursive, and math. Be careful being distracted by the "good" or "fun" and avoiding the "necessary."
    SC Spelling 2 and SC Writing 2 will give him structure, writing, and grammar while giving him American history. and lessons in character and models of courage. He cannot build his reading without the hard work of learning to read well. Other thoughts:
    - Could you schedule the reading time for a period when he is calm or less restless, possibly after exercising? If he is not exercising daily, you might use his experience in co-op basketball as a motivator to do so. Regular exercise on a stationary bike or treadmill can become an independent, needed activity for him to lessen anxiety, build coordination, and improve attention.
    - Would it work to have Dad read the AmHist selections in the evenings with him? Just a thought, as he is at the age where Dad's model and involvement might also resolve some behavioral issues.
    - If none of the above seems workable for finishing SC Writing 2, then you can rest assured we cover the basics in writing again in SC 4.
    - You might revisit meeting with his pediatrician or a physician specializing in adolescence to discuss possible medical treatments or supplements to help him with self-control and attention, if you think this might be helpful for him. It sounds as if he would like to be making greater gains in many areas, so if something external can help him, this would be very good to determine as he approaches adulthood.
    Yes, for this son, we have eliminated gluten for the most part and are working hard to be diligent with that. We also have received a script for Guanfacine, which is a non-stimulant generic for Intuniv, I believe. We have tried this one in the past and one benefit I recall was weight gain which is so important for us right now. I agree with finishing up the elements of MSTT and then Wagon Wheels and Prairie School.

Question: Do you think it makes more sense to keep going with the Am History version of writing or go back and do the Bible Stories one since we were further along? When topics are introduced, am I aiming for mastery or is this just a basic introduction as he will get into further Grammar and such as we move into SC4, 5 & 6?

Question: I am using MathUSee for this son. It seems to be working well. However, a lesson like subtraction with regrouping can take us a month for him to truly master the concept. I have been thinking a lot about my goals for him. If he cannot write out a multiple-digit subtraction problem with multiple regroupings, does it really matter? I am beginning to feel like these battles are not necessarily worth it. For example, maybe we practice one together, work through two and then teach him to use a calculator for the remainder of the page? I guess I'm figuring that the most important part is to understand real life situations and "when to add, subtract..." Does that make sense? Just curious on your opinion. I am trying to do some homeschooling during the summer, but also heavily limiting it because I really need time to plan and get all my materials ready. I have not started a school year fully prepared and I think it will make a HUGE difference.

I wish we had an exercise bike or a treadmill. I will have to look into that. Maybe an online kids workout video?

DS(12) - What if you finish the remaining components of SC 4, such as Core Skills: LA 1 and 2? You mentioned not covering science & history. You might consider the SC 4 Intro to Myths and possibly SC 4 science, or consider the full SC 3 Enrichment. With SC 3 Enrichment, you would be reading the same AmHist readers as you would read for your oldest's writing program, but these would also be paired with Science read-alouds, brief art and music studies, and US Geography. All of this is age-appropriate for both of your older boys. While you might not want to combine them due to behavioral issues, you would be covering the same material which might shrink your teaching prep time. If your SC(12) never completed SC Writing 2 AmHist, he might do so independently after just a few weeks of instruction. SC 3 Enrichment consolidates history, science, art, music, and geography, so this might be an option for your daughter to join in!
    For this son, I was considering a combination of accommodations/remediation.

