Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Advice Needed for Older Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed for Older Student

My daughter is at week 24 of SC4. She is 15 years old. SC has helped her so much, but she is and I think always will be a very slow reader. (she has dyslexia and also has great difficulty memorizing things). I had hoped to start her on the one year plan of SC5/6 so she could "graduate" at age 19 having finished SC level 12. But I'm worried it will be too fast for her. I know it will be hard for her if we continue to homeschool into her 20's, with others her age going on to college or getting full time jobs. Should I just do the two year plans for SC 5/6 and beyond and quit when she turns 19 or 20 without finishing the whole program? Anyone in this situation with their older students?

I think you need to make decisions based on where she is at each year. Don't plan too far.

If SC has helped her tremendously, use that as a sign. She is thriving with this program. If she could be successful with the standard core, you wouldn't be using simply classical.

How far she gets is how far she gets. The Vista at the end of each SC child's journey may look different, but it will be beautiful none the less.

I think when we plan too far into the future, it is easy to let the curriculum be our master instead of the other way around. Remember, you're in charge not the guide. Use it as a tool, not to follow like a slave.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Agreeing with Colomama that even as you look ahead to plan in good and necessary ways, your daughter will benefit most by making steady gains.

Bonus: If you teach SC 5&6 with the Two-Year plans, you might find that with the added mastery and maturity she can progress to SC 7&8 One-Year Accelerated.

Consider accelerating in specific areas depending on her abilities and answers to questions such as, "Where is her math ability? What are her/your long-term goals? Does she plan to attend college?"

A tip:
      Volunteering might become a path to transitioning from homeschool to work/career while becoming a buffer against comparison. I would begin this asap if you have not already. Volunteering is a low-pressure yet responsible way to become part of the bigger grown-up world. Find a caring, capable, dependable adult to supervise once weekly in an area of your daughter's interest and ability.

For both of my children, volunteering started in the mid-teens made an enormous difference in those transitional years. Not only did the volunteer settings and adult supervisors help to "grow them up" but also gave them access to the greater world at a time when peers began driving, taking SATs, heading off to visit college campuses, landing first jobs, or getting engaged. We continued schooling at home, but the satisfaction within their volunteer positions seemed to help them withstand the temptation to covet the various milestones of peers.

Today both are 24. Both (thanks be to God) now hold part-time paid employment in the fields in which they volunteered as teens (history museum - our son, nursing home - our daughter).

For what it's worth, they both chose to continue "schooling" at home. Among other things, he studies history, piano, guitar, and English, while she studies Latin, poetry, vocal music, and ballet. She recently decided she needed to add spelling, "because my spelling has become deplorable." Like your daughter, she has specific learning disabilities and memory challenges.

Comment

Adding this for your daughter or other older students: a list of accommodations for students with disabilities who take the Classical Learning Test, an alternative to SAT, ACT exams: https://www.cltexam.com/documents/CL...ons-Policy.pdf. This test is now accepted at more than 150 colleges.

Comment

My oldest is only 11, so please take this with a grain of salt. But I have frequently gotten stuck with the “I must plan until they graduate” and “They have to go at a faster pace or they won’t attain XYZ.” This is such a demoralizing and unhelpful loop to get stuck on. I do my children a far better service by acknowledging where they are, figuring out what has helped them the most, and determining what my priorities need to be now (or this upcoming year, or next). Do the next best thing has been the best advice I have ever received.
          Susan

2018-2019
          A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
          C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
          G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Working...
          X