Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Best Tips for Second Form Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Tips for Second Form Latin?

I'm looking for tips and advice from mommas and staff who have guided children through Second Form Latin.

My twin boys have dyslexia, dysgraphia and auditory processing disorder between them. We just finished up First Form, on a one year pace, through our local Cottage School. I'm very happy with how they've done this year.

I'm looking ahead to the fall and Second Form. I'm already planning to do a FFL review at home later in the summer, before school starts. I'd love to hear more about what I can do to ensure success and mastery for SFL. We will be on a 1 year path with SFL, since we are outsourcing, so I won't have any wiggle room with dialing things back.
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Out of the nest, small business owner
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade Cottage School Diploma Program/MPOA
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School
    DS6 - 6 - MP K

Congratulations to you and your boys, Dianna! I think you're far ahead of most of us on this forum, but I can share a few tips from teaching First Form Latin with my daughter who shares some of your boys' learning needs.

For us, the actual lesson is always reasonably smooth but the cumulative knowledge becomes mixed up without extra review, practice, and application. If you anticipate this for your boys, here are a few tips to keep both the new lesson and the cumulative material front-and-center all year for mastery at the pacing you describe:
    • Obtain your own set of SFL flashcards, SFL chart, pronunciation CD, or SFL DVD for home use.
    • Plan 10-15 min cumulative flashcard practice at home nightly if possible (vocabulary nouns one night, verbs another, sayings another, and grammar forms the remaining two). At least once weekly include spelling.
    • Consider once weekly grammar copywork or, if they already have too much writing, conduct a full cumulative oral grammar recitation at home. Use the visual charts if this helps. (The visual charts help us tremendously.)
    • Have your boys make their own set of flashcards after each lesson, add to their personalized individual sets, and play matching games (Memory, Go Fish) games with an older sibling, parent, or each other.
    • Assign the pronunciation CD for listening once a week in the car, on errands, or at home.
    • Overall, plan to do whatever is the most efficient and truly feasible for your family and your time: games, audio cd, watching and re-watching the DVD, copywork, independent flashcard review with a timer, or drills you lead (flashcards, oral recitations). As you know, the more ways students interact with the material, the more likely they will be to remember and master everything in the one-year pacing.
    Last edited by cherylswope; 05-20-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Thank you, cherylswope ---- I find myself hesitant to post over here sometimes --- because I feel like we're in a strange sort of limbo --- ahead in some things, behind in others. But, I know that there may be moms in the same boat, so I put it out there publicly, instead of just emailing you.

I'm printing this out and sticking it in my homeschool plans binder.
      Plans for 2020-21

DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

DiannaKennedy, you are welcome here any time!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
          Thank you, cherylswope ---- I find myself hesitant to post over here sometimes --- because I feel like we're in a strange sort of limbo --- ahead in some things, behind in others.
          Girl, that's where MOST of us are. Seriously, we were just talking about that last night in the SC Moms meetup. My 11yo is reading King Arthur for fun (yes, from the 6th grade core) while he is doing 2nd grade literature because he isn't ready for the guide work. It's the way this kind of thing goes and we're all in the same limbo.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
          DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
          DS11: SC 4
          DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
          DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
          DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            I'm looking for tips and advice from mommas and staff who have guided children through Second Form Latin.

My twin boys have dyslexia, dysgraphia and auditory processing disorder between them. We just finished up First Form, on a one year pace, through our local Cottage School. I'm very happy with how they've done this year.

I'm looking ahead to the fall and Second Form. I'm already planning to do a FFL review at home later in the summer, before school starts. I'd love to hear more about what I can do to ensure success and mastery for SFL. We will be on a 1 year path with SFL, since we are outsourcing, so I won't have any wiggle room with dialing things back.
            Hi Dianna,

Both of my older boys with SN (one w/ autism, the other w/ dyslexia) have passed through Second Form now. That was actually the level where I really began to see the benefits for them of learning Latin. For my son with autism, we took 2 years with FFL, but he was able to follow the SFL lesson plans as written in one year. So if your boys have been progressing this year at the cottage school pace, they should be able to keep up again next year and do well.

For my son with dyslexia, SFL was where we began to see his English spelling improve a lot! And both boys were really proud to be able to take the NLE Intro that year, and both did well on it. I bet your boys will have a great year!

We used MP's FFL review workbook for my second son over the summer, and that was really helpful too.
            Catherine

2019-20
            DS16, 10th with MPOA
            DS14, 7th
            DS13, 6th
            DD13, 6th
            DS7, MP1 with Barton Reading & Spelling
            DD4, JrK
            DS 23 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
            2 in classical school

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

Girl, that's where MOST of us are. Seriously, we were just talking about that last night in the SC Moms meetup. My 11yo is reading King Arthur for fun (yes, from the 6th grade core) while he is doing 2nd grade literature because he isn't ready for the guide work. It's the way this kind of thing goes and we're all in the same limbo.
              Well ---- I'm acutely aware of that ugly dragon of Comparison, you know? I know there are plenty of times I read posts and think, "Gosh -- why can't I get that accomplished in my homeschool?" I wouldn't want someone to see a post on SFL from me and think the same thing.

Plans for 2020-21

DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

Originally posted by CatherineS View Post

Hi Dianna,

Both of my older boys with SN (one w/ autism, the other w/ dyslexia) have passed through Second Form now. That was actually the level where I really began to see the benefits for them of learning Latin. For my son with autism, we took 2 years with FFL, but he was able to follow the SFL lesson plans as written in one year. So if your boys have been progressing this year at the cottage school pace, they should be able to keep up again next year and do well.

For my son with dyslexia, SFL was where we began to see his English spelling improve a lot! And both boys were really proud to be able to take the NLE Intro that year, and both did well on it. I bet your boys will have a great year!

We used MP's FFL review workbook for my second son over the summer, and that was really helpful too.
                Thank you! This also helps to alleviate some of my trepidation. I think part of the issue for me is lack of confidence in myself as a facilitator. I hire out Latin, and in the early years (Prima, LC, and the first few sections of FFL), I'm able to help out. As we move into the more advanced stages, I'm lost. Thankfully, my soon to be high schooler is finishing up Henle II, so she is an excellent resource for all of us.

It makes me feel more relaxed to know that this is doable.
                Plans for 2020-21

DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

Working...
                X