Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Question on Math -- 11yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Math -- 11yo

My 11yo has been showing alot of interest in multiplication and division despite only being on Lesson 134 of R&S2. He really wants to get to Math 3.

We went through the Math 2 TM for Unit 5 and these are the things he doesn't know:

Triplets 16-18 (other triplets still require review)
    Measurements
    Consistently remembering the odd numbers 1-9
    Consistently remembering which operation sum/difference belong to

I'd like to work more quickly through Unit 5, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this as he only has stamina for one assignment per day (and focus is still a challenge for him even though he's trying to work diligently). Any ideas as to how we could work more quickly so he can get to the "big blue book" he has his eye on?

Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Have you given him the placement test for R&S 3 Math @ milestonebooks.com? That might be worth his time. You could administer in place of his next lesson when he is fresh. Your son is motivated, so his eagerness would help ensure a true picture of his abilities. Score according to the recommendations on the site. Then see what you think.

Comment

I completely forgot about those. They're now printed and ready for him to take tomorrow. Thanks!
      Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

That last unit for 2nd grade has a lot of addition and subtraction practice in it that looks good to me. R&S 3 will continue to review those things, but I wonder if he will have mastery over them if he skips ahead. You might try just speeding through and doing some of those lessons, not really teaching them, but just making sure he can do the work. That would accelerate your pace, hopefully without leaving gaps.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          Jennifer,

That last unit for 2nd grade has a lot of addition and subtraction practice in it that looks good to me. R&S 3 will continue to review those things, but I wonder if he will have mastery over them if he skips ahead. You might try just speeding through and doing some of those lessons, not really teaching them, but just making sure he can do the work. That would accelerate your pace, hopefully without leaving gaps.

Tanya
          That was my original plan (been there/done that with the skipping and gaps thing) but I don't know how to accelerate it when he can only do one, 2-3 page assignment per day? I thought about assigning one page each from two or three lessons each day, but then I would always be questioning whether I was assigning the right pieces...
          Jennifer

Comment

Maybe assign a row at a time, and if he can do that row to your satisfaction, move on. I don't know. It just looks like a lot of good stuff in there to me. But maybe someone who has actually done that unit will kick in here with some help.

Tanya

Comment

Well, Unit 5 also offers a quick overview of multiplication and division including the 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s. It's in the TM. It's rather simple in that you just copy the keys. You could do them concurrently. It's not an option that finishes with Arithmetic 2 any quicker, but at least it satisfies the appetite for multiplication! The first lessons of R&S 3 are review of the triplets anyway. It would seem rather anti-climactic. It took my eldest until R&S Arithmetic 3 to really, truly cement those triplets anyway.

For odd numbers for my son, we lined up Hot Wheels in pairs (groups of 2) and spares under wooden number cards. If the Hot Wheel didn't have an even "buddy" next to him (i.e., "an odd man out") then that number was odd. He quickly got the idea of the concept, but he needed it to be part of daily recitation to truly let it sink in. Are the odd numbers part of a daily recitation?

Measurements were hard for my eldest until this year. We had to get some mason jars (pint, quart) and a gallon sized vinegar jug. We filled them quite a few times that the workbook asked her to write them. Eventually, I wrote all of the "rules" up on the whiteboard and made them daily fill-in-the-blank starters. It was that daily practice that kept it fresh. When we waited for the book to bring up the rule again, it got quickly forgotten.
              Mama to 2, Married 18 years

Summer:
              DS 6-MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
              Fall 2020
              DD9-4A

Comment

Jen,
                If he understands the concept of even and odd, Right Start does quite a few few days of warmup in their first and second grade books of
                -having them softly say one number softer and softer, the next number loud until they give up saying the soft number
                -playing the “comes after” and “comes before” game where you give an odd number, the student gives the next or previous odd number

For the sum/difference confusion, I would recommend moving extra practice with that to daily life. I may be a geek, but I try to use “math” vocabulary in daily life. Can you sum that up for me? There are always things to add or subtract, so try to give some extra practice. In the lesson, try not to always use the the word plus or add when discussing the problems so he gets used to those words meaning the same thing.

Measurement is important, but I would feel comfortable moving on without having all sorts of measurement conversions memorized. Keep discussing them so he has a feel for the size of measurements and numbers to make sure his answers are reasonable, but It isn’t going to prevent him from learning multiplication if he doesn’t know that there are 4 quarts in a gallon. That is enrichment unless you are planning to run a general store.

I think it is great that he is looking forward to multiplication! Does rod and staff have the student learn skip counting? I remember skip counting while jumping rope or that sort of thing. Doubling recipes, measurements during baking. What if we were having 10 people over for dinner, how much would we need to make? Anything fun you can incorporate without paper and pencil can help enrich the math lesson without using up his stamina.
                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

According to the placement test instructions, he's mastered Math 2. I had to put the horizontal problems with multiple place values into vertical format so he could keep the numbers straight, but he did fine after that. The only two problems he got wrong were an ounce/pound conversion and a subtraction problem that I know he knows how to do, he just got the ones' place wrong. He was able to correct it.

I think I'll let him move to Math 3. I would be worried about skipping, but since the Unit 5 items are covered in the first part of Math 3, I think it's more a case of "covering it in one book instead of the other" rather than skipping. I'm going to let him know that we will be taking those lessons more slowly though, doing more blacklines, etc. if needed to ensure mastery.
                  Jennifer

Comment

I know your time is tight, but when you know you're approaching a topic likely to be challenging, you might go back to the place in the R&S 2 Teacher Manual where a topic was introduced. Then you can teach from the beginning before reviewing. In addition to your good reminder that you will be moving slowly at first, you might remind him that sometimes you both might need to go back to R&S 2 if needed, just to give yourself that flexibility. I hope he does well!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                      I know your time is tight, but when you know you're approaching a topic likely to be challenging, you might go back to the place in the R&S 2 Teacher Manual where a topic was introduced. Then you can teach from the beginning before reviewing. In addition to your good reminder that you will be moving slowly at first, you might remind him that sometimes you both might need to go back to R&S 2 if needed, just to give yourself that flexibility. I hope he does well!
                      Great idea. Thank you!
                      Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                      X