Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

DS daughter not reading do SC1 for reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS daughter not reading do SC1 for reading?

I'm new here. This is our 2nd year using SC. My daughter is 11 and has down syndrome. she is delayed in speech and learning. We did SC level 1 last year but didn't finish the phonics and reading part. She just wasn't getting it. Should I use SC level 1 phonics and reading again and finish it? I already have SC level 2 for everything else for this year.

Where did she begin to have trouble? Did she struggle in FSR A and B? If yes, she may need to drop back to SC C to build up her phonemic awareness. See also the wonderful tips in Phonics from A to Z on phonemic awareness.

Or did she begin to struggle later in FSR C and D? If her struggles began largely in FSR C and D, I would finish SC 1 Phonics & Reading before starting with SC 2.

If you revisit and finish SC 1, here are a few tips:

1. Break everything down into component parts and then practice, practice, practice. Example: One of our
    SC homeschooling mothers has six adopted children with intellectual disability ranging from approximately ages 7 to 17. Several have Down syndrome and two with FASD. She began with SC 1. She has her children "spell" their words orally and visually on a large magnetic board with lowercase magnetic letters. These can correspond to the words in the book. I just watched a video of her instruction today. She dictates the word, such as "hat." From a dozen or so letter tiles, he choses the letter representing the first sound /h/ and places it on the board. She cues the next sound, short-vowel a, and he places the letter tile next to the h. She says the entire word, because he can hear the /t/, and he places the t on the board. Then she has him read the word. She proceeds through a dozen words this way. At the end, he reads all of the words.
    Paper-pencil will not be sufficient, nor will whole-word instruction. All needs to be presented as a whole, broken down, and then placed back together into a whole. You can do this with the word lists in
    Classical Phonics

2. Make sure you use all of these materials with the SC lesson plans: FSR Reading Student and Teacher with the Teacher instructions; Classical Phonics, ALS Readers Fun in the Sun, Soft & White, Scamp & Tramp, PPR Readers Set 1, 2, 3; and tips from Phonics A to Z.

3. Use the wonderfully large MP Phonics Cards (phonogram flashcards) that appeared after SC 1 was released, if you are not already doing so.

4. Add plenty of visuals. This includes those a mirror and those "lips" pages in Phonics A to Z, pp. 52-53 in the latest (3rd) edition and the other visual tips for teaching phonemes.

5. Consider working only on reading, writing and arithmetic for the first semester as a 3R's intensive with a view to beginning SC 2 in January. In SC 2 she will review phonics and begin working on reading fluency, but it will be important to have (at least) her FSR A, B, & C phonics reasonably solid before proceeding to SC 2. This may take time to "click", as described in #1 above.

Phonograms are letters or letter teams that represent (spell) one of the 44 sounds of the English language. There are nearly 200 phonograms used to spell our 44 English sounds. These easy-to-use Phonics Flashcards help your student master the complexities of English phonograms!

Comment

Working...
    X