Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Traditional Spelling in Special Needs - more review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Spelling in Special Needs - more review?

HI! I'm doing TS1 with my son. Last year, we did some of Spelling Book 2, but it was a bit of a disaster. (I should have gone down to book 1). I did decide to try TS1 this year and it is going well, actually. He seems to be able to spell the words at the end of the week, but he definitely needs a little more review, in my opinion than the course currently provides. I'm thinking of an additional workbook (I know so many people get overwhelmed at all the workbooks, but this would be beneficial in the SN world) similarly laid out to the LC Latin review worksheets. A portion would simply review previous weeks words (in some scrambled order), but then there could be a portion to just dictate words and sentences from previous weeks (5 a day for words - 1 sentence a day). I was thinking of adding a check box before each lesson to use the review sheets - work for no more than 5 minutes. The problem is the words have similar patterns and so by the end of the week he remembers how to spell them all because of the pattern. Then 2-3 weeks later, he has forgotten, when they are not grouped with similar words.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Are you using the supplemental worksheets book too? You could delay that book a week or two after the lesson for review, maybe?
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      Are you using the supplemental worksheets book too? You could delay that book a week or two after the lesson for review, maybe?
      That's a great idea! (He is doing them, but alongside) Mainly, I would love to see a list of sentences that I could dictate, daily. I can scramble the words with words cards, but coming up with the sentence that contain only the words they know how to spell would be helpful!
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I like Colomama's idea. For now you might also take a highlighter to mark in your Teacher Guide each of the Final Dictation Sentences (one per lesson at the end of each lesson). These dictation sentences contain words they know. If they were highlighted ahead of time, you could flip through quickly to rotate these for use all year. As you progress through the lessons, you could use the earlier sentences less frequently, so he doesn't memorize them.

We may still honor your request within the SC Curriculum Manual! Just checking before we consider adding anything: Are you currently using all of these?

- TS I as written with sound dictation
        - TS I Supplemental Worksheets
        - TS I Practice Sheets

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
          Thank you for mentioning this, Michelle. I ordered early last year and didn't realize this was added later. Definitely need to order it for C!
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
          MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
          MPOA: High School Comp. II
          HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
          MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
          MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
          HSC: Modern European History

DS12
          7M with:
          Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
          SC Level 4

DD9
          3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
          Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
          SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
            I like Colomama's idea. For now you might also take a highlighter to mark in your Teacher Guide each of the Final Dictation Sentences (one per lesson at the end of each lesson). These dictation sentences contain words they know. If they were highlighted ahead of time, you could flip through quickly to rotate these for use all year. As you progress through the lessons, you could use the earlier sentences less frequently, so he doesn't memorize them.

We may still honor your request within the SC Curriculum Manual! Just checking before we consider adding anything: Are you currently using all of these?

- TS I as written with sound dictation
            - TS I Supplemental Worksheets
            - TS I Practice Sheets
            We are using everything but the practice pages. So, I think we'll start there. I do think some dictation sentences, as done in SC2 might be helpful to add to the lesson plan. ..Do the SC4 TS spelling plans look the same now as the MP1 plans? I ask because currently on the webpage they do not, but I wasn't sure if that got updated or not? Let me use the practice sheets for the next few weeks and see if that alone doesn't help. I wonder if scheduling those in the rear, rather than concurrently might be better in the SN track. We'll do it for a few weeks and I'll get back to you! (this does still require me to periodically give him an "assessment" - or dictation of previous words. It would still be nice to have this scheduled in my manual!
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Currently the SC plans are these:

Mon - Day One
              Tues - Day Two
              Wed - Day Three
              Thurs - Day Four
              Fri - Day Five, Purple Word Trace

As always, your suggestions are good suggestions, Christine. We will begin work on updating the plans and scheduling those Dictation Sentences, just as we do in SC 2! Thank you.

Comment

Adding these notes:

1. The SC 4 Curriculum Manual has plenty of space for us to schedule these directly into the lessons. This is always my preference, rather than adding an extra workbook, so we will begin by adding a checkbox for Review & Dictation into the CM.

2. Currently our TS I Practice Sheets are scheduled *way* in the rear, in the 8-week extension!

We'll take a closer look at all of this and at the Supplemental Worksheets. We will make the new plans available asap.

Thanks again!

