Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

New beginner - I need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New beginner - I need some help

Hi all, my daughter has autism and she is 4. According to the evaluation, she is only 2.5 developmentally. So I am using SC Level A now. Since the curriculum does not require full day, she is still attending public preschool for special education. Our school district is good and I do see a lot of progress on her. To be honest, I don't have enough courage to pull her out of public school now as I am totally unequipped. During the summer when there is no school, I struggled so much every day to keep doing schooling at home. She is delayed in every aspects except motor skills, and she sometimes throws tantrum - screaming, falling on her knees, etc.. My plan is now to go back to school to get a master degree in Applied Behavioral Analysis, to finish the fieldwork, and then to sit for the exam and get the BCBA certificate while she stays in public school for several years. Then when I am equipped with knowledge and skills, I will be ready to pull her out of public school. I searched for private Classical Christian schools as well. However I could hardly find any private schools which accept autistic kids. And there is simply no classical christian school in my state...Do you have any thoughts? Any suggestions or insights?

Cheryl Swope has an incredible book about her journey where she did exactly what you are describing, but the degree didn't have the outcome she was expecting. She really is a subject matter expert here and I learned a great deal from her.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...econd-edition/

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
    DS (MP2) - 7/8
    DS (K) - 6
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Welcome! My motto was that whenever I found someone who could achieve more with my child than I could, I would defer to that other person.

Currently your daughter is making progress in her program at school. You can learn from the current program, as well as from your planned advanced studies, to implement similar techniques. You might find helpful in-person parenting courses at the school or through your local regional center. Whether you homeschool or not, you will want to learn how to approach your daughter with a capable blend of nurture, structure, predictability, and support.

If you want to "afterschool" her, choose the most successful aspects of SC A and continue those. Then simply proceed to SC Level B. You may choose only your most desired components. Be sure to choose Manners from SC B as one of your daily afterschool teachings.

Others may have additional thoughts. We are happy to have you here!

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

Cheryl Swope has an incredible book about her journey where she did exactly what you are describing, but the degree didn't have the outcome she was expecting. She really is a subject matter expert here and I learned a great deal from her.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...econd-edition/
        Thank you, Melissa. You and I were writing at the same time this morning!

Comment

We walked away from ABA as an educational philosophy, but we enjoyed the years of encouragement I needed to stick to consistent boundaries and routines. I have way more mommy friends with kids on the spectrum who put their kids in school rather than have them home, so you are not alone. All kids are different, so no one can judge you for the choices you make. Some mommies use that time away to recharge their batteries for the evening hours.

But if you wanted first hand encouragement that it's possible not only to experience joy but also success, I can give you that. The approach MP takes is cohesive, incremental, and inspiring. I have watched my son explode in his language and ability to recognize symbols. He is finally able to sit for books because the language he is hearing has meaning. There is a lot of explicit overteaching of rudimentary concepts through Recitation, memory verses and poetry memorization. I like to say that Recitation became the low-stakes foot in the door for language for my son. After years and years of therapy (including up to 25 hrs a week of ABA), we left it all, even speech and OT. This isn't for everyone, but it eventually became unnecessary. His annual SP and OT evals have him on par with his NT peers. We couldn't be happier.

I could speak at length on how SC B and C have been a blessing to our family. My family is literally incredulous at how much progress he has made. Feel free to PM me at any time if you have more specific questions.
          Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
          DD 8-3A
          DS 5-SC C

Comment

Thank you all so much for reply! Very encouraging! I will keep experimenting!

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
              We walked away from ABA as an educational philosophy, but we enjoyed the years of encouragement I needed to stick to consistent boundaries and routines. I have way more mommy friends with kids on the spectrum who put their kids in school rather than have them home, so you are not alone. All kids are different, so no one can judge you for the choices you make. Some mommies use that time away to recharge their batteries for the evening hours.

But if you wanted first hand encouragement that it's possible not only to experience joy but also success, I can give you that. The approach MP takes is cohesive, incremental, and inspiring. I have watched my son explode in his language and ability to recognize symbols. He is finally able to sit for books because the language he is hearing has meaning. There is a lot of explicit overteaching of rudimentary concepts through Recitation, memory verses and poetry memorization. I like to say that Recitation became the low-stakes foot in the door for language for my son. After years and years of therapy (including up to 25 hrs a week of ABA), we left it all, even speech and OT. This isn't for everyone, but it eventually became unnecessary. His annual SP and OT evals have him on par with his NT peers. We couldn't be happier.

I could speak at length on how SC B and C have been a blessing to our family. My family is literally incredulous at how much progress he has made. Feel free to PM me at any time if you have more specific questions.
              Hi, thank you so much for sharing! This is very encouraging! How can I PM you BTW lol?

Comment

Click on my name in red. My page will have a bar that says "private message" under it. Click on that, type the message in the box and send it.
                Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
                DD 8-3A
                DS 5-SC C

Comment

My son was a nonverbal autistic guy who also went to a full-day ABA program from the time he was 2 until he was 5. Much as enbateau described, we liked the ABA approach when he was nonverbal/deep in the throes of the spectrum, but we began to phase it out as he became more verbal and his behaviors began to improve.

While I think it is commendable that you want to go for your BCBA certification, I do not think it is necessary. You need to work specifically with your daughter and that is something that does not require any sort of certification. :-)

The biggest thing that worked to our advantage was constant communication with our son's school program. We learned sign language, the therapists taught me how to use certain techniques and principles at home and they showed me how they dealt with behavior issues. I used the same words they did. I employed the same calming techniques and enforced the same schedule. I made a set of picture cards to have at home and we had picture "lists" everywhere as visual cues to remind him of what to do. Even down to photos of outfits, giving him "choices" (showing two pictures and having him choose one in order to get dressed each day), we ran our home much the same way his days were organized at his autism center. It helped *so much* with continuity and his tantrums, head banging and other behaviors gradually began to decrease because he had clear, consistent expectations both at home and at school. This really helped as we transitioned him from the school environment to the home environment.

It is a lot of work, but it is work worth doing. I wholeheartedly agree that in your spare time, you should absolutely read Cheryl's book. Additionally, I would strongly suggest you talk with the teachers and therapists at his school to learn what they are doing with your daughter on a daily basis to try to incorporate some of what they do in your home. Even if you end up keeping your daughter in school, it will really help you to have some continuity in your home - it will be soothing and reassuring for her and will boost your confidence. <3

Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                  DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                  DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
                  X