Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Announcing SC 7&8!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just received the final books I needed for next year. I have been thumbing through spelling. I thought words would be grouped by a phonetic pattern or rule, but I'm having trouble picking out a discernable pattern to the word lists. Is it grouping two different spelling patterns or phonics into one list? Or something else? I feel foolish that fourth grade spelling is stumping me.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

If you look at Lesson 2 and beyond, you'll see boxes with notes about patterns.

Example: Lesson 2, "Between two vowel sounds a consonant sound is usually spelled with a single letter when the vowel sound before it is long (as in meter). When the first vowel sound is short, the consonant sound is usually spelled with double letters (as in mitten)." Rather than group ALL words into a list with this pattern in a potentially overly-obvious way, as we do in early years of spelling (mitten, kitten), which might now lead to simple memorization, this rule combines with other rules to create a little more challenge to each lesson and ease into the slightly more "dialectic" stage of word analysis.

If it would help, you could pre-group the words by phonetic pattern as in previous programs.

Example: In Lesson 2 you might create review the /ea/ vowel team. Then teach the Lesson 2 words with this pattern: team, beans, heap, beads. Ask if any other word in the list has a long e? (weed) How is that word spelled? (ee). Set that word in its own category. Then move to another pattern in the lesson, such as double letters: bottom, rabbit, hammer, etc. Use the boxes to guide your search and help you create these mini word lists.

Sometimes the words might be grouped by word structure rather than phonetic pattern, as with contractions.

You can group these before you begin or have your son help you "hunt down" the words that fit the patterns. You might issue him a magnifying glass for this portion and conduct the pre-grouping in the same manner each day. You might find that this process helps his spelling throughout the course. After the grouping exercise on the first day, you can proceed to teach as indicated in the Teacher Manual.

I hope that helps! If yes, we'll add some notes to the Curriculum Manual.

Comment

Working...
      X