Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Quizzes pdf in SC 5/6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quizzes pdf in SC 5/6

I had to photocopy the weekly Latin quiz from the back of the teacher guide today. Should I have received a pdf of that in my downloads? It would make life so much easier!

Note: I looked through my Curriculum Guide appendix, my download pdfs (including one titled quizzes and tests) included with my SC 5/6 order and my box of books thinking it might be a hardcopy before finally finding it in the back of my teacher manual for the course. Maybe a note in the schedule with where to find the various components the first time that they are referenced would be a nice one-line addition to SC 7/8.

I also don't have a pdf of any Pacific, Southern, or Mountain states in my downloads; I have all of the other regions for States and Capitals though.
    Last edited by Colomama; 08-26-2019, 05:36 PM.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Good evening Michelle,

A PDF of the Latina Christiana quizzes does come with the purchase of the Latina Christiana Teacher Manual. Similarly, a PDF of the States & Capitals quizzes* comes with the States & Capitals Teacher Guide. If either or both are missing, please email sales@memoriapress.com with your account email and/or order number(s) and we can add those downloads to your account.

HTH!

*If you only have downloads of some of the regions, are you perhaps looking at the reviews included in the SC 5 & 6 Reviews & Tests? I believe those reviews are a unique SC addition in the two-year pace, but I'm not sure, so I will let Cheryl Swope further explain them and stop typing before I post any misinformation!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

I received my LC1 teacher guide by attending Sodalitas pre-conference track. Does that count for pdf's?

My map templates are included in my SC download set, like you're describing. I just thought it odd that not all regions were included. But maybe not all regions are covered in 5/6? I have both the one-year and two-year pace guides, so I would think I would've received it unless it stretches into 7/8.

Thanks!

DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)

We've completed:

Comment

Thanks, Colomama. If you were confused, others will be too. We will add notes about this.

You are correct. In SC 7&8 we will study United States (review), so U.S. maps & regions will be reviewed further along with world geography Geography I.

A few notes directly from the formatter:
        • The reason only 4 regions have reviews is because those are the ones learned in Level 5. In Level 6 we review those again and then move on to the new regions.
        • We can give her access to the LC Quizzes & Tests as a pdf if she sends sales@memoriapress.com an email.
        • Whenever a Q&T or Review is found in the Simply Classical Reviews & Tests Curriculum Manual, then it is specifically referenced. If it is not referenced, then it is found somewhere else, typically in the teacher manual of the specific subject (like Latin or Literature guides).
        Does that make sense? If we're still missing something, please let us know.

Comment

So, as a purchaser of the one year pace of 5/6 I should have received review maps of all regions, yes?

We've completed:

Comment

No, you're not missing anything. I think this is why it seemed confusing:

Review Maps of ALL regions are already given to you within your States & Capitals book. (For example, see Week 23 and Week 29 of SC 6 for the Rocky Mountain States including Colorado.)

The only reason we give you extra copies of the regions taught in SC 5 is the assumption of a summer break between SC 5 and SC 6. At the beginning of SC 6, those copies become "bonus" review maps for regions taught in SC 5.

Over the course of SC 5&6, each student will review ALL maps and regions within States & Capitals, which is a self-contained program.

Note also that in addition to the review maps in States & Capitals and the bonus review maps within your Levels Five & Six Reviews & Tests, you will go over all of these maps again briefly in United States in SC 7 & 8. Beginning with SC 3, we spend six years truly mastering states, capitals, and US geography.

Does that help?

Comment

Yes. I called and spoke with Shane at the mothership. I think my confusion rested in what should be included with the purchase of the curriculum guide vs. what is included within individual course components like teachers guides.

I was honestly just looking for the easy button. I wanted to open that SC 5/6 download file and push print and just have everything happily print out. But, alas, that's not the case. There are printouts to be found and photocopied in most teachers guides. It's challenging because I don't know I need them until, well, I need them. Then everything stops as I scour around to see where that particular printout is and by the time I return from the printer all of my students have vanished into thin air. Poof.

