Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Audio Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Books

I am looking for audio book suggestions. We use John Senior's book list as a supplement to school books. However, my daughter is a little immature and very sensitive; many of the books for two to seven year olds are still too graphic and violent for her. We will absolutely continue with the list, but we need more age-appropriate stories first. This is not a matter of vocabulary, but a matter of content. I tried Water Babies with her, but she was in tears within about two minutes. I wish there were more authors like Beatrix Potter, Kenneth Grahame, and A A Milne. Even Lewis Carroll is a better fit, at this time, than many of the authors for young children on Senior's list. We have been through heaps of fairy tales, but it seems that if all she listens to is the Colour Fairy Books...she just cannot sleep at night. Perhaps reading one original fairy tales per week is sufficient? even though much less than intended by teachers such as Senior. Does anyone have any suggestions? She does prefer to listen to longer audio books, not just a 15-minute Dr. Suess book. We use Audible and I do not mind paying for well-read classics; my daughter often listens to an audio book 50 times. Librivox options, when well-read, are also lovely! Thank you for any ideas!

My daughter has similar sensitivities and appreciated these CD's, especially the first two. While not audio books, they provide children's poetry in a gentle way. Even today she loves listening to Eugene Fields children's poetry set to music. I'll see if she has time to create a "Sensitive Readers" book list for audio books.

Comment

cherylswope Thank you again! This is exquisite!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
        I am looking for audio book suggestions. We use John Senior's book list as a supplement to school books. However, my daughter is a little immature and very sensitive; many of the books for two to seven year olds are still too graphic and violent for her. We will absolutely continue with the list, but we need more age-appropriate stories first. This is not a matter of vocabulary, but a matter of content. I tried Water Babies with her, but she was in tears within about two minutes. I wish there were more authors like Beatrix Potter, Kenneth Grahame, and A A Milne. Even Lewis Carroll is a better fit, at this time, than many of the authors for young children on Senior's list. We have been through heaps of fairy tales, but it seems that if all she listens to is the Colour Fairy Books...she just cannot sleep at night. Perhaps reading one original fairy tales per week is sufficient? even though much less than intended by teachers such as Senior. Does anyone have any suggestions? She does prefer to listen to longer audio books, not just a 15-minute Dr. Suess book. We use Audible and I do not mind paying for well-read classics; my daughter often listens to an audio book 50 times. Librivox options, when well-read, are also lovely! Thank you for any ideas!
        Hi Jessica Louise, my younger son might not have been quite as sensitive as your daughter, but I too have had to be careful with books for him. Even at 11-years-old when the young man is killed early on in Black Beauty, he said to me, "I can't believe you thought this was a good book to read to us!" (Thankfully we persevered and the beauty of the book had a chance to reveal itself.) Also, I too have found that some of the stories on various lists are really a bit "old" for the ages listed.

You have already done a lot of research, so you may already know of these, but they were/are such beautiful parts of "my" memories of my boys' childhood that I love to share them. In my opinion, "The Wind in the Willows," read by Ralph Cosham is sublime. It was a delight for me to discover Dante read by Cosham for my own reading/listening. "The Trumpet of the Swan," read by the author E.B. White is in the same league.

Also, what about the gentler stories MP lists for slightly older children? I just read aloud "Little Lord Fauntleroy," and found it gentle and beautiful. I don't have a narrator to recommend, but the story might be appropriate. James Herriot's "All Creatures Great and Small" has some lovely pieces and the narrator (sorry I can't remember his name) that we heard was beautiful. What about Thornton Burgess's animal books? We never listened on audio, but my more sensitive son always approved of those stories. Again, there may be nothing new here, but "Anne of Green Gables," "The Secret Garden," "My Father's Dragon," "Paddington" books, Jim Weiss' readings? come to mind. Have you ever read "The King of Ireland's Son"? It's listed on some curricula at grade 2. We did it as a read aloud and I found it beautiful, and I don't remember my more sensitive son disliking it, but it is fairy tale. I don't know if William J. Bennett's works are on audio, but he has beautiful stories in his books.

I'm sorry if these are already on your radar! Best of luck, you are doing something so beautiful for your little girl by finding the best writings for her.

Monica

Comment

I think you should like Jill Barklem stories: she created a visual world very much in the style of Beatrix Potter, but with even gentler stories. Elsa Beskow is another lovely and gentle author, but I don't know what's available as audio.
          DS (14) and DD (13): MPOA and MP, mostly 8th grade
          DS (6): a mix of K resources, MP and not

Comment

Mrs Bee Thank you for the suggestion of Jill Barklem. I see that there are eight stories that can be purchased individually or as sets. Do you have any idea which sets I should buy? I am a little confused. I am afraid that I may end up buying to collections with the same stories in them. Do you know what's what with regard to these collections? Any advise is appreciated!

Comment

KikaMarie Thank you! There are two your list that we haven't read! That is so lovely! Thank you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
                Mrs Bee Thank you for the suggestion of Jill Barklem. I see that there are eight stories that can be purchased individually or as sets. Do you have any idea which sets I should buy? I am a little confused. I am afraid that I may end up buying to collections with the same stories in them. Do you know what's what with regard to these collections? Any advise is appreciated!
                Are you looking at Audible or somewhere else? I don't see sets there. I think those 8 books are all she wrote: my advice would be to check the paper books on Amazon, and see how they've been organized in different sets, and if those sets match what you see as audio book sets: they definitely overlap, so I'd go with anything that says "Complete". Let me know if this is confusing!
                DS (14) and DD (13): MPOA and MP, mostly 8th grade
                DS (6): a mix of K resources, MP and not

Comment

Working...
                X