Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Math Fact Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math Fact Drill

Hello All:

Looking for tips on how you drill Math Facts. Do you do it daily? We have used MathUSee and Teaching Textbooks, but I know that some of my kiddos still have to think about the facts a bit. It is odd, there are times when my 11-yr old can whip off math in his head and other times when it feels so easy to me he sits there thinking for awhile. I don't know if it is when he is caught off-guard or if he is struggling because it is more of a real life application. Uncertain. I have never used Rod and Staff because I already had curriculum that we were using. I am not sure if it is appropriate to switch or not. I also was curious how you define fact fluency. Are you looking for complete automaticity or would you consider them fluent even if they have to think for a few seconds? Thanks for any feedback. I feel like I need to do a better job of this this year.

DS (14) - SC3
    DS (11) - Barton/SC3
    DD(9) - MP1 or 2?
    DS (6) - MPK

Our Simply Classical Rod & Staff Arithmetic plans tackle math fact fluency in various ways: oral fact practice, written drills, fact flash cards (eventually all four operations), games, and written sheets of practice. We review often.

Automaticity (knowing without hesitation) is the goal, but steadily improving speed is considered progress toward that goal!

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
      Hello All:

Looking for tips on how you drill Math Facts. Do you do it daily? We have used MathUSee and Teaching Textbooks, but I know that some of my kiddos still have to think about the facts a bit. It is odd, there are times when my 11-yr old can whip off math in his head and other times when it feels so easy to me he sits there thinking for awhile. I don't know if it is when he is caught off-guard or if he is struggling because it is more of a real life application.
      I have a similar experience with my 12-year-old and I'm wondering about drilling all the operations. We're working on 5M and the math (R&S) is slow due to his inconsistency with fact recall and the upset in general.

cherylswope, I'm wondering about purchasing digital SC 5/6 math plans to keep me organized in terms of drilling facts. My son gets the concepts of the math and is very reticent about dropping behind his younger brother who is also in 5M, so I don't think it's worth returning to a lower grade math book. Would a 5/6 math plan (R&S 3) offer me the structure for review, while allowing him to complete as much of the 5M lesson as he can handle for the day? Does the SC math plan have a full explanation of the drill/review activities for each day?

Thank you.
      Monica

Comment

Hi, Monica.

Yes, this is a very good idea. SC 5&6 Arithmetic Lesson Plans will give you regular days of reviewing +, -, x, / flash cards with speed drills, arithmetic games, and more. You receive easy explanations of the games in your Teacher Notes. If you need any of the supplies, choose the math resources from this list along with your order of the Individual Subject Lesson Plans for SC 5&6 Arithmetic.

Comment

Cheryl:

Do you think the activities you use for Math Fact Mastery will work with another program or do you think that I need to potentially switch over to R&S Math? I was going to stick with MUS because I already have Primer through Gamma DVDs and I have TJ (14-SC3) in Beta at the part where you do addition with regrouping. However, some days his math facts seem a bit "off" like he has to think of them. Other days he comes up with these answers so quick in his head it is odd! I'm going to assess my daughter using flashcards as well as my other son. We shall see if they are fluent or not. Is there fluency emphasis on subtraction as well? This one is harder for us. Thanks!

Erika
          DS(14) - SC3 (finishing up!)
          DS(11) - Considering SC4?
          DD(9) - MP1 (Partway done, then moving onto MP2
          DS(6) - MPK
          Boy or Girl??? Due Sep.!

Comment

Yes, we work on fluency with subtraction! With all of your recent changes, I will leave the decision of switching entirely up to you. There is a "learning curve" with R&S Arithmetic.

If you wanted to stay with your current math program, I do think you could add the SC 5&6 1) Individual Lesson Plans for Arithmetic, 2) +, -, x, / flashcards if you do not yet have any, 3) Speed Drill, and 4) Demo Clock if he has trouble telling time. The lesson plans include quick games, as mentioned above, so all of these could supplement what you are doing. You might conclude your current lesson with 15 minutes of practice according to the scheduled practice for the day.