I decided to print out the map reviews so that we could use them as a weekly review, not just as scheduled as unit reviews. I know that my kids will need more practice with seeing that map, correctly labeling it, and writing the state names and capitals. So, we will use it every time we study a new state. Example, "Label the states you know, now label the new state." Repetition, repetition, repetition. I gave them the week 5 review and my SC son knew where all the states were, yes, but his spelling takes a decoder ring. He knows all of the capitals, but couldn't go from state to capital (he learned them capital to state) so he just left all of that blank.

I am really trying hard at Latin this year as we fell off the Prima wagon after about 10 weeks last year. We're on Lesson 2 of LC. The guide lists "vocabulary drill day one", but for the life of me I can't figure out what that means. I've looked through the front of the my SC guide and my LC teacher manual. The LC teacher manual lists vocabulary review, but its not split out into three separate days, like the schedule says. So do we just re-write the vocabulary section on the photocopy three days in a row? I couldn't figure it out for lesson 1 either and instead just opted for daily flashcard vocabulary review. That worked fine, but again, spelling was horrible and they were totally unprepared for the conjugation table at quiz time.

And we bombed the English Grammar quiz on Friday because I didn't know what to focus on, the recitation of the rules or the dictation of the sentences. They could recite the rules for the oral quiz on Thursday, but couldn't complete the dictation on Friday. My plan is to continue to focus daily on the recitation of the rule and visually review the sentence examples. Thursday will be an oral quiz of the rules. On Friday I have created individual sheets that list the rule up top and then the example sentences down below. The student will then edit the sentence to reflect proper capitalization per the rule. I figure its the best of both worlds, but lessens the spelling load during dictation.

We've completed:

Comment

Attached is a pic of my son's states and capitals review / quiz and his Latina Christiana quiz from lesson 1. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190827_150211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	115818Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190827_150202.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	115819

Also attaching a pic of the grammar quiz I created to lessen the spelling dictation woes.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	15669399450671150885476554189908.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	115820

We've completed:

Comment

In blue below:

There are printouts to be found and photocopied in most teachers guides. It's challenging because I don't know I need them until, well, I need them. Then everything stops as I scour around to see where that particular printout is and by the time I return from the printer all of my students have vanished into thin air. Poof.

Yes, this may require time ahead in preparation. I could never "fumble" either, or attention slipped away! You might need a three-ring binder, discbound system, or an accordion file by week.

I decided to print out the map reviews so that we could use them as a weekly review, not just as scheduled as unit reviews. I know that my kids will need more practice with seeing that map, correctly labeling it, and writing the state names and capitals. So, we will use it every time we study a new state. Example, "Label the states you know, now label the new state." Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Great idea.

I gave them the week 5 review and my SC son knew where all the states were, yes, but his spelling takes a decoder ring. He knows all of the capitals, but couldn't go from state to capital (he learned them capital to state) so he just left all of that blank.

Interesting! (Making mental note to add practice of capital to state in SC 3 and 4.) The good news is that such practice, as with Latin to English and back again, works the flexible thinking our students with autism need.

Spelling -- I would have no problem with posting a word bank on the board. Again you are working other skills by doing so, such as far-point copying, visual memory, working memory, and attention to detail. My children studied states at the same age as your son and spelled very similarly. My favorite of his is "New Hampsher." When you post your word bank, you can do a quick pronunciation review, phonics lesson, and syllabication lesson to create a word study if time permits.

I am really trying hard at Latin this year as we fell off the Prima wagon after about 10 weeks last year. We're on Lesson 2 of LC. The guide lists "vocabulary drill day one", but for the life of me I can't figure out what that means. I've looked through the front of the my SC guide and my LC teacher manual. The LC teacher manual lists vocabulary review, but its not split out into three separate days, like the schedule says. So do we just re-write the vocabulary section on the photocopy three days in a row? I couldn't figure it out for lesson 1 either and instead just opted for daily flashcard vocabulary review. That worked fine, but again, spelling was horrible and they were totally unprepared for the conjugation table at quiz time.

