Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 1 Math (Rod & Staff Arithmetic 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC 1 Math (Rod & Staff Arithmetic 1)

We're on about Lesson 20 of Rod & Staff Arithmetic 1 using the SC 1 plans. My 6yo declares math to be his favorite subject, and in truth he's . He is doing ALL of the blacklines (he's asking to do 6-8 a day, and he's 100% spot-on). I've even been adding some writing the before, between and after numbers in the 30s-90s, writing the two 2-digit numbers that come after a 10s-90s number, doing more or less with numbers up to 100, connect the dots up to the 70s, skip-counting by 2s and 5s past 100, etc. He's even wanting to push on with the five facts house. But we're hitting a few issues I didn't see addressed in the CM or TM.

1) Having taught R&S before, when reading the flashcards, the students are supposed to say, "Four plus zero, four." But while this was mentioned in the TM as the goal, I need some time to work in the whole concept of the equals sign, especially when he writes the equation or copies it in the facts house. I really didn't see any guidance about when to stop saying "equals." In the first few lessons of the TM, they mention saying the equals sign, but when does this get dropped?

2) When we do flashcards, I have him try to just say the answer. He's really pretty good at it. When he looks at it for more than 5 seconds, I prompt him to read the fact from top to bottom, and we check the back of the card. It wasn't mentioned whether in the beginning I should have him say the entire fact from top to bottom or stick with him just saying the answer.

3) None of the helps in the CM said whether the goal for the student is to be able to recall from memory all of the facts IN the fact houses. When we were lying in bed, I asked him to tell me all the facts that add up to one, and he got the 0+1 and 1+0, then with 2, he got the 0+2 & 2+0, but not 1+1, and with four, he also couldn't tell me 1+3 and 3+1, which is pretty much the only fact he occasionally misses when doing blacklines of the 1-4 fact families. Should he work on memorizing these as if triplets? Or is that more advanced than is needed? He really wants to move on to the 5 fact family, but I don't know if these are so easy that he should be acing them 100% every time, all the time, or whether I should press on and see if we need to go back to some blacklines should he not be able to hold them and distinguish them easily.

4) If handwriting starts to suffer when a child is excited to "compete" and get done quickly, should we slow down and go back to practicing number formation? It seems like only the 3s are suffering (they are slanting like a diagnoal lowercase m).

Thanks
    Mama to 2, Married 18 years

Summer:
    DS 6-MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    Fall 2020
    DD9-4A

We're on about Lesson 20 of Rod & Staff Arithmetic 1 using the SC 1 plans. My 6yo declares math to be his favorite subject, and in truth he's . He is doing ALL of the blacklines (he's asking to do 6-8 a day, and he's 100% spot-on). I've even been adding some writing the before, between and after numbers in the 30s-90s, writing the two 2-digit numbers that come after a 10s-90s number, doing more or less with numbers up to 100, connect the dots up to the 70s, skip-counting by 2s and 5s past 100, etc. He's even wanting to push on with the five facts house.

This is outstanding!

But we're hitting a few issues I didn't see addressed in the CM or TM.

1) Having taught R&S before, when reading the flashcards, the students are supposed to say, "Four plus zero, four." But while this was mentioned in the TM as the goal, I need some time to work in the whole concept of the equals sign, especially when he writes the equation or copies it in the facts house. I really didn't see any guidance about when to stop saying "equals." In the first few lessons of the TM, they mention saying the equals sign, but when does this get dropped?

For our children with a history of language or learning challenges, I prefer using "is" to signify "equals," and I prefer keeping "is" throughout those early years whenever stating drills as equations.

2) When we do flashcards, I have him try to just say the answer. He's really pretty good at it. When he looks at it for more than 5 seconds, I prompt him to read the fact from top to bottom, and we check the back of the card. It wasn't mentioned whether in the beginning I should have him say the entire fact from top to bottom or stick with him just saying the answer.

Your call there. We're looking for automaticity, so for me hearing the answer alone is sufficient as this promotes the fast-pace, steady rhythm we seek with flashcards.