My children have memories similar to your son's. One day they are sharp and quick, "firing on all cylinders," and other days sluggish. This can vary with the weather, illness, fatigue, or no apparent reason. "Over-teaching" can help when those foggier days come, so if you can add the practice I think that would be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
              Yes, we work on fluency with subtraction! With all of your recent changes, I will leave the decision of switching entirely up to you. There is a "learning curve" with R&S Arithmetic.

If you wanted to stay with your current math program, I do think you could add the SC 5&6 1) Individual Lesson Plans for Arithmetic, 2) +, -, x, / flashcards if you do not yet have any, 3) Speed Drill, and 4) Demo Clock if he has trouble telling time. The lesson plans include quick games, as mentioned above, so all of these could supplement what you are doing. You might conclude your current lesson with 15 minutes of practice according to the scheduled practice for the day.

My children have memories similar to your son's. One day they are sharp and quick, "firing on all cylinders," and other days sluggish. This can vary with the weather, illness, fatigue, or no apparent reason. "Over-teaching" can help when those foggier days come, so if you can add the practice I think that would be a good idea.
              Thank you! That is very helpful. I have been preparing my order and getting my things organized. It has taken me awhile to “locate” what I had in all the moving boxes. I still can’t find a couple of things but they are minor. I found a ton that can be used right away! Thanks!

Comment

Cheryl,

I just thought of one more thing. Do those flash cards cover all the facts? Sometimes it seems as if they don’t always cover all the facts. I found a company that does them all from 0-12. I wasn’t sure how these one compared. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by empokorski View Post
                  Cheryl,

I just thought of one more thing. Do those flash cards cover all the facts? Sometimes it seems as if they don’t always cover all the facts. I found a company that does them all from 0-12. I wasn’t sure how these one compared. Thanks!
                  Not Cheryl, but I have all the flashcards right here so I thought I'd answer
                  • FlashKids Addition = numerals up to 20
                  • FlashKids Subtraction = numerals up to 17
                  • FlashKids Multiplication = tables up to 12
                  • FlashKids Division = divisors up to 12
                  HTH!
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Not Cheryl, but I have all the flashcards right here so I thought I'd answer
                    • FlashKids Addition = numerals up to 20
                    • FlashKids Subtraction = numerals up to 17
                    • FlashKids Multiplication = tables up to 12
                    • FlashKids Division = divisors up to 12
                    HTH!
                    Thanks Michael! I only had addition fact cards so I was trying to figure out which set to buy. I haven’t drilled subtraction. I guess we are adding in! Thanks!

Comment

Hi, Monica.

Yes, this is a very good idea. SC 5&6 Arithmetic Lesson Plans will give you regular days of reviewing +, -, x, / flash cards with speed drills, arithmetic games, and more. You receive easy explanations of the games in your Teacher Notes. If you need any of the supplies, choose the math resources from this list along with your order of the Individual Subject Lesson Plans for SC 5&6 Arithmetic.
                      Thank you Cheryl. I have the digital plans now and I'm looking at the speed drills for grade 3 and wondering if the blacklines and worksheets would be helpful or too much. I have all the flashcards from MP already.
                      Monica

Comment

Monica, the blacklines and worksheets would be helpful, especially for a 12-year-old who can complete some of the written fact practice independently. You might not use all of them in a school year, as that might be too much, but any extras can become "light" practice next summer. My son struggled with math facts and we found that the more ways we addressed them, the better!

Comment

Monica, the blacklines and worksheets would be helpful, especially for a 12-year-old who can complete some of the written fact practice independently. You might not use all of them in a school year, as that might be too much, but any extras can become "light" practice next summer. My son struggled with math facts and we found that the more ways we addressed them, the better!
                          Thank you, Cheryl!

Comment

Working...
                          X