Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

DD8 now using SC 2 + interesting chart pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DD8 now using SC 2 + interesting chart pockets

I have always lurked around the SC part of the MP forum because my middle guy is a very lovable Aspie with some lingering sensory/self-soothing behaviors. He uses the MP 7th core and is great with schoolwork. Sometimes I just glean information about behaviors without you even knowing it. (Thank you so much!)

I didn't know about SC when my son was young and, by the time we came to MP when he was in 2nd grade, we didn't need it. In fact, I always wished I'd had SC but was relieved that I no longer had a need for it - does that make sense? :-)

Weellll...now I do need it. My dd8 has always disliked school. She is a bubbly, sweet, adorable, very short and rather immature little thing who has an impressive vocabulary. Because she is small for her age, we forget how old she is. It hit me this year, when still struggling to get beyond the 5th week of MP first grade, that something is up. I made all sorts of excuses for her. I held her back in K because she just wasn't ready. It took over a year to get through those first weeks of 1st grade because, I assumed, we'd had so much going on medically with her older sister. She isn't reading well because she just "isn't a reader". She still can't swim after years of lessons and daily exposure to our pool because she just "isn't a swimmer". She can't do mental math because she's "not a math person"....and on and on.

Except she draws beautifully and comes up with beautiful crafts. She has a voracious appetite for audiobooks and loves to be read to. She has a memory like an elephant. The kid is so smart that she had built an intricate system of defense mechanisms that made me believe she could do these things but just didn't want to.

After a long conversation with Cheryl, we figured out that dd cannot distinguish between a request and a directive, she "reads" based on memorized whole words and context clues and spelling just confounds her. She needs manipulatives or numbers in front of her to do math problems. She tries to fall back on memorization or guessing rather than decoding words phonetically. We also have to keep up our daily calendar chart to help her remember days/months/seasons.

MP placement put her in SC 2 where, after 4 weeks, she is *thriving*. She looks forward to school each day! She is acing her spelling tests! She still transposes letters and numbers and she still struggles with spacing, but that will come. We also work on question vs. statement every. single. day. We also work on listening and following step-by-step directions, as well as right/left orientation. (This is why she can't swim! She couldn't organize all of the directions we were giving her and she had no idea how to orient herself. She is now even doing better in the pool!)

So. I have her out in the kitchen with me while the big kids work on their solo schoolwork back in our homeschooling room. Except I have no place to hang a pocket chart for things like math or spelling word flashcards. Forgive me if you know this already - I found a folding tabletop pocket chart that works very well for flashcards and the 3x5 cards I made for spelling words. I bought my flashcards before MP came out with theirs (I am not a fan of the R&S flashcards - just too big.) I love them, so I'm going to stick with them. Those are what you see in the photo. I have also been using this for flashcard games (the disappearing game) and to display sentences for her picture descriptions.
    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Of course, my pictures didn't come through. Grrr...
    Attached Files
    Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Nice job!

Sometimes we feel like, "Can't we just catch a break?" Right? But remember that God gave us these precious children for a reason. Kuddos to you for digging deep and realizing there was something more....and following that mama instinct.

Glad to hear she (and you) are thriving with your new direction.
      Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
      DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
      DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Thank you, Mary, for sharing the useful visuals and for sharing this update! Good to hear --

...in SC 2 where, after 4 weeks, she is *thriving*.

Comment

Mary, this is encouraging! I’m in a similar place with my 7 year old, switching to SC after a couple years of hoping he could make it in the classic cores. I’ll post about that later, but wondering where did you find the chart? That might work well here too.
          Thanks!
          Catherine

2019-20
          DS16, 10th
          DS13, 7th
          DS11, 6th
          DD11, 6th
          DS7, 1st
          DD4, JrK
          DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
          2 in classical school

Comment

Originally posted by CatherineS View Post
            Mary, this is encouraging! I’m in a similar place with my 7 year old, switching to SC after a couple years of hoping he could make it in the classic cores. I’ll post about that later, but wondering where did you find the chart? That might work well here too.
            Thanks!
            Ack! Sorry, Catherine! I got it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/VNOM-Tabletop...2&sr=8-1-fkmr0

There is another similar chart, for a dollar more, that comes with dry erase inserts. I didn't get that one because I have a dry erase board; however, I can see where those might come in handy.

Also, I have a couple of other items that have proven super handy:

This will hold all of the phonics flashcards AND has a sturdy lock so that you don't find yourself picking up and organizing scattered flashcards...*weary laugh* https://www.amazon.com/VINEALLEY-Han...120582&sr=8-29

It also matches this little shelf I got, which holds all of the SC2 read-alouds and supplemental books on top and all of the workbook, texts, folded table pocket chart, and a three-ring binder full of math worksheets on the bottom:
            https://www.amazon.com/Winsome-Wood-...0120690&sr=8-2

I already owned a set of phonics flashcards, which I laminated and spread out over several binder rings. However, sometimes I like to have words or consonant teams up in the pocket chart for easy viewing during a lesson, so I splurged on a second set and now use them along with that tabletop chart. Also, I had purchased flashcards prior to switching to SC 2 - this was before MP came out with their set. I happen to like the set I got because they are a good size, have both the digit + zero/zero + digit cards for fact family setup, and fit perfectly within the table pocket chart. Bonus! They also come hole-punched and with handy binder ring! (I do not know the size of the MP set - they may work just as well.)
            https://www.amazon.com/Star-Right-Ed...120868&sr=8-13
            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Also, the reason she is in the kitchen with me (leaving me scrambling to find a storage unit that didn't scream KIDS or SCHOOL and would fit nicely into a corner) is because she has serious attention issues, as well as some problems with self-control. It is soothing for her to be with me in a room that is not lined with book- and toy- and sewing-shelves and the noises and movements of two siblings in there doing homework. It has been like a balm on her soul to have her lessons with Mom, then to have the audio cue from the weekly musical selection to begin her homework. The music also seems to help keep her focused...with the exception of "Noye's Fludde". She immediately clapped her hands over her ears and wailed, "MOMMY! NO WORDS! I can't do work when music has WORDS!". Lesson learned.
              We just skipped back to last week's piece. *cracks up laughing*
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Thanks for the links. I sometimes dream that my DH could sew one for me, but usually it's the same amount in material to just buy it from abroad.

