Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SCB "too easy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCB "too easy"

Hello, popping in here again, twice in one day.

Just as a follow-up to my previous post, my 4-year old has indicated to me that his "school" is too easy. He wants to, "get up to 100" (he's very interested in numbers, everywhere and likes to know exactly what things are, enjoys the scientific books with labeling in each picture,etc.).

I have contemplated teaching through the SCB week in 1-2 days with him. I don't want to rush through the curriculum, but I sense he is frustrated with the pace. This is a first, because the pace works well for my oldest son (SC4, 10years old).

Is this a good idea or might there be another approach?

This is all considering that we are able to have a calm and structured homeschool environment for at least part of the day. God willing.
    expat mama south of the border
    DD (14) MP 9 Core, modified, (Greek, Music Theory)
    DS (10) SC4
    DS2 (7) SC1
    DS3 (4) SCB

This is a good "problem" to have. He wants to accelerate!

Yes, you can teach B with a strong 4yo in 1-2 days. The only caution is that some elements are best repeated in smaller doses daily, such as language and manners. If you can offer cumulative daily language and manners lessons, perhaps even providing some of this over the weekends, he may be ready for C very soon!

Comment

Thank you, Cheryl

That's a helpful suggestion I think we can try with my 4-year-old. He has a big procedure coming up this weekend and this may be something to brighten his pre-op!
      expat mama south of the border
      DD (14) MP 9 Core, modified, (Greek, Music Theory)
      DS (10) SC4
      DS2 (7) SC1
      DS3 (4) SCB

Comment

Definitely do as much of SC B as you can. I found that my little guy also wanted to take off and soar (he's super competitive with his older sister, which is hilarious because they're 3 years apart). He liked to do things that made him shine and get that happy admiration of surprising his family with his prowess. I don't know if I could make a generalization, but my kid is keenly aware of what he is NOT able to do, and there are enough of these tasks that it makes for a lot of frustration. So for us, we're over halfway through SC C, and he's orally counting to 116 with few errors. I let him "shine" by succeeding at and surpassing his requirement for counting, of which 50 is the stated goal. In our after school hours, we add and subtract numbers, read the copyright date in the books we read, and sound out regular, phonetic words from left to right in favorite books, and read lists of CVC words, all without that dreaded writing that makes him feel so defeated and "less than." We don't stop doing what the CM recommends, though. We just continue with the program as it's so amazing how much the literature has been priming his mind with good vocabulary and reading comprehension skills.

From time to time we'll pull down those Gail Gibbons science readers (from big sis) in the evenings and go over all the parts or aspects of a favorite animal, weather system, volcano or tornado. He loves reading these books, and I know that all of the work we did in SC B helped with articulation (scripture verse recitation), ear-training for sounds, and a solid base of facts from the general recitation. Since you already have SC1, if he's meeting all of his SC B goals, recitation, etc, then throw in some "big kid" recitation questions from a few years ahead like the planets, some presidents, time and money, etc. I found this did a lot to make him feel like a big kid. I see you have 2 boys. I can only guess how much more competitive the little guy is feeling wanting to do older material like big brother.
        Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
        DD 9-3A
        DS 6-SC C

Comment

Working...
        X