Barton Reading/Spelling: We are debating continuing as it is very expensive to do so. Unsure yet. His reading has improved greatly, but his spelling is still a struggle. He seems to do well with it when he is in a tutoring session and he can explain why a certain word is spelled a certain way, but when it is time to write a sentence (or paragraph, for that matter), he loses the spelling a bit. If we continue with this, I will have to possibly add in some spelling practice to his day in addition to the Barton. I was considering Sequential spelling online as it is not rule-based but rather teaches word progression so it would likely serve as a "review" of things he already learned and it would be hands off for me.
    Literature/Writing - Co-Op Class which is using "Teaching the Classics". The kids will be learning about the 5 key elements of literature (characters, setting, plot, theme...). They will also be reading junior novels and additional short stories and writing papers on them. The novels are: Johnny Tremain, The Bronze Bow, and The Lion/ Witch and the Wardrobe. I was going to have him listen to the audiobooks summer for the first 2. I have already read aloud the entire Narnia series to my children. Then, when school starts, he will read the assigned chapters and I will be there to help him with the writing portion. I was thinking we would utilize speech to text, spelling aid apps, and any accommodations necessary while moving him a little more towards independence using these tools. He really did well for this teacher last year so that was why I was considering sticking with him for this coming year. However, I will have to add in opportunities for him to be "writing" either through this course or through something else. My thought was, there are Lit Guides for two of the books. If he is reading them, I can also have him fill in some answers for the guides in the book?
    Grammar - I will have to add in some appropriate grammar selections for this year. He learned about all the parts of speech last year and how they work within a sentence. So, I need to figure out what is a logical next step.
    Science - The Co-Op has a teacher doing the Apologia "Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics". I am trying to see if he can do this orally? Or at least have some help with additional time for taking the test?
    Math-we will stick with MathUSee. He is making good progress with this.
    History - possibly an online class with Queen of Heaven Academy? This is an online school we are considering transitioning him to for High School. Unsure yet. Either that or we will continue the American History Read Alouds with him.
    Latin - was thinking of doing Prima Latina with at least my 12 & 10-yr olds..unsure if my 14-yr old is quite ready.

It is quite a hodgepodge, I know. I don't know if it is a good idea or a bad idea, but I like having outside teachers for this child. He does better for others. For me, I get the raw frustrations and meltdowns and that can really rob me of a lot of time in my day.

DD(10) - MP 2 would be next after MP 1, especially because it seems she has not had much writing instruction. She might enjoy Prima Latina, which comes with MP 2! As mentioned above, she could join in the SC 3 Enrichment for American history and the other areas to keep things age-appropriate for her. Even though she can read the MP 2 selections, she may need the vocabulary, comprehension, and writing practice with those LitGuides. Just a thought. If you think she's ready for MP 3, just be ready for much more teacher-time, especially with Latina Christiana.
    For this daughter, she wrote out a comprehension sheet each week. This was a paper that required some short answer as well as some full sentence answers. Sometimes, when I had the time, we would come up with answers together and I would write out her sentences and she would copy them to her page (similar to STT). She also filled in all the answers to the STT that we did go through. In her writing class, she did 2 paragraphs, one short story, a poem, ad some grammar practice sheets. I did the paragraphs with her, but I would prefer her to do a more formal writing program and I am particularly interested in the Progymnasmata approach. So, I was considering MP3 with the following modifications:
    - Math (TEACHING TEXTBOOKS)
    - Spelling (AAS3)
    - States&Capitols (CO-OP class is also teaching the states and capitols this year. I was going to utilize our books, but also combine with the class)
    - Writing (INTRO TO COMP)

Question on Grammar: Does the grammar program require her to be using Latina Christiana? Can she do it alongside Prima Latina? Grammar will be new for her except for things like Capitalization and some other simple topics.
    Note: She is already in Love with Greek Myths and she requested to learn about Animals this year so I thought this would be a fun, good choice for her.
    She also wants to take the American Girl History class again this year. It is four new characters covering portions of American History up to the Depression, so that would be in addition. She seems to really love history.

So, it is a bit of a leap, but I'm thinking she might be able to handle it as long as I use the lit guides as mostly oral, at first and work her up to filling in the guides. Does that seem reasonable? I have never taught this level before so this is new for me. I'm a little worried about taking on too much, but maybe if I can find ways to combine a couple of kids on things or loop subjects so we just keep making progress all around?

DS(7) - MP 1 after completing FSR D with plenty of help on blending. Use clay or playdough, letter cards or tiles, nonsense words, Classical Phonics, and other tools to teach blending.
    For my next child, I completely agree. He is the only child who was started in MP for Phonics and such. He and I are trying to continue working on through the summer. He isn't super happy about it, but I was going to make him a little sheet and he can earn "stars" for coming to work with me and keeping a good attitude. Our issue was that he could not complete a whole lesson at the beginning of the school year. Many days I had to break it up to make sure I could hold his attention as well as not drag it on for an hour (just in FSR). It was frustrating, but we have been working at it daily so we have made good progress. I thanked him for his good attitude today and this little "tough guy" kissed me on the cheek! Haha...there is a softer side under there. So, I guess I was planning to move forward with MP1 once we have finished up MPK Phonics.

