Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Spelling Issues-Autism and Dysgraphia-- is MP Special Needs Spelling enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling Issues-Autism and Dysgraphia-- is MP Special Needs Spelling enough?

Hi

My son is 10 and is Autistic and has other issues as well, such as dysgraphia and is quite challenged in spelling. I am debating whether to get something like Dianne Craft materials or fully commit to special needs MP spelling. I want to know if the MP special needs curriculum sufficiently address the unique spelling challenges that come with someone who is on the spectrum and has other difficulties like dysgraphia.

He learned to read very early and is a great reader but continues to struggle with spelling.

Thank you
    Betty Wicks

Married mom to 4 kids and 1 one on the way. We have been a homeschool family since 2015.

I have two kids with Special Needs: 10 year old with Autism and a 6 year old with Dyslexia.

Good morning! If you would like to begin at the beginning, we suggest this progression:

Simply Classical Spelling: Step-by-Step Words Book One (opt. add Core Skills: Spelling K as a supplement) -- aural; requires minimal writing
    Simply Classical Spelling: Step-by-Step Words Book Two (opt. add Core Skills: Spelling 1 as a supplement) -- aural; step-by-step dictation of sounds with minimal writing
    Traditional Spelling I with SC Lesson Plans (include all color-coding) -- can be easily modified for dysgraphia (e.g., easy-glide writing on white board, oral spelling games)
    Traditional Spelling II with SC Lesson Plans (include all color-coding) -- can be easily modified for dysgraphia (e.g., easy-glide writing on white board, oral spelling games

If you wanted to add other materials to this progression, of course you would be free to do so. You might start with the above, which are all reasonably open-and-go, and see if you need anything additional.
    cherylswope
    MP Representative
    Last edited by cherylswope; 04-21-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you.

One last question, in addition to buying the MP SC Traditional Spelling along with buying those spelling cards with the colorful images and symbols (Dianne Craft style) be superflous??
      He did really well with those types of cards when we tried it. But, I know we need more than that. I love MP and I would rather stick with that if possible.
      Betty Wicks

Married mom to 4 kids and 1 one on the way. We have been a homeschool family since 2015.

I have two kids with Special Needs: 10 year old with Autism and a 6 year old with Dyslexia.

Comment

Somehow I think a word or two might have been omitted from the question so I'm not sure if I am answering your question, but this is the set we recommend:

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...al-spelling-i/

along with these lesson plans (scroll down to Special Needs, Level 4), https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...plans-subject/
        Simply Classical Level 4 Spelling Lesson Plans

Comment

I just re-read my post and I must have been distracted! I skipped a few words, I am sorry! Thank you for your help.
          Betty Wicks

Comment

Hi, I bought the traditional spelling 1. But, when I started to look over the teacher's manual, I realized I am missing the Classical Phonics book. I am not sure which one this is. Can you tell me which Classical Phonics book coincides with Traditional Spelling book 1 please.

Betty
            Betty Wicks

Comment

Certainly! Here is the complete Traditional Spelling I Set. You may also want the Simply Classical Level 4 Individual Lesson Plans. Scroll down to Special Needs through this link, https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...plans-subject/, to order "Simply Classical Level 4 Spelling Lesson Plans."
              The Traditional Spelling program incorporates reading, writing, and dictation of spelling words. Each lesson in Traditional Spelling I has a 4-page spread of activities in the student book, vocabulary definitions, and teacher-directed classroom activities and educational games.

Comment

Oh, Jeez, there it is. I got everything else BUT the phonics book! No wonder I was so confused!! Thank you so much
                I got the Level 4 spelling lessons plans
                thank you!
                Betty Wicks

Comment

Update:

We are doing Spelling Level 1 with my 10 year old ASD son.

Wow! He is doing great!! There is definitely plenty of support throughout the week. I noticed by the time we get to the Spelling Test, he is pretty prepared.

I know it will get harder over time but we will modify as needed. I think this level ended up being perfect for him.

I am so happy for him! He is spelling!!!
                  Betty Wicks

Comment

Thank you for the update! This is wonderful to hear!

Comment

Working...
                    X