Yes, look on p. 5 of your LC Teacher Manual. Note that the Vocabulary Drill is "preferably three separate days." If this is too much, reduce to two and conduct the third orally. When I taught LC, I did not require this writing from memory, largely due to the spelling! Copying directly from the book (near-point copying) accomplishes the intent of seeing, writing, remembering both the spelling and meaning of each word.

Decide how often you want the Vocab & Grammar to be written. Then make copies accordingly. Now that you have taught a lesson, you may have a better feel for the maximum realistic writing.

Each of my children had a three-ring binder with Vocab Drills and Grammar Drill Sheets with name and date at the top. I let them decorate the side of the binder with stickers to spell "Latin". We wrote three times a week. I found the repeated writing helpful for memorizing. I allowed them to copy from the book or the board to ensure correct spelling.

Side note: You may want similar binders for those US Maps.

And we bombed the English Grammar quiz on Friday because I didn't know what to focus on, the recitation of the rules or the dictation of the sentences. They could recite the rules for the oral quiz on Thursday, but couldn't complete the dictation on Friday. My plan is to continue to focus daily on the recitation of the rule and visually review the sentence examples. Thursday will be an oral quiz of the rules. On Friday I have created individual sheets that list the rule up top and then the example sentences down below. The student will then edit the sentence to reflect proper capitalization per the rule. I figure its the best of both worlds, but lessens the spelling load during dictation.

Excellent adaptations.

This year Mom's learning curve may be higher than the students' learning curve at first, but you'll figure it out. Get those binders and a ream of paper, set aside a few afternoons or evenings with the guides and your printer, and prepare away!

The good news -- and one of my favorite parts of teaching from MP materials -- is that everything will be taught all year in a predictable format, so when you learn the system you will be all set.

Comment

I made the review box, sorted flashcards by subject, for now. I printed every thing in the downloads. I put in a binder. The Latin vocabulary/grammar drill boxes I printed 3 per week of each and put in a cheap folder with brads.
                    Attached Files
                    Christine

(2019/2020)
                    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Also check out this thread https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-helpful-hacks Jen in Japan (but no longer in Japan) talks about making multiple maps like you describe!
                      Christine

(2019/2020)
                      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I had printed the maps and put them into a binder...that's how I realized I didn't have all the different regions. I have since printed out the other regions.

Christine, I like the color coded review box.

With LC, my plan was to put the printout in a page protector so I wouldn't have to use a whole ream of paper. Is this doable?

We've completed:

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                          I had printed the maps and put them into a binder...that's how I realized I didn't have all the different regions. I have since printed out the other regions.

Christine, I like the color coded review box.

With LC, my plan was to put the printout in a page protector so I wouldn't have to use a whole ream of paper. Is this doable?
                          You could do that, but I had read somewhere, that if they are bound like this they act as another means to review for the child. (I also printed on both sides of the paper)
                          Last edited by howiecram; 08-27-2019, 10:04 PM.
                          Christine

(2019/2020)
                          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Mkay, so I printed out all of my newly found things, LC vocab and grammar forms and maps. Yay!

Can someone explain the reasoning behind doing 3 days of vocab and then 3 days of grammar forms? There must be some methodology behind this, there always Is with MP. But, why not do one day of vocab followed by a day of grammar forms? Switching back and forth between the two? Hmmm.

And I have definitely been converted with recitation. It worked amazingly well last year. So, I decided to go that route instead of the review box for this year. And we have been rocking on with that. My kids do have a review box for Bible verses and EGR, though, because those aren't included in recitation.

We've completed:

Comment

I do not know the official response, but I think in SC (I feel like in “regular” MP they only do them 2x), the vocabulary work is done first. You only do the vocabulary for several days, watch the DVD, then start doing the grammar, then the review worksheets. So, when you first teach the lesson, you do not even talk about the grammar.
                              Christine

(2019/2020)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Working...
                              X