Thanks for all the tips. I have more to say, but will hold off on the other recommendations for now...

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    Thanks for the update, Erika! You might consider this:

DS(14) - SC4 after finishing his current spelling, writing, reading, cursive, and math. Be careful being distracted by the "good" or "fun" and avoiding the "necessary."
    SC Spelling 2 and SC Writing 2 will give him structure, writing, and grammar while giving him American history. and lessons in character and models of courage. He cannot build his reading without the hard work of learning to read well. Other thoughts:
    - Could you schedule the reading time for a period when he is calm or less restless, possibly after exercising? If he is not exercising daily, you might use his experience in co-op basketball as a motivator to do so. Regular exercise on a stationary bike or treadmill can become an independent, needed activity for him to lessen anxiety, build coordination, and improve attention.
    - Would it work to have Dad read the AmHist selections in the evenings with him? Just a thought, as he is at the age where Dad's model and involvement might also resolve some behavioral issues.
    - If none of the above seems workable for finishing SC Writing 2, then you can rest assured we cover the basics in writing again in SC 4.
    - You might revisit meeting with his pediatrician or a physician specializing in adolescence to discuss possible medical treatments or supplements to help him with self-control and attention, if you think this might be helpful for him. It sounds as if he would like to be making greater gains in many areas, so if something external can help him, this would be very good to determine as he approaches adulthood.

DS(12) - What if you finish the remaining components of SC 4, such as Core Skills: LA 1 and 2? You mentioned not covering science & history. You might consider the SC 4 Intro to Myths and possibly SC 4 science, or consider the full SC 3 Enrichment. With SC 3 Enrichment, you would be reading the same AmHist readers as you would read for your oldest's writing program, but these would also be paired with Science read-alouds, brief art and music studies, and US Geography. All of this is age-appropriate for both of your older boys. While you might not want to combine them due to behavioral issues, you would be covering the same material which might shrink your teaching prep time. If your SC(12) never completed SC Writing 2 AmHist, he might do so independently after just a few weeks of instruction. SC 3 Enrichment consolidates history, science, art, music, and geography, so this might be an option for your daughter to join in!

DD(10) - MP 2 would be next after MP 1, especially because it seems she has not had much writing instruction. She might enjoy Prima Latina, which comes with MP 2! As mentioned above, she could join in the SC 3 Enrichment for American history and the other areas to keep things age-appropriate for her. Even though she can read the MP 2 selections, she may need the vocabulary, comprehension, and writing practice with those LitGuides. Just a thought. If you think she's ready for MP 3, just be ready for much more teacher-time, especially with Latina Christiana.

DS(7) - MP 1 after completing FSR D with plenty of help on blending. Use clay or playdough, letter cards or tiles, nonsense words, Classical Phonics, and other tools to teach blending.

I do not remember if you've been teaching from Myself & Others, but consider this for your opening each day. The older three could learn from M&O Book Three; the younger from M&O Book One which is brief but will be important. M&O gives you something to reference as you teach and parent. The hand signals, visual cues, or lessons can be handy reminders to help you get everyone back on track throughout the day.

It also sounds as if read-alouds fail to hold attention, so explore the reasons for this. Read-alouds, ideally, will be your time to relax and enthrall everyone.
    - Be sure you are limiting video games and other distractions until after everyone's work is finished. No tv, screens, internet, devices until everyone finishes for the day.
    - Create quiet, constructive independent work corners for those who finish early or who are waiting for you to teach. This may include extra copybooks, art supplies, library books, non-fiction (science, geography) sticker books, previously covered phonics readers, or other independent resources.
    - If one of your children is especially good with the baby, assign playtime with the baby. Give instruction to assure safety, keep them nearby, and allow safe toys during this playtime. If you have a friend or a homeschooling family with a Mother's Helper, consider a half day or two when someone can play with and tend the baby while you teach. At other times, you might set up a safe play space for the baby with rotating, soft toys.
    - Use timers as checkpoints.
    - Plan extra time to come back later to work with only one errant person, or limit privileges for the one, if someone seems to be hijacking the day. If everyone finishes by an early time (3pm?), consider a family reward: outdoor play, a trip to the park, extra time with friends at co-op, ice cream sundaes, etc. The key is to have everyone work together to feel and appreciate how harmonious that can be.

