Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Where to place rising 1st grader and kindergartener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to place rising 1st grader and kindergartener?

Hello! I posted on the main board and someone suggested I post over here also. I have a 6yo boy and a 5yo girl, both with very high functioning autism (and a crazy 2yo boy, also likely in the spectrum). Neither has any intellectual delays, but both have some fine motor delays. Both have amazing (and I mean amazing) memories and we've already learned lots of hymns, songs, and poems. We also do a ton of reading aloud, both picture and chapter books and both kids seem to have good reading comprehension and have no trouble following a story or predicting what might happen next.

My son definitely needed that kindergarten year to continue working on basic life skills and learn how to delay his play for less fun tasks (chores, etc.). He can write all his letters and numbers and is reading CVC words. He hated FSR when I tried it last fall so I backed off and just taught him how to blend simple words on the white board. We're almost done with Singapore math K and will work on mastering addition facts next. He loves math and I plan to continue with Singapore 1 in the fall. We want him to be doing MP 2 once he hits second grade. I'd already planned on following a Charlotte Mason curriculum next year (and bought all the books) but now I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should be doing this year to prepare him for MP 2 the following year.

My daughter recently turned 5. She struggles more with fine motor skills than my son but is really interested in writing lately and has been doing a good job with writing 1-5. She's working through WritingOur Catholic Faith Pre-K and enjoying it. I still have to remind her to hold her pencil/crayon properly but she can at least do it now. She can read CVC words. She also loves math, and I plan to use Singapore K with her next year. Five seems to be a difficult age for my kids, and I'm thinking she's going to need a K year like my son without much formal academics, but maybe I'm wrong.

So, I guess my question is what do I do with my kids now if my goal is to have everyone in full MP by second grade?

2022-2023
    DS1 (8) - MP3
    DD (7) - MP2
    DS2 (4) - SCB
    +6 little souls in Heaven+

Hello! Your children memorize readily, so you might obtain the Recitation list from MP K & 1. This can be purchased separately.

Although your children's fine-motor skills are still emerging, MP 2 will presume a strong grasp of phonics beyond CVC words so you will need to teach phonics. You can do this through the various resources gathered here which, for the most part, require less writing: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...onics-reading/. If you would like the daily lesson plans to pull everything together, you can purchase those separately. We also offer Phonics & Reading Intensives that might appeal to you: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...ing-intensives

Consider teaching especially from these:
    Simply Classical Storytime Treasures, https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...treasures-set/, and Simply Classical More Storytime Treasures, https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...student-guide/, both of which reduce writing but continue to focus on phonics, common words, and early reading.

If you can teach your 6yo from Traditional Spelling I, as taught in MP 1, this will help prepare him for Traditional Spelling II taught in MP 2 and will further develop his understanding of phonics for both reading and spelling. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...pelling-i-set/

Last but certainly not least, because both of your older children are on the spectrum I encourage you to teach your entire crew from Myself & Others: Lessons in Social Understanding, Habits, & Manners Book One Set (no writing required), https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...myself-others/. This is a 14-week course with visual cues, hand signals, and brief lessons to help teach and reinforce the social expectations they might otherwise miss. Each lesson is wrapped in a weekly children's book to bring the messages to life. From there, you can teach from the Book Two Set, also 14 weeks, which will add some visual/fine-motor practice.

This was quite a bit of information. If you would like a compiled order list, just let me know here or by email, [email protected]. I can pull together the recommended items including those Individual Lesson Plans. Memoria Press currently offers free shipping, so this is a good time to order.

Comment

And if you have not yet read this book, I encourage you to read the latest edition from Memoria Press, https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...econd-edition/.

Comment

Thanks for your help, Cheryl! I just clarify a few things with you?

For my first grader, would I follow the phonics plans for SC1? Would I want to complete that before starting the SC Story Time Treasures book and/or the classical spelling? If so, would I just play a bit of slow catch up through the summers to get us on track for second grade the following fall?

I'm really not sure what to do for my kindergartener. She's been highly verbal from a very young age. She can read CVC words and told me she wants to learn to read, but she really struggles with writing. I'm not sure she'd be ready to follow the traditional K plans for FSR both writing and attention-wise. Simply Classical C seems like it may be a bit below where she's at. Do you think I should try the SC1 phonics plan with her, too?

We've been working through and enjoying the pre-K and K recitation this year. Would you recommend doing the regular first grade recitation next year or is there a different one that would be a better fit considering we're behind on phonics? This year we've all done recitation together.

I already have the Simply Classical book in my cart! And we'll definitely work through Myself and Others. Thanks for the suggestion. I've really been needing something like that.
        2022-2023
        DS1 (8) - MP3
        DD (7) - MP2
        DS2 (4) - SCB

Comment

You are welcome! Yes, you could work through the full Simply Classical Level 1 Phonics & Reading with both children at the same time. Your daughter might "audit" some of the writing portions and follow along orally. Also, in SC 1 we use plenty of non-writing review, games, etc., so that will help. If you did this, you could wait on SC Storytime & SC More Storytime until we schedule these. An ideal progression would be this:

SC 1 Phonics & Reading
          SC 2 Phonics & Reading which includes SC Storytime; summer: SC 3 Phonics & Reading plans for FSR E & SC More Storytime
          MP 2

That might be slower than what you had hoped, but you might be able to accelerate through SC 1 & 2.

We have not yet mentioned arithmetic, but just be sure that you use your recitation/memory time to practice math facts. Our SC 1, SC 2, SC 3 work on these along with Arithmetic Read-Alouds for concept development. MP 2 will presume good "automaticity" with math facts but will continue working on them.

SC 1 & 2 come with coordinating recitations, so you might want the entire Curriculum Manuals for SC 1 & 2. This would give you phonics, recitations, many fine-motor & pragmatic language tips in the front of each manual, and extra non-writing math practice to add to your current math program.