3) None of the helps in the CM said whether the goal for the student is to be able to recall from memory all of the facts IN the fact houses. When we were lying in bed, I asked him to tell me all the facts that add up to one, and he got the 0+1 and 1+0, then with 2, he got the 0+2 & 2+0, but not 1+1, and with four, he also couldn't tell me 1+3 and 3+1, which is pretty much the only fact he occasionally misses when doing blacklines of the 1-4 fact families. Should he work on memorizing these as if triplets? Or is that more advanced than is needed? He really wants to move on to the 5 fact family, but I don't know if these are so easy that he should be acing them 100% every time, all the time, or whether I should press on and see if we need to go back to some blacklines should he not be able to hold them and distinguish them easily.

You can isolate 1+1, (possibly also 1+2) 1+3, 3+1 more intentionally in varied ways. Use "one more" in your language. "Here is one of our books for today. We need one more." Then place the other book on the table, "Now we have two. 1 plus one more is 2! Can you think of our math fact that says this in numbers?" Have the card for 1+1 = 2 at the ready to give him the visual input. At lunch, you might say, "I'm thinking of giving you three apple slices. Would you like one more than three?" If he says yes, "How many will that be?"

Regarding the pacing, I would trust the intended pacing given how well he is doing. If the pacing moves forward only slightly beyond his mastery, review not-yet-mastered facts in drills, through language as described above, in matching games, and with manipulatives alongside cards to demonstrate.

Whenever he wants to forge ahead of the pacing, he might confuse himself unwittingly, so help him keep a slow-and-steady mindset by "rewarding" him with the extra blacklines he loves.

4) If handwriting starts to suffer when a child is excited to "compete" and get done quickly, should we slow down and go back to practicing number formation? It seems like only the 3s are suffering (they are slanting like a diagnoal lowercase m).

Yes, try not to let his zeal for "extra" confound the need for accuracy. Isolate those 3's for now. Practice on the white board, in sand or clay with an index finger if this helps, copying models, and give him verbal cues "standing tall and straight like a soldier." Circle or star his best 3's to give him the visual cue. Be careful not to belabor any practice, as fatigue or rushing will result in practicing bad habits. Instead, tell him that he needs only 3 good 3's in his practice, and then he will be finished!

Comment

Wise words all!

We appreciate the positive feedback and helpful hints.

Summer:
      Fall 2020
      DD9-4A

Comment

cherylswope

Sorry to bug you again, but as we're moving forward with the subitizing (seeing a group and recognizing how many are there instead of counting), I am noticing that in the teens, the pattern moves from easily recognizable clusters of 4s and 5s (as on dice) to 10 plus a linear format of dots. He is doing so, so well with recognizing these groups, which is awesome, and in turn his counting of identical items is proving far more accurate on first counting because his brain remembers which group he has already counted. So, as we move up through subitizing the dots, should I be making flashcards for the higher number dots? I bought the manilla R&S Grade Arithmetic 1 flashcards, which I love, but the dots on the back of the numbers only go up through 10. Is the point after this to just look at dice and see the patterns continue for doubles and such? My only concern with the dice is that I didn't want him counting on his fingers, and he doesn't yet know beyond his 5s family.

By the way, if I may brag on Simply Classical for a moment, he is doing so well with R&S Arithmetic 1! It remains his favorite subject of the day, and just yesterday he counted to 101 by odd numbers, 204 by even numbers, to 400 by 10s and to 205 by 5s! He can write any number I dictate up to 100. He also counted backwards from 100 to 0 flawlessly. I cannot believe his number sense for only having 20-odd lessons of R&S. I really give credit to the Recitation component of SC C! He has enjoyed counting, our hundreds chart and the number line I created on the board. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the ways you've laid a beautiful foundation for his seamless transition to R&S Arithmetic 1! All of the cutting, coloring and fine motor practice has equipped him to excel.

Summer:
        Fall 2020
        DD9-4A

Comment

enbateau thank you for this update. You are most certainly welcome.