It is good to hear from you. Others may have suggestions, but the above gives you a few things to consider.

You're making progress, Erika! My son asked me to watch Finding Nemo with him over the weekend. We had seen it years ago in the theater together and he was feeling nostalgic. As I watched, I was reminded again of Dory, "Just keep swimming, keep swimming, keep swimming."

Leave a comment:

• empokorski
    started a topic Placement Help

Placement Help

Some of you have seen me on the Forum before and have heard of my family. We have five children (14, 12, 9, 7 and 9mo.). We have been using MP materials in addition to Co-Ops for the past few years. I will say this past year really challenged me as we added another child and I struggled to get everyone into a good groove. It took a lot out of me as I ended up working with one or more kiddos until 4pm regularly during my week and I wasn't even able to sit with each child every day. I have more than one struggling learning and those are my oldest two so we don't have a ton of Independent learning going on. I love the MP curriculum, but I am definitely trying to figure out how to build towards independence. Here is where we have left off:

DS(14) - SC3
    CSP3 Finished
    SC Spelling2 (Week 22) Did fairly well with this. He has more than half of the sight words down. Every once in awhile he will "lose one he had memorized". Overall, not too bad.
    MSTT (Stone Soup) We haven't fully completed Stone Soup yet. He can read the books fine. In fact, he can read simple chapter books, but the comprehension still isn't quite there so I kept him in MSTT.
    SC Writing 2 - Wk.11 (Hindsight-I should have just continued on in the Bible Stories one from the prior year as we were already halfway through it, but I wanted to really use this as some fun History reading too. The issue we have is getting through all of the reading necessary each day. Some days, I can keep a bit more attention than others, but this particular child as well as my 7-yr old have a very hard time sitting for long. That was a huge challenge. We are still on Paul Revere.)
    NAC2 pg. 68 (He can write nicely...when he wants to)
    MathUSee - We are still working through Beta. He is almost done, but we had major slow downs at adding multiple numbers with regrouping and now subtracting large numbers with regrouping. He seems to finally be able to recognize that he needs to borrow when we start at the "ones place", but when we move on to the "tens place" he forgets. For example, if the problem was 53-27 he would say 7-3 instead of 3-7 and the notice to borrow. His brain grabs both numbers and just defaults to bigger number on top)
    Co-Op He took Art, Lego Machines and Basketball Skills which were good classes for him. He also met some really nice boys his age. I think it has made him a little more aware of his challenges and he is noticing the things they are doing that he is not.

Biggest Challenges: On an "OFF DAY" he can derail our entire day and kill the whole morning with me dealing with him. He struggles with attention. Sometimes in my own stubbornness and wanting to make progress, I would continue to work past our "time" because if I didn't I would have to call it a totally wasted half hour due to him staring off or getting upset. He also is a "provoker" when it comes to siblings. Sometimes intentional, and sometimes not. He has done it enough that now we get big reactions from all kids whenever he is annoying them. This is a big challenge for me too.