I totally understand the kitchen table set up. I know one day my little guy will ask why he doesn't get to use our amazing homeschool room, but so far he needs to be away from his sister because he gets embarrassed when he can't assimilate a skill quickly. However, today he sat in with us during a math review and answered how many hours were in a day (from his own Recitation). His sister, who needed to pause and think about it was stunned he knew the answer before she did! SC is so stinking awesome! My whole family finds joy in hearing my little guy pipe up with actual knowledge.

Kuddos to you for reaching out to experts to better address her needs through SC!
                Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
                DD 8-3A
                DS 5-SC C

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                  Also, the reason she is in the kitchen with me (leaving me scrambling to find a storage unit that didn't scream KIDS or SCHOOL and would fit nicely into a corner) is because she has serious attention issues, as well as some problems with self-control. It is soothing for her to be with me in a room that is not lined with book- and toy- and sewing-shelves and the noises and movements of two siblings in there doing homework. It has been like a balm on her soul to have her lessons with Mom, then to have the audio cue from the weekly musical selection to begin her homework. The music also seems to help keep her focused...with the exception of "Noye's Fludde". She immediately clapped her hands over her ears and wailed, "MOMMY! NO WORDS! I can't do work when music has WORDS!". Lesson learned.
                  We just skipped back to last week's piece. *cracks up laughing*
                  Nice! Thanks for all the links. I am still trying to figure out where exactly to school my 7 year old. We just moved to a new home, and one among many reasons was to be able to have a lot more room to homeschool. My 16 yr old with autism was incredibly distracted last year when my 6 year old entered our homeschool full-time and was clearly struggling with the MPK materials. I need to keep them far apart so will probably be in the kitchen too and just have not yet figured out storage in the new house. I also need places to store all the manipulatives like letter magnets, playdoh, wikki sticks. Anyway thanks for the good ideas!

You mentioned your daughter is small--can she write well sitting at the kitchen table, or do you have a child's desk for her?
                  Catherine

2019-20
                  DS16, 10th
                  DS13, 7th
                  DS11, 6th
                  DD11, 6th
                  DS7, 1st
                  DD4, JrK
                  DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
                  2 in classical school

Comment

As far as "desks" for younger ones, we have gotten so much use out of our Stokke Tripp Trapp. It's often sold as a high chair, but it can grow to adulthood up to 250+ lbs. My husband has sat on the kids' chairs and never harmed them. It has almost infinitely adjustable chair and foot heights so kids can get that calming 90-degree angle on the legs. Because their feet sit flat on the base, children have an easier time sitting still. I like that it can be used at a variety of table tops, although I've never tried it at barstool height.

Both of my kids have the Tripp Trapp and still enjoy them as their work chairs. They were also gifts from a kind family member. I know not everyone can stomach a $200 kids' chair. We like that they look nice at the kitchen table or our IKEA work table.

Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
                    DD 8-3A
                    DS 5-SC C

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                      As far as "desks" for younger ones, we have gotten so much use out of our Stokke Tripp Trapp. It's often sold as a high chair, but it can grow to adulthood up to 250+ lbs. My husband has sat on the kids' chairs and never harmed them. It has almost infinitely adjustable chair and foot heights so kids can get that calming 90-degree angle on the legs. Because their feet sit flat on the base, children have an easier time sitting still. I like that it can be used at a variety of table tops, although I've never tried it at barstool height.

Both of my kids have the Tripp Trapp and still enjoy them as their work chairs. They were also gifts from a kind family member. I know not everyone can stomach a $200 kids' chair. We like that they look nice at the kitchen table or our IKEA work table.
                      Those are nice chairs. We have a child size desk, but my 7 year old has outgrown it, and I need to be able to sit beside him anyway. I may use a step stool to rest his feet on so he can sit at the kitchen table.
                      Thanks!
                      Catherine

2019-20
                      DS16, 10th
                      DS13, 7th
                      DS11, 6th
                      DD11, 6th
                      DS7, 1st
                      DD4, JrK
                      DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
                      2 in classical school

Comment

Sorry, CatherineS ! I got so caught up in reading about what was the chair of my dreams (the Stokke) back when my kids were all little that I forgot to answer you. :-)

DD has a small KidKraft table and chairs in her bedroom, where she sits happily for hours doing all sorts of crafts. At school time, she sits at the kitchen table in a Toosh Coosh booster seat...one she's had for several years. She still sits in a full-back booster seat in the car because the belt cuts into her neck. E is just a shorty - much like her sister (which makes my 5'7" 12-year-old DS appear even more freakishly tall than he already is - ha!).

Had I known that my girls would be short (nearly 15-year-old DD stands at barely 5 feet and has for 2 years now), I would have invested in a Stokke chair. Amoritized over all this time, our cost would have been mere fractions of pennies per day. *weary laugh*
                        Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
                        X