Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

FSR - A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, one more observation that was confusing me a bit. My eldest is using SC3 MSTT and we are on Story of Ping. There is a phonics box page which has many different focuses on it. In the Curriculum Guide there is no mention of specific cards to use. Am I just supposed to go through the Phonics Box with him or am I supposed to be incorporating the cards? Did I reach a point where the cards aren't used anymore? Just checking. I know they will come into play at some point in the Spelling, but wasn't sure if I had missed something. Thanks!

DS (14) finish SC3
    DS (11) Barton?/CO-OP/SC4?
    DD (9) MP1
    DS (6) MPK

Comment

Correct, there are not flashcards for SC MSST. If you look at page 4 of the student guide under "word study" it gives a good explanation of how to use/do those boxes. If it is too much at once, just do one column on one day and a different one the next. I did notice that the columns start to repeat. So, although in Story of Ping has more columns, they were covered in previous selections (Billy and Blaze, for example) - so some will be review.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
        Correct, there are not flashcards for SC MSST. If you look at page 4 of the student guide under "word study" it gives a good explanation of how to use/do those boxes. If it is too much at once, just do one column on one day and a different one the next. I did notice that the columns start to repeat. So, although in Story of Ping has more columns, they were covered in previous selections (Billy and Blaze, for example) - so some will be review.
        Thanks! My son is actually a pretty good reader so I am not overly concerned but I know the Phonics area will still help him to remember how each individual combinations sounds when he has to break down a word. Are the cards used in SC Spelling or does it just pick back up with the Lit Guides once you get to Prairie School?

I really appreciate all the help. I am trying to make sure I am thorough. I am not sure I was completely thorough before. I did use the cards with him for FSR-E, but I never sorted them into Mastered/Review, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post

Thanks! My son is actually a pretty good reader so I am not overly concerned but I know the Phonics area will still help him to remember how each individual combinations sounds when he has to break down a word. Are the cards used in SC Spelling or does it just pick back up with the Lit Guides once you get to Prairie School?

I really appreciate all the help. I am trying to make sure I am thorough. I am not sure I was completely thorough before. I did use the cards with him for FSR-E, but I never sorted them into Mastered/Review, etc...
          No flashcards in SC spelling. Technically in SC3, there are no flash cards with Prairie School either, because those teacher guides were released after SC3. So, the package did not even come with the teacher guide. I am not sure if it comes with it now? So, really they re-appear in SC4 with Animal Tales and Traditional Spelling 1.
          Christine

(2019/2020)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
          DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
          DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

As Christine rightly noted, the MP Phonogram cards appeared after we released SC MSTT and other earlier items, so they are not scheduled are included. However, if you want to include them, feel free! I agree that they can be very helpful. In fact, when we finish SC levels through SC 11&12 we intend to go back through and add a few new items. Until then, use these on your own wherever you need them.

Mrs. Lowe's Phonics for Reading and Spelling released while we were creating SC MSTT, so man of those extra Phonics boxes reflect her work to boost the phonemic value of those stories.

Comment

Working...
            X