Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

OT Car Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT Car Trip

We are taking a road trip soon. Our son with ASD/ADHD has been having tantrums (of the spectrum variety) that border on violent in the car while we are driving. This includes unbuckling his seatbelt and throwing objects.

He has his noise-reducing headphones, weighted pad, etc. books, audio books, but I must be missing something that will help calm him. I am out if ideas!

Have any of you discovered a calming essential oil, anything (!) that seemed to work in your car for calm?

Thank you in advance.
    expat mama south of the border
    DD (14) MP 9 Core, modified, (Greek, Music Theory)
    DS (10) SC4
    DS2 (7) SC1
    DS3 (4) SCB

We have a rule in our car travels that anything under 5 hours is a media-free zone. For 6+ hrs we take Kindles/iPads with favorite movies or episodes of Nature Cat or the brothers science one from PBs...new ones they haven't seen so it holds their attention. Other trips we've played audiobooks from the Little House series. We recently listened to Little Town on the Prairie. It was interesting for everyone.

I have many friends who leave in the middle of the night to only drive with sleeping kids. I have tried this once to an alert car full of overtired, wide-awake kiddos.

Have you asked your primary caregiver about a light sedative? I don't know how violent I would let my child get before seeking the big guns, especially if you've taken all reasonable precautions.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 9-3A
    DS 6-SC C

Comment

Could he be afraid something bad is going to happen while driving? Or could the motion of the car be making him 1) feel queasy or 2) go into sensory overload? I don’t know how well he can explain what he’s worried about, but if it’s a possibility, asking him what is going through his mind or what he is feeling (avoiding the abstract “why”) might give you some more to go on.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
      MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
      MPOA: High School Comp. II
      HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
      MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
      MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
      HSC: Modern European History

DS12
      7M with:
      Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9
      3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
      SC Level C

Comment

I will try to talk to him today about "why". He's been tantruming like this at home also. We have a big clue as to the "why" and working on that. (Sorry to be vague!)

We have left in the middle of the night for this particular journey before and it worked well. But we didn't have this problem in the car last year.

Our family just went on a short trip for a weekend event my daughter participated in. We drove 30 minute distances to drop her off, back to the host's home, to our friend's etc. I think overstimulation is a big possibility there.

And yes, "big guns"! I have the Bach flower remedies, we control diet, etc. but I feel the need to have something else to ensure the safety of the other children and e and my husband.
        expat mama south of the border
        DD (14) MP 9 Core, modified, (Greek, Music Theory)
        DS (10) SC4
        DS2 (7) SC1
        DS3 (4) SCB

Comment

Hi, Grace. You might ask his doctor whether he thinks it would be warranted to give your son something for the travels, as suggested above. If he says yes, then this combined with leaving at night as you have done successfully in the past, might help keep everyone safe.

Comment

Working...
          X