Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Latin Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Options

Hi! I'm having some trouble deciding what to do with my son. He is 8, but a September 1 birthday and really "just" a 2nd grader. He is keeping up with Farmer Boy, but is a little slow. The 2nd grade early books would probably be a better level for him, but this is working for our family right now. I was surprised at how little modification he needed. He is actually writing in the guide, coming up with very good oral sentences. I do write all the answers we have come up with on the board and then he copies. At the start of the year my daughter and I were waiting for him to finish writing and that took for.ev.er. This has been a good compromise. I do have him reading to me books at a little lower level to help with the fluency, so I'm not terribly concerned about his placement. I will have to figure out what to do with him next year. I think I always imagined he would work with my younger daughter, but at the moment the "jump" in his school work has been a surprisingly good fit. This approach would not have worked with the older daughter and I was anxious about the arrangement with my son, but it seems to be really good for him. I don't imagine I will keep them together for the literature, so one year he may need different books. I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

My "question" now is about latin. In my mind, I had planned to have him "half" do LC with his sister, for the benefit of the co-op. WE were planning the two year pace for LC and I thought he would keep up with the vocabulary this round and then repeat the third year at a one year pace paying more attention to the grammar. However, we have decided to slow the "girls" down and are working at 3 weeks per lesson, instead of 2. The first week we are focusing on the vocabulary and then we are spending 2 weeks on the grammar. We are having to spend a long time just teaching the english grammar to even begin teaching the latin grammar. We are concerned about this. How do other kids just "know" what a direct object is? There isn't any direct teaching about this, but WHAM lesson 3 has them saying latin words using direct objects as if kids already know this??). But, anyway, aside from that problem, it now creates a problem with my son. I suppose he could do the "3 year" pace and then do LC in 1 year as originally planned, making him take LC over 4 years. I just don't know if this is the best path for him. I anticipate that he could, eventually pass his sister up. But at the moment the grammar is definitely beyond him. I could "drop" him down to Prima, but I do like that he can keep up with the recitation and they can do that part together. He does need his whole Latin lesson organized differently than his sister, so I am essentially teaching him alone, after the initial recitation. His writing is much slower, so it's better if I assign him the written work differently, (only section a, etc she can do more at a time) He seems to enjoy doing this with his sister so I hate to say "hey we are going to have you do this and oh by the way there half as many words...........(he has all the words through lesson 3 learned)..
    But
    suggestions???? what would you do? (P.s. - they both have the table blessing memorized and he sung "Christus Vincit" for our choir director at church (he is in the boys' choir)....he's definitely getting something out this!

..and then there is the younger daughter. I just don't want to find myself teaching the same book, but having one in First Form year one, one in year two and one in year 4....that will confuse "ME"! but I can see that happening.....
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

I'm gonna say this because we know each other and you know I love you...honey....breathe. you are planning too far ahead. 4 years? Oy. I would focus on getting through this semester. Then focus on getting through til spring. Then reassess.

Overall, I think you may find that these confusing topics will solidify with time. We are in lesson 5 and I think I just tried to drink from a fire hose. That woman on the DVD is fast. Like holey shamoley fast. Even I can't recite fast enough. Ha!

One thing I have thought of for us is to go at the two year pace for now. My daughter may switch to online lessons next year at the one year pace while my son continue plugging along at two-year pace. They will end up in the same place at years end, but one will quicken her pace next year. But, honestly she needs that two year pace right now and so I too will reassess at the end of the year.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      they both have the table blessing memorized and he sung "Christus Vincit" for our choir director at church (he is in the boys' choir)....he's definitely getting something out this!.
      This is wonderful to hear! I love what you have done with Latin in your home and in your gathering of other children.

Colomama's response made me smile. (I hope you will make it back to Louisville one day, Colomama!) Agreeing -- for most people this would be planning too far ahead, and it might be for you too, Christine; yet I also understand that you want to see what it might look like in the future. You were a professional planner prior to becoming a homeschooler, after all!

Currently your son is a young 8, early second-grade age. He has a history of some sensitivities, sleep difficulties, and more. He is studying from LC and some other upper-level work for familial convenience, and he is doing reasonably well! I think your concern is twofold and understandable:
      - Are you rushing your son by including him now, even though he is doing well now?
      - Is there a good way to avoid setting up yourself to teach early LC, late LC, and FFL all in one house in one year?

Your youngest will be where she will be, so we'll remove her from the equation.

First, a note about the direct object --
      A direct object can be taught simply and concretely:
      Hold a book. With a grand gesture, give him the book. Say, "I gave you … a BOOK." "Book is the object I gave you. Book is the direct object." Hold a notebook. With a grand gesture, give him the notebook. "I gave you ... a NOTEBOOK." "Notebook is the object I gave you. Notebook is the direct object." Hold a pencil. With a grand gesture, give him the pencil. "I gave you … a PENCIL." The direct object is …??? Yes, pencil!

Do this throughout the day. "I'm driving a car. Car is my direct object." When we do something TO something, we have a direct object. When you eat lunch, say, "I'm eating bread. Bread is the direct object of my eating. What are you eating? You're eating peas. Peas are the direct object of your eating."

The nice thing about direct objects is that they're so *direct.* Keep it concrete whenever you can. They can be easier to teach children than we might think. It is still somewhat analytical, so do not expect mastery at this stage. Keep it simple and move on.

Your son --
      I would not move him down to Prima. You're already willing and able to adapt LC for him. This is not only convenient, but he is doing well.

Future --
      I think you'll be able to teach early LC, late LC, and FFL all at the same time if necessary, simply because you will be so familiar with LC by the time your oldest reaches FFL. Bonus: FFL revisits LC! It would be similar to teaching various levels of math. You will know the lower levels of LC very well, so this might not even be confusing to you.

Alternative: Your son might be able to "audit" LC -- or learn in an adapted way -- alongside your older daughter all the way through. With his eagerness and determination, and with your daughter's history of some memory/learning challenges, they might make a great pair! You can see how that goes.

All good problems to have, in the grand scheme. You're doing very well!

Last edited by cherylswope; 10-17-2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
        How do other kids just "know" what a direct object is? There isn't any direct teaching about this, but WHAM lesson 3 has them saying latin words using direct objects as if kids already know this??).
        Good afternoon Christine,

Cheryl and Colomama have already given you excellent pacing and teaching advice. I just want to clarify that the concept of direct objects is formally introduced in Lesson 5, and students will never have to translate a direct object in Latina Christiana. Lesson 3 is merely introducing students to the idea that a Latin noun's spelling will change depending what the noun is doing.

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Very good. Thank you, Michael!

Comment

cherylswope OH thank you for that Direct Object example. That question came up THIS morning and I was trying to puzzle my way around explaining it without getting overly complicated.
            Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
            DS (MP2) - 7/8
            DS (K) - 6
            DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Working...
            X