Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

OT: Shoelace tying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Shoelace tying

I've been a lazy Mama. With shoes, I've always bought the kind that had velcro somewhere so that I didn't have to deal with shoelaces. However, I've gotten so lazy that I have a kid turning 9 and, through no fault of his own, doesn't know how to tie his shoes. It's simply never been a "thing" that I worried about. Although some might give me a pass because of his learning challenges, neither of his brothers know how either.

As he has outgrown his shoes again, it seemed like a good time to work on this skill and force me to teach him by purchasing a laced pair of shoes. He is left handed - I'm not. This was harder than teaching a pencil grip because I just couldn't make my left hand feel like it was behaving correctly. This sent me to youtube where I learned that there are quite a few ways to try. Some seem to go backwards in my brain. Others were just an all out different approach. I tried the rabbit ears tie, the round the thumb method, the backwards and on top of the thumb method... It really struck me that his finger dexterity may need some work because he would make his hand go limp constantly, letting go of the shoelace. Explaining the steps is challenging as he has language issues, and he has a bad tendency to start "zoning" out while I'm trying to show him something. I'll catch his eyes staring out the window and I have to constantly get his eyes back on what I'm showing him. He really, really takes after his Mama.

I did stumble onto this one method though. Strangely, this worked faster than any other method and it seems (what looks to me) to be the same result. After spending nearly 2 hours trying all of the other methods, this one caught on in just a few minutes. I just wanted to share it out there. The video is great but heavily "monetized", so you have to wait through an entire commercial to watch it. I did write numbers 1-4 on both sets of fingers.

http://wp.me/p405LX-3Fw?jwsource=cl

Good luck guys!
    Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
    DS (MP1) - 7
    DS (K) - 5
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2

I'll have to look into that for my lefty. I finally got my little guy to cross tie (the first step of learning to tie shoes) a few weeks ago. We're going to add on the rest once it's at true mastery. As those fingers get stronger, I know he'll soon get the hang of it. We've finally gotten zipping down, and I find that him zipping a jacket up every single morning over his school clothes has totally helped. I just know that you're lucky he's older. My eldest could tie early on, but neither have the strength to get their laces tight enough on their feet, so I wound up retying them after my eldest did the run through.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Comment

Working...
    X