DS(12) - Co-Op/SC4
    Literature: Courage of Sarah Noble
    finished. He ended up falling in love with the Harry Potter book series. I know there are those on this blog that would think that is a really bad choice. I am now aware of why there are reasons to think that. My husband and I are trying to downplay the series, but he ended up reading all seven books in less than month and could tell us what they were about. I could not pull him away from reading. Now, he is working on more appropriate literature and we are trying to find another series that he enjoys. I am just so glad he is starting to really enjoy reading.
    Phoncs/Spelling - Barton Tutoring (almost done with book 6)
    NAC2 - His cursive is good.
    Typing with Typesy (This program is not as good as Touch Type Read and Spell. In this program he gets to spots where they want him to type words and he will get frustrated and shut down or put the review game back to an easier setting. The program is much cheaper though than the other one.
    MathUSee Gamma/Delta (we are part-way through Delta trying to finish it this summer so we can hopefully do 2 levels next year and be ready for Pre-Algebra for 8th Grade. We shall see. He seems to understand the concepts, but gets tripped up on some of the Geometry aspects they introduce like area of a parallelogram versus a rectangle or triangle and such. So, we had to slow down there.
    Co-Op: Basketball Skills, Art, Lego Machines, Math Games, Chess and Linking Grammar/Writing (The last one was a grammar and writing class which took him through identifying and understanding all the different parts of speech within a sentence and how to identify them and understand their purpose. He also wrote a paragraph every week and over the course of the second semester write at least three 5-paragraph compositions. It was a good beginning for him. I did have to sit with him as he was not able to do this independently. If I had allowed him to do speech to text, maybe he could have done more independently, but I usually sat with him. For some of the single paragraph papers, I had him try to write it out and then we discussed and edited the paragraph and he would have to rewrite it.

Challenges: I was not able to do any formal science or history. This is also a child who shuts down whenever anything gets hard. Sometimes it is a quiet shut down and other times it is loud and angry. He is a sweet kid, but struggles with self control.

DD(10) - MP1/Co-Op
    STT/MSTT (finished most of it) - I struggled with this one. My daughter can read all the books. In fact, we were able to do a weeks lesson in one or two days. She can also answer all the questions. I felt like I was holding her back slightly having her do that. She and I have been reading Little House in the Big Woods, but I think even that is doable for her. She is reading it fluently with almost zero mistakes on the page. I was going to ask her some of the questions from the discussion manual and then see if she can answer them. It will be a bit skewed due to the fact that she had already listened to the audiobook as well.
    Spelling TS1 (Started off with this, but fell behind due to me not being able to keep up with it all). I switched her back over to All About Spelling which is more open and go versus weekly lists and that was easier to manage. She finished AAS2.
    Typesy Typing
    Teaching Textbooks (online math) She seems to be doing ok with this. There have been a few lessons where I have had to go back and review with her because she would dip down, but most of her scores are in the 90s with a couple on the 80s. If she dips into the 70s I stop her and make sure we address whatever is confusing her. So far this seems to be working for us.
    NAC2 My daughter loves art. Cursive was frustrating for her last year, but this year she truly discovered cursive is like a form of art in writing so she has been writing a lot in cursive. Doing well!
    Co-Op: Math Games, Lego/Choir, American Girl History (this included reading a 60-pg book weekly, answering comp questions along with a timeline and LOTS of awesome hands on fun at the co-op. She truly loved this class. She loves history.)Writing Made Fun (this class dabbled in grammar and writing, but nothing structured. I want to make sure she starts a structured program this coming year so she can start to develop those skills.), Science, Art

DS(7)-MPK/CO-OP
    PHONICS - FSR A-D
    We still have half of FSR-D to go...trying to finish it up this summer but it has been rocky. My son is fighting it...
    CSPK/1 - Almost done. Still have what is left to coordinate with the last half of FSR-D.
    MathUSee - Alpha (we have made it halfway. So, we completed all of single-digit addition, we are trying to get into subtraction yet this summer. Again, this guy is fighting me.)
    Copybook We didn't focus on this totally. He only did about 4 pages so far.
    Co-Op: Storytime & Writing, PE, Art, Geography...

I was trying to set us up to be able to bump levels. I'm thinking:

DS(14) - SC4?
    DS(12) - Unsure
    DS(10) - MP3
    DS(7) - MP1

I have some CO-OP selections too, but my goal for this year is to try and get a little more Independence for some of my older kiddos in some arenas and try to make sure I can help each kid in their greatest needs. Another big goal is to really get my old moving the needle with reading. He gets mad because he doesn't want to read baby books. He wants to read bigger books like his siblings. I keep telling him that even they had to start with the same types of smaller books. I am still working on better discipline and helping the kids with their own emotions. We still struggle in those arenas.

Thanks for any tips! Oh, and if anyone has any tips on having to sit with so many kiddos for their work all while managing a 1-yr old...I'm all ears! This newest little guy is a total joy, but he's also into everything already at 9 mo old!

​​​​​​​Thanks!
Working...
X