Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Rod and Staff Placement Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod and Staff Placement Help

I am new to MP/SC, planning and ordering for 4 of my kids, 2 of them using SC. My 12-year-old placed in SC4 in all areas except for math. Last year she worked almost all the way through Math-U-See Gamma and about halfway through Delta until the problems got hard and she got lost. I am liking the look of Rod and Staff but not sure where to place her. The SC lesson plans only cover up to the R&S Arithmetic 3 and I can't find enough of a sample to decide if that would be too easy or not. If she needs Arithmetic 4 do I just use the regular MP lesson plans? (Or do I just use Rightstart E like I originally was going to do--- I am just afraid that she will max out halfway through like she did with MUS...)
    Louise
    Clearwater, ID

DD, 6yo, MP1 with R&S 2
    DD, 12yo, SC4 with R&S 4
    DS, 13yo, MP7-8 with FFLatin, EGR 2, CC Fable/Narr, 7th gr Christian/Classical, 8th gr Science/Geog/Lit, R&S 8, Spelling WO F (My 8th Grade Curriculum Guide is a MESS!)
    DS, 33yo, SC2- dev.delay/autism- wants to learn so we shall!

I would follow the SC math 3 plans included in level 5/6. You have two options, one year and two year pace.

It will review addition and subtraction for first 2 months and then move into multiplication and end with basic division.

If you've done gamma, I would do one year pace. Make sure you're following the teacher manual, it will have you teach concepts for several days before they appear on the child's work pages.

But ignore that teacher manual when it says to write on a separate sheet. MP encourages users go write directly in the textbook.

Be prepared, your child might screech at the number of problems in R&S. Lots of options here, enforce doing every problem, do every other one, work directly with your student...they write an answer and you write the next one, or something else. But there are definitely more problems in the page.
    ​​​​​​
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Well--- I decided to order the R&S 4th grade level for her and I got the MP lesson plans. Hoping I made the right decision. Not enough online samples to know for sure. Some of it will be a review but not a bad idea after summer break.
      Louise
      Clearwater, ID

DD, 6yo, MP1 with R&S 2
      DD, 12yo, SC4 with R&S 4
      DS, 13yo, MP7-8 with FFLatin, EGR 2, CC Fable/Narr, 7th gr Christian/Classical, 8th gr Science/Geog/Lit, R&S 8, Spelling WO F (My 8th Grade Curriculum Guide is a MESS!)

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysgal4ever View Post
        Well--- I decided to order the R&S 4th grade level for her and I got the MP lesson plans. Hoping I made the right decision. Not enough online samples to know for sure. Some of it will be a review but not a bad idea after summer break.
        I'm not sure if this is helpful or if it is what you are looking for, but I will mention that Milestone books has sample pages of R&S materials. Here is a link to the grade 3 R&S math materials.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/..._Living_Series

Monica

Comment

Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post

I'm not sure if this is helpful or if it is what you are looking for, but I will mention that Milestone books has sample pages of R&S materials. Here is a link to the grade 3 R&S math materials.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/..._Living_Series

Monica
          Thanks Monica! I did see the sample of 2, 3 and 4. She already knows multiple digit multiplication and some of long division so 2 and 3 looked too easy. On their placement test, she places in level 4. There may be a few gaps we have to fill in because Math-U-See has such a different path but I didn't want to push her backwards. Math seems to be her strongest area.
          Louise
          Clearwater, ID

DD, 6yo, MP1 with R&S 2
          DD, 12yo, SC4 with R&S 4

Comment

Working...
          X