Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Switch to SC 5&6 or stick with MP 3A plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to SC 5&6 or stick with MP 3A plans?

My daughter is 8 (turns 9 in May) and is technically in 3rd grade, but we are still working through MP 2 (with Traditional Spelling 1). She doesn't have any diagnosed learning disabilities, but was a late reader (finally clicked last year and she's now easily on par with her peers), struggles with writing (mostly fine motor skill related), and has high anxiety if rushed or working with something new. We usually take 1.5 years to complete a full year because of family dynamics (oldest child with medical issues that disrupt continuous learning) and slowing some subjects down to allow time for confidence building. Anyway, I had planned on moving her up to MP 3A when done with MP 2 and adjusting as we have been. However, I received a recent Simply Classical issue and looking at SC 5&6 - it would fit perfectly, perfectly and no adjustments needed, with where she is when MP 2 is complete. Is there any contra-indication to switching to SC 5&6?
    Peace and all good,
    Tricia

2018/2019
    DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
    DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
    DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
    ~ Saint. Padre Pio

I say do it. My traditional learner did 5/6 instead of 3rd this year. It has been marvelous! I would be sure to add the student workbooks for literature. We do Greek Myths and Christian Studies all orally from the teacher guide.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Tricia, as you and Colomama note, "fitting perfectly with no adjustments needed" has many benefits! No adjusting while you teach, lessened anxiety for both of you, and you're still covering the skills and knowledge with depth while tending to everything else in your busy household.

If you were comfortable proceeding with MP 3A, you could feel free to do so. Everything in MP 3-6 is thorough, cohesive, and well-planned. You already know how to adapt. This could be an excellent way to proceed.

However, if you would prefer the pre-adapted pacing, teaching, and other modifications of SC 5&6, you may teach freely and happily from SC 5&6 over the next 1-2 years. I agree with Colomama about adding in the student literature guides, even if you conduct only a portion in writing and the remainder orally.

Comment

Working...
      X