Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Question about R&S 3 Workbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about R&S 3 Workbook

So I've been meaning to ask you all about this for a while. I just double-checked the SC 5/6 lesson plan samples here on the MP website. I don't see these scheduled in. I've spent the past couple of days working with my son to get caught up so that his worksheet page corresponds to the lesson pages he's in in his student textbook. I just keep wondering why the worksheets are so different than the text? Do you think R&S added this workbook on as an afterthought? I almost think some of the work in the workbook is a bit more challenging than the work in the student text book. At the very least, they are very different skills. And I'm wondering if they will be revisited in the R&S 4 text.

Does anyone have any input on this? Mostly I'm trying to figure out how to handle this in less time (which is why we are trailing behind in Math this year.) Doing the teaching in the teacher book, the 2 student text pages, AND the page in the student workbook is taking too long. Ugh! Then again, it's all good practice. So I'm trying not to stress.

Thanks,
    SusanP in VA

From my understanding R&S added the worksheets after creating the original text. I skipped them with my old. So far we haven’t had any problems in R&S 4 related to that. We're not far in though.
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

At the beginning of the year we did EVERYTHING! It would take us 2-3 days to complete a lesson. As she got better on her math facts we were able to skip some lessons. We also started doing the left side of the page orally (except 1 row I wrote on the board and she did) - that is the math "fact" portion. She additionally did one page of the fact forms. At the start of the year it took her the whole lesson to do 1 form. By mid year, she was able to do it in 5 min. I purposely give her ones I know she will have the most success on and build up to the newer facts. The right side of the student text I also wrote many problems on the board and she did them there. I would have her do a row in her notebook. I think at the end of the year, we never did the left side of the page, if it was facts. I just had her do correlating fact forms- these might take longer than the 5 min. She liked the workbook pages and I handed her the answer key to check her work.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
        I just double-checked the SC 5/6 lesson plan samples here on the MP website. I don't see these scheduled in. ... I just keep wondering why the worksheets are so different than the text? Do you think R&S added this workbook on as an afterthought? I almost think some of the work in the workbook is a bit more challenging than the work in the student text book. ...
        Good evening Susan,

Cheryl Swope will have to speak to how the Worksheets are to be used in SC 5 & 6, but I wanted to explain how we use them in MP 3 in case it helps you.

First, the Worksheets were written after the main program, but as an intentional addition rather than an afterthought. From our Third Grade Curriculum Manual:

WORKSHEETS
        Rod & Staff is in the process of revising their third grade math book, but in the meantime, they have released worksheets to supplement the current book. These worksheets begin in Lesson 25, and there are one or two worksheets for every lesson after that.
        Additional directions are included on the first page of the Worksheets Answer Key. We do expect MP 3 students to complete these worksheets, but again, Cheryl may have a different use for them in SC 5 & 6.

HTH while you await the "official" response from Cheryl!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you Michael. I did not know anything of that....those insights from MP about the worksheets. We actually don't have SC 5/6 lesson plans, just doing math, one step/lesson at a time, year-round. But I did start to wonder about these math worksheets. I see the value in them. But it definitely slows us down. Oh well. Like I said, they are all good skills to over practice, which is very good for my son.

I am also now realizing how helpful it is to have in my hands the next level of math! I've been pouring over R&S 4 today, even though we are only 1/2 done with R&S 3 and it's very helpful for planning and teaching purposes.

Susan

Comment

Just fyi, in SC 5&6 Two-Year Standard pacing, we do not assign them by number but often allow time on Fridays for prescribed games, targeted flashcards, blacklines, or other review and practice.

Comment

Thanks Cheryl. So that means the parent decides, when following SC 5/6 which of those worksheets to squeeze in on Fridays. Okay, gotcha. Thanks again!

Comment

Yes, but you raise a good question. If it would be helpful for our families, we could list these by number on those Fridays. We might need to consider this. We already assign the drills in this manner, and I believe it was Colomama who requested this addition. You all help!

Comment

Working...
                X