Feel free to follow up again. I know you're juggling two children at varying levels! Your little one can sit in on some of the Myself & Others Book One lessons. Then you can repeat M&O with that child. If you want a good language-based, attention-span-stretching program for your little one, consider also SC A, possibly first thing in the morning or before bedtime. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...riculum-level/

Comment

Thank you again, Cheryl. That makes things very clear for me. One last question...at what point would I want to do traditional spelling with each child?
            2022-2023
            DS1 (8) - MP3
            DD (7) - MP2
            DS2 (4) - SCB

Comment

Traditional Spelling I is taught in MP 1, so you assume the prerequisites of phonics beyond CVC as taught in MP K. (By way of comparison, in SC we defer Traditional Spelling I until Level 4, so students have strong instruction in phonics, decoding, and fluency in reading through SC 1, 2, 3 before beginning TS I.)

If you need a good in-between step for both children, you might look at Simply Classical Spelling One: Step-by-Step Words, which we teach in SC Level 2. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...ords-book-one/

Comment

And you may ask as many questions as you have! We want your children to be properly placed.

Comment

One way we adapted FSR A (at the end of SC C...as we start SC 1 this summer) was to have my reluctant writer use a dry erase board. I wrote the FSR words on a lined whiteboard (they have simple ones at Dollar Tree), and he copied beneath. The low friction of the marker along with the ability to isolate ONLY the word or words I wanted copied made an impossible task highly successful. For our bright but on-their-own-pace learners, we adapt the curriculum to do everything required to build the skill (but not always as written). The important thing is to trust where the curriculum plans to take your students, and don't skip over the components that are necessary to get him or her there! I love how cohesive MP's Simply Classical line is. While I was teaching my neurotypical elder child MP2, I was seeing how SC B was introducing a foundation for what he would be studying when he got to her level. It is artfully put together. And seeing my son thrive, not always even at the SC pace, but in God's perfect timing, has been all the fruit I need to see to be so thrilled with our choice of Simply Classical.

Glad to see you've been pointed in the right direction. Welcome to MP!
                  Mama of 2, teacher of 3
                  SY 22/23
                  6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
                  MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
                  SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                    One way we adapted FSR A (at the end of SC C...as we start SC 1 this summer) was to have my reluctant writer use a dry erase board. I wrote the FSR words on a lined whiteboard (they have simple ones at Dollar Tree), and he copied beneath. The low friction of the marker along with the ability to isolate ONLY the word or words I wanted copied made an impossible task highly successful. For our bright but on-their-own-pace learners, we adapt the curriculum to do everything required to build the skill (but not always as written). The important thing is to trust where the curriculum plans to take your students, and don't skip over the components that are necessary to get him or her there! I love how cohesive MP's Simply Classical line is. While I was teaching my neurotypical elder child MP2, I was seeing how SC B was introducing a foundation for what he would be studying when he got to her level. It is artfully put together. And seeing my son thrive, not always even at the SC pace, but in God's perfect timing, has been all the fruit I need to see to be so thrilled with our choice of Simply Classical.

Glad to see you've been pointed in the right direction. Welcome to MP!
                    Thank you! That's a great idea about the white board. Both my kids love writing on the white board. Once we're finally allowed out of the house again I'll have to check for a lined one.
                    2022-2023
                    DS1 (8) - MP3
                    DD (7) - MP2
                    DS2 (4) - SCB

Comment

I really appreciate all your advice, Cheryl.

It's so hard to know what to do with these beautiful children because they're so bright and so much like typical children in most ways, but we definitely have extra struggles that make traditional school work a bit more challenging. I don't want to hold anyone back academically, but I also don't want to be pushing for something that doesn't meet a child where he's at. I'm thinking I'll start my oldest on SC1 phonics this spring and we'll just see where we're at as we approach 2nd grade the following fall. Thank you for giving me a sequence to work with. My goal is to be using full MP cores (minus math) at some level after next year.

For my rising K daughter who also has autism, would you try the regular K phonics progression and see how it goes or just start her out with SC1 as well? She seems to have a nack for all things verbal (was speaking in complete sentences by 18mo) but she's also wiggly to the max, struggles with writing and pencil grip, and has a hard time doing things that aren't on her agenda.
                      2022-2023
                      DS1 (8) - MP3
                      DD (7) - MP2
                      DS2 (4) - SCB

Comment

For the sake of ease and for the sake of prevention, I would teach both from SC 1 phonics. You will find in your SC 1 lesson plans many ways to teach seriously but then practice in engaging, fun, and even silly ways.

Many of us can relate to having bright children who seem to have "invisible" needs. Those needs are real, so as parents we must not discount them even though others might fail to see the impact.

Comment

Thanks, Cheryl! That's what we'll do. Do I need the full book of SC1 lesson plans for the teaching suggestions or are they in the individual phonics lesson plans? I'm just trying to figure out how to make things as economical as possible for now so I can save up to buy the full SC2 once we get there.
                          2022-2023
                          DS1 (8) - MP3
                          DD (7) - MP2
                          DS2 (4) - SCB

Comment

For Phonics & Reading from Level 1, you would need only these:You might be able to accelerate through A and B. First see how it goes teaching as written, even if it seems easy. We ramp up the difficulty after the first few weeks.

When you finish all of Level 1 Phonics & Reading, you may teach Level 2!

I'm excited for you --

Comment

You are the best, Cheryl! Thanks for all your help. I'm excited too. I love reading lots of good books with the kids (and will continue to do so) but I'm realizing we need something much more cohesive for actual schooling.
                              2022-2023
                              DS1 (8) - MP3
                              DD (7) - MP2
                              DS2 (4) - SCB

Comment

Working...
                              X