Comment

Adding these notes:

1. The SC 4 Curriculum Manual has plenty of space for us to schedule these directly into the lessons. This is always my preference, rather than adding an extra workbook, so we will begin by adding a checkbox for Review & Dictation into the CM.

2. Currently our TS I Practice Sheets are scheduled *way* in the rear, in the 8-week extension!

We'll take a closer look at all of this and at the Supplemental Worksheets. We will make the new plans available asap.

Thanks again!
                  Yes, I just noticed that SC4 never added the Supplemental Worksheets to the core when they were added to MP1.
                  *editing to add that SC5/6 has a similar question from me. In 5/6 the Supplemental Worksheets were not included in the core either. The lesson plan also only says "Do Day 1 TS2, etc. No mention of the Practice Sheets, though they are included. (I'm guessing those are in the back - not next to it at the moment)
                  Last edited by howiecram; 01-22-2020, 12:58 PM.
                  Christine

(2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

You are correct. We will be looking at all of this for both SC 4 and SC 5&6, not only Supplemental Worksheets and Practice Sheets, but also Dictation Sentences. Thanks, Christine!

Comment

Piggy-backing on Christine's questions: I'm getting ready to make word cards from previous lessons so we can review them (we do the color-coded lesson presentation from the back of the book instead of with the sentence strips). Would it also be beneficial to make review cards for the phonics rules he has learned in TSI? I'm wondering if this would help him transfer to his other work? We're working one-on-one for anything that requires writing/spelling so we can do the discuss/write/copy method, but his weekly faith formation class at church involves writing as well; so he's practicing incorrect spelling there every week.
                      Jennifer
                      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
                      MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
                      MPOA: High School Comp. II
                      HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
                      MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
                      MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
                      HSC: Modern European History

DS12
                      7M with:
                      Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
                      SC Level 4

DD9
                      3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
                      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                      SC Level C

Comment

Yes, this is an excellent idea, Jennifer. In addition to phonetic words, I would include "common words" such as our Words to Know from Simply Classical Spelling One and Two. Any cycled review, whether on a flip chart, on cards, or in games will be helpful for SC students!

Comment

Looking closely at these additional items this evening, I remember why we did not add these MP resources as soon as they became available: We wondered whether this might be too much writing within Spelling time for SC students in SC 4 and SC 5&6.

However, thanks to everyone's input here today and elsewhere, we see the need. We can adapt instructions to avoid too much writing and still benefit from the goodness within these resources. We'll share when all of this is available.

Comment

Looking closely at these additional items this evening, I remember why we did not add these MP resources as soon as they became available: We wondered whether this might be too much writing within Spelling time for SC students in SC 4 and SC 5&6.

However, thanks to everyone's input here today and elsewhere, we see the need. We can adapt instructions to avoid too much writing and still benefit from the goodness within these resources. We'll share when all of this is available.
                            I was just pulling out the MP1 lesson plans. The ones I have are "slightly" older (meaning they don't have the new resources), but I found a WHOLE REVIEW section in the downloads!!! At week 15 there is a "review" section for lessons 2-13...it has the dictation of the words, sounds, etc covered so far. However, I can only find it for lesson 2-13. There is not another one for the rest of the book.
                            Christine

(2019/2020)
                            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Update:

Thanks to your helpful feedback, we have now updated the Curriculum Manuals for SC 4, SC 5&6 One-Year, and SC 5&6 Two-Year to include all of these scheduled for you:

1. New, cumulative Spelling Dictation Sentences (as you find in SC 2*). We placed a list of these Dictation Sentences in the Appendix for easy reference and scheduled them into your planner week by week. I loved this idea. Thank you, Christine.
                              2. TS Spelling Practice Sheets!
                              3. TS Supplemental Workbook & Key!

Instructions for teaching TS I and II in Simply Classical changed slightly as a result of the above. You will find these instructions with your new lesson plans.

Email sales@memoriapress.com to receive updates.

Note: If you have not purchased TS I or II Spelling Practice Sheets or the TS I or TS II Supplemental Workbook & Key and want to teach from these with your new plans, you will need to do so.

All upcoming SC families/schools, whether teaching from the Individual Lesson Plans or the full packages, now benefit from your insights! Thanks, ladies.

*SC 2 Dictation Sentences are also updated to coordinate with the new reader in SC 2 and with each reading each week.
                              Last edited by cherylswope; 01-31-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X