If I understand the question correctly, I agree that it might be best to use dice (or Dominoes up to 12) for sums he knows, unless he can recognize the pattern without counting. If you make flashcards as you suggest and as taught in R&S, this might help him to "see" the larger numbers without relying on counting those individual dots.

Comment

Yeah, I struggled with how to ask what I was trying to say, too. Err...ummm...is it important for him to easily recognize 15 dots as two groups of five plus a string of five linear dots (as in the worksheet), or is that not a main focus later? I didn't really see a whole lot of subitizing throughout the rest of the book, so I didn't want to make the flashcards if the goal is to move on to see numbers as more than just groups of the five dots or rows of three dots (with 3, 6, 9), etc.

We've been working with Base 10 Blocks throughout the R&S lessons, using it with the introduction of each fact house in lieu of the feltboard material. He gets the idea of unit cubes, ten bars, hundred flats and thousand cubes. However, whenever he sees the pack of 10 crayons, he counts them individually every time. Today, I asked him if he noticed that every time he counts the pack of crayons, it always has 10. He said he did, but he "likes" to count them anyway. When he sees the dots in the teens, he just gets it and writes the number. He can count on from 10, which is good, but he still isn't linking the idea with the crayons. I wondered if the subitizing of dots provided some foundational skill that is crucial for moving forward and "mastering".

Summer:
            Fall 2020
            DD9-4A

Comment

I think I understand and agree that you do not need to make those flashcards for numbers in the teens. It is interesting that he "sees" 10 in the pack but prefers counting them. He is enjoying his math lessons!

Comment

Funny, this morning before he even started, I asked, "Now, how many crayons are going to be in that box?"
                "Ten!" he declared. "Ten plus four more make fourteen. I know!"
                As soon as I got up from the table, he stopped writing 14s to count the crayons in the box. So, at least he's now associating the box with 10.

Thanks for all the help.

Summer:
                Fall 2020
                DD9-4A

Comment

Can I add my two cents? I know Cheryl has already addressed all your questions, but the first time I read this post I was thinking about how I would answer then got wrapped up in a project and forgot to answer at all! Is this because I am getting older or because I have attention issues, who knows! Here is what I remember of my thoughts about your questions:

1) When saying the facts we want students to omit "equals" for time sake really. And actually you gave the perfect example as to why it is important. Students can recall the facts easier if they can omit all the equals language. Now, when introducing the fact houses or talking about facts and their answers I always said equals so they would hear the language and get some understanding, especially if we were doing the chalkboard exercises.

2) For flashcards I don't have them read the fact at all, just say the answer. We are looking for speed there so repeating the fact before giving the answer takes WAY TOO MUCH time. When I did flashcards with my children and they missed an answer I would tell them the correct answer then say "look at this again, got it?" Then I stuck that card back in the stack to be answered.

3) The fact houses is really a recitation tool. The goal is they have those facts mastered but complete recall of the houses, in order, does not have to occur. When you are introducting a new fact house, point out how the top row of the addition houses go up from 0 and end with the fact house number. Then point out how the middle row goes backward from the fact house number to zero. Lastly examine how the bottom row is all the same. Just pointing this out will help a bit. If you are just on the 5 fact family I wouldn't expect him to have picked up on the pattern unless you have been stressing it----and that is ok. The pattern isn't the end goal. Math is developmental, like reading, and it is hard. Give time and keep working on those facts! You are lucky you are not batttling someone who hates math because that makes it even harder, believe me. I speak from personal experience.

Blessings,

Comment

I appreciate the input! I was going over the fact houses today, and it dawned on me how the TM really did treat it like recitation (say it as I write it). This is my first time not going through R&S as a rapid survey to catch up my rising 2nd grader. I trust that if R&S says to do it, eventually it will click, so onward we go. He is at the point of being rapid and accurate, so maybe being older and ready is helping.

Summer:
                    Fall 2020
                    DD9-4A

Comment

Working...
                    X