Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help for my struggling 8th grader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for my struggling 8th grader?

I am in need of recommendations for my 13-year-old son... We just started school for this year 2 weeks ago. This is his first year using MP/classical curriculum. He was a late reader with symptoms of dyslexia, but is now reading pretty close to grade level. He still struggles with spelling/writing (composition) and handwriting. Our initial curriculum that we have started with is Christian Studies IV, Rod and Staff Arithmetic 8, EGR II, Classical Composition Fables, Famous Men of Greece/Horatio at the Bridge, the 8th grade Literature set, First Form Latin, Geography III, and Exploring Planet Earth. I initially also got him Spelling Workout F--- that was a disaster--- he sulks off, fills in the workpages spelling all the words wrong, and acts like he doesn't know how to do half of it :-( so I don't think it's the right fit. That's my first area needing help--- His spelling level has progressed enough as to where I thinkg Traditional Spelling would be too easy but he needs help with harder words. Fables gets lots of groans and sulks too even though he does okay with it (other than spelling and punctuation). Math is fine. Science/Geography are fine, although all the worksheets get lots of sulks and groans. My other problem area is the Latin. For never having studied a foreign language, I think he is getting it and he is able to conjugate the verbs open-book but I gave him the first quiz today and after 30 minutes he handed it back to me with only a few things filled out, and only one correct. Is this acceptable for his first quiz? Do I need to slow it down? Am I too optimistic trying to start with First Form? I am going by the pace in the lesson plans. And what do you do with all the teenage boy sulkiness? Grrrrr!
    Last edited by jerrysgal4ever; 10-12-2019, 01:10 AM.
    Louise
    Clearwater, ID

DD, 6yo, MP1 with R&S 2
    DD, 12yo, SC4 with R&S 4
    DS, 13yo, MP7-8 with FFLatin, EGR 2, CC Fable/Narr, 7th gr Christian/Classical, 8th gr Science/Geog/Lit, R&S 8, Spelling WO F (My 8th Grade Curriculum Guide is a MESS!)
    DS, 33yo, SC2- dev.delay/autism- wants to learn so we shall!

Just wanted to send you some hugs --- I have some thoughts (one of my sons has dyslexia and dysgraphia), but will have to come back later to share. I know that some of our other mommas will chime in too.
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Hi, Louise.

First, let me say publicly that I love your use of SC 2 for your 33yo adult son! As a mom of twin young adults with special needs, this warms my heart.

Second, your 13yo's workload is heavy. This is his first year with MP. Even neurotypical students often find the coursework more challenging than they expected. With symptoms of dyslexia and difficulties in written expression (including spelling and composition), entering at MP 8 is even more daunting! You have several options:

- Treat this year as two years.
      Divide the coursework into two years in this way:
      1. Teach only math, grammar/composition, and spelling in full lessons each day.
      2. Teach Christian Studies, Latin, and Literature daily but in smaller "half-bites" to span two years.
      3. Teach science, geography, and history (Exploring Planet Earth, Geography, FMOG/Horatius) either as alternating, single-semester courses or daily but spread over two years as with #2 above. You can obtain Individual Lesson Plans by Subject if your Curriculum Guide is no longer recognizable, or simply use the existing checkboxes to remind yourself where you are in each subject.

- Teach as written but allow accommodations.
      1. Teach geography, science, and history orally.
      2. Teach Fable or FFL with the DVD to remove some of the relational angst.
      3. Teach spelling daily but switch to Traditional Spelling II. If he is beyond TS II, switch to SWO D.

- Create your own customizations with a combination of the above.

Others may have more suggestions.

Given his difficulties and your own homeschooling load, give yourself the flexibility to make adjustments. We want his year to be both manageable and successful!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Hi, Louise.

First, let me say publicly that I love your use of SC 2 for your 33yo adult son! As a mom of twin young adults with special needs, this warms my heart.
        Second, your 13yo's workload is heavy. This is his first year with MP. Even neurotypical students often find the coursework more challenging than they expected. With symptoms of dyslexia and difficulties in written expression (including spelling and composition), entering at MP 8 is even more daunting! You have several options:
        - Treat this year as two years.
        Divide the coursework into two years in this way:
        1. Teach only math, grammar/composition, and spelling in full lessons each day.
        2. Teach Christian Studies, Latin, and Literature daily but in smaller "half-bites" to span two years.
        3. Teach science, geography, and history (Exploring Planet Earth, Geography, FMOG/Horatius) either as alternating, single-semester courses or daily but spread over two years as with #2 above. You can obtain Individual Lesson Plans by Subject if your Curriculum Guide is no longer recognizable, or simply use the existing checkboxes to remind yourself where you are in each subject.
        - Teach as written but allow accommodations.
        1. Teach geography, science, and history orally.
        2. Teach Fable or FFL with the DVD to remove some of the relational angst.
        3. Teach spelling daily but switch to Traditional Spelling II. If he is beyond TS II, switch to SWO D.
        - Create your own customizations with a combination of the above.
        Others may have more suggestions.
        Given his difficulties and your own homeschooling load, give yourself the flexibility to make adjustments. We want his year to be both manageable and successful!
        Thanks, Cheryl! These are great ideas! I was focusing too much on checking all the boxes rather than both of our sanities, lol.
        I am going to implement just about all of these ideas starting immediately! Big weight off of both of our shoulders!
        And thanks for the nice words about my older son! He's really enjoying himself! Even all the picture book read-alouds! He eagerly anticipates each little segment of Nate the Great

Louise
        Clearwater, ID

DD, 6yo, MP1 with R&S 2
        DD, 12yo, SC4 with R&S 4
        DS, 13yo, MP7-8 with FFLatin, EGR 2, CC Fable/Narr, 7th gr Christian/Classical, 8th gr Science/Geog/Lit, R&S 8, Spelling WO F (My 8th Grade Curriculum Guide is a MESS!)
        DS, 33yo, SC2- dev.delay/autism- wants to learn so we shall!

Comment

Working...
        X