Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Dyslexic brand new to Classical Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andreamichele13
    replied
    CatherineS THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    Yes, thank you Catherine. For a 14yo entering high school this can be an excellent plan!

Some families create a transcript by subject, rather than by year, so then First Form Latin becomes one high school credit under Foreign Language, whether taught over one year or two.

This FFL pacing is our plan for SC 9&10, 11&12 Accelerated.

Leave a comment:

• CatherineS
    replied
    Originally posted by andreamichele13 View Post
    Hello All!
    I'm brand new here and new to Memoria Press, but will be taking the plunge next year with my 3 kiddos. My oldest is in 8th grade and has dyslexia. I'm wondering what you might suggest for him beginning in high school. He does receive private tutoring at a dyslexia center, so he has had concentrated reading instruction, although he is severe, so he struggles quite a bit. They also cover his language arts there. I'm interested in what you might suggest for him in the fall. I was looking at the Simply Classical sets and didn't know if those would be a good fit. He has never had any Latin instruction, so I would need to start at the beginning. I just do not want to overwhelm him. He is very easily frustrated. BUT, I feel like his education up to this point has been lacking, so I want to make these next 4 years strong for him. Much of his lack is due to the fact that we discovered he had dyslexia late in the game. He was in 4th grade and didn't begin receiving concentrated tutoring until around 5th grade. Much of his early years of homeschooling were filled with major frustration on his part and my own. So, I'm looking for any advice and help you can offer! I'm thinking of beginning him with a literature study in January to begin to acclimate him. He is also beginning the Planet Earth study from MP in January for science, so he will at least have our feet wet.
    Welcome to MP, Andrea! I have a 14 year old son with dyslexia, as well as a younger son we suspect has it too. I would recommend starting with First Form Latin, using the DVD instruction and beginning at half pace. My 14 year old is not currently homeschooled, but he attends a classical school that uses MP Latin. He has found Latin to be much easier than English language arts. The spelling and grammar are logical and orderly, and learning Latin roots has helped him with his English spelling.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to!

Leave a comment:

• andreamichele13
    replied
    cherylswope ....Yes! Thanks so much!

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    This will depend on the intensity and effectiveness of his current writing instruction and on his personal stamina. Our students with dyslexia and/or dysgraphia often benefit from as much effective composition instruction in the teen years as they can manage, as few skills are as valuable as the ability to write.

Some families place MP Composition first in the day to prioritize, even if tutoring occurs at other times in the day.

In our family (twins with specific learning disabilities), my primary aim was that both would learn to write, so I would not have deemed it overkill; instead, we tried to teach writing at every opprtunity and from a variety of approaches.

This gave me the flexibility to adapt in other areas like Christian Studies, science, and history, in which they wrote brief reports or discussed orally rather than answer every detailed question in writing.

Does that make sense?

Leave a comment:

• andreamichele13
    replied
    cherylswope ....Thank you, this is very helpful! He has a tutor that works with him in reading, spelling, and writing. He has a scholarship that enables him to have this for 3-4 hours each week, so we would continue that. Would you recommend, then, that I don't use the MP composition, since that would be overkill?

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    Originally posted by andreamichele13 View Post
    Hello All!
    I'm brand new here and new to Memoria Press, but will be taking the plunge next year with my 3 kiddos. My oldest is in 8th grade and has dyslexia. I'm wondering what you might suggest for him beginning in high school. He does receive private tutoring at a dyslexia center, so he has had concentrated reading instruction, although he is severe, so he struggles quite a bit. They also cover his language arts there. I'm interested in what you might suggest for him in the fall. I was looking at the Simply Classical sets and didn't know if those would be a good fit. He has never had any Latin instruction, so I would need to start at the beginning. I just do not want to overwhelm him. He is very easily frustrated. BUT, I feel like his education up to this point has been lacking, so I want to make these next 4 years strong for him. Much of his lack is due to the fact that we discovered he had dyslexia late in the game. He was in 4th grade and didn't begin receiving concentrated tutoring until around 5th grade. Much of his early years of homeschooling were filled with major frustration on his part and my own. So, I'm looking for any advice and help you can offer! I'm thinking of beginning him with a literature study in January to begin to acclimate him. He is also beginning the Planet Earth study from MP in January for science, so he will at least have our feet wet.
    Welcome!

Simply Classical Levels 7 & 8 may release before spring 2020, with SC 9&10, 11&12 to follow. In the meantime, we offer Simply Classical lesson plans for Latina Christiana if you need them.

Has he received any formal testing to determine overall I.Q., strengths/weaknesses, and achievement levels?

Usually we recommend this formula for teens with dyslexia:

1. Therapies

Begin or continue any necessary or prescribed therapies.

2. Adaptations
    Implement these simple adaptations to standard Memoria Press resources:
    a. Use discussion rather than required writing and accept oral responses to questions in the student guides.
    b. Relax the pace as needed to provide additional review before marching on.
    c. Conduct more pre-reading help, such as identifying difficult words to decode or reading comprehension questions ahead of the text.

3. Study Skills
    Teach study skills as its own subject, e.g., learning how to take notes or highlight important information, identify main ideas, and study for tests.

4. Audio Books
    Obtain high quality audio versions of texts too difficult to read, in part to save your voice if you are accustomed to reading for or with him. Encourage him to follow along in the text with the audio version, if that helps him. If he needs to "rewind" any difficult section, he can do so with an audio version.

5. Streamlined Days and Years
    Teach fewer subjects at once.

6. Tutoring
    Identify his weaker academic areas and intensify instruction in them. Usually this includes writing, spelling, and reading. Rather than merely accommodate for these weaker areas, use the advantages of 1:1 instruction within homeschooling (or hire a tutor) to give him the skills and knowledge he will need in these key areas. See Simply Classical resources in writing, spelling, or Latin as needed.

7. Lower Levels
    Use slightly lower levels of Memoria Press materials whenever needed. Do not worry about the "grade" assigned to any given literature selection. Choose below his chronological grade placement to find something he would enjoy, something that piques his interest, and something he will read well. Whatever he needs -- higher science and slightly lower literature, perhaps -- can become his course of study.

8. Gifts
    Identify his true talents, gifts, and interests, whether within academics or in other areas. Encourage, nurture, and support these with time for outside courses, practices, independent study, or all of the above. He will need areas in his young teen life in which he truly shines. Success in *something* will help counter the hard work he will face due to his dyslexia in other things.

If you would like to read more on the topic, see the various comments in this older thread with embedded discussions also linked.
    If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
    Questions on Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, Classical Studies, literature, etc for K-8 students.
    Last edited by cherylswope; 12-20-2019, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• andreamichele13
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    andreamichele13, if you'd like, I can move this thread you've started here on the K-8 board over to the Simply Classical board so you don't have to retype your post
    That would be great, Michael! Thank you!!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    andreamichele13, if you'd like, I can move this thread you've started here on the K-8 board over to the Simply Classical board so you don't have to retype your post

Leave a comment:

• andreamichele13
    replied
    Thank you, Jen!!

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied
    Welcome, Andrea! I would cross-post this to the Simply Classical section of the forum. Even if your son is beyond the currently available levels of SC, I'm sure Cheryl would have great insights for modifying MP for your son. We have special needs here as well, but dyslexia isn't one of them; I know other SC moms have experience with it though!

Leave a comment:

• andreamichele13
    started a topic Dyslexic brand new to Classical Education

Dyslexic brand new to Classical Education

Hello All!

Working...
X