Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 7&8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC 7&8

Have you noticed that our SC Forum has been quiet?

Two reasons:
    1) Our MP "Simply Classical Families" FB group has grown and become more active there.
    2) SC has been on the road!

Over the past few months, I have been speaking and meeting families at events in each of these states:
    Texas (twice), South Carolina, Missouri, Ohio, California, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Illinois.

At times I woke up and wondered where I was, but the whirlwind has been very gratifying.

Stories of families helped by Simply Classical truly urge us onward.

Beginning August 1, we will begin again working on SC 7 & 8. This is a "last call" for any requests, suggestions, or information that might be useful in our planning and design of SC 7 & 8.

Feel free to leave your thoughts or requests here. We will read all of them!
    Last edited by cherylswope; 07-19-2019, 03:52 PM.

In mind the list looks like this, so I'm just curious how far off I am off!

Christian Studies ll
    LC - second half
    EGRll
    Core Skills Language Arts 4
    Grammar -my question - will students need more grammar considering at this point they are still in LC and not First Form?
    R&S 4
    FMOR (or would you actually do Greece first, since kids might be older? - I wondered about this I know MP prefers Rome before Greece because of the age of the children...)
    Classical Comp? Or a different composition program?
    Astronomy?
    Geography 1/United States Review
    Poetry - continuation
    Timeline - continues
    Spelling - I don't know that I have a preference..but am very curious what you find!!! - what about just using Spelling workout - dividing the list over two weeks and then adding multi-sensory components?

Art.music - something beautiful!

Lit Guides - our family will not do Dangerous journey. But I understand it's value.
    I'd love My Side of the Mountain (not scheduled in a core! - might be fun to have one "special one" for our SC kids!), Twenty- One Balloons? Moffats? Go totally different here before heading to the grade 5 lit studies? then either Cricket or Homer. I don't know which is more difficult.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

[QUOTE=howiecram;n114310

Lit Guides - our family will not do Dangerous journey. But I understand it's value

[/QUOTE]

Hey Christine! This is April Luebke, in case you couldn’t tell from the username. 😊 At the risk of rabbit trailing the thread, I was wondering what, if anything, you plan to do in place of Dangerous Journey. I’m on the fence. We’re Lutheran so I’m not completely comfortable with it theologically, but I also recognize its cultural significance.

Cheryl, as a fellow Lutheran I’m curious as to your thoughts on it. Also, since I saw you post somewhere recently that you were working on SC 7/8 AND the second edition of your Simply Classical book, I’m curious if there’s an ETA on the book release? I pre-ordered it and I’m so excited to read it! Also looking forward to seeing what SC 7/8 looks like since I’m pretty sure we’ll be using it in a few years!

Comment

Cheryl,
        I'd love to jump into SC 7/8 but I suspect my son will remain an outlier. That said, here's where I 'think' we will be in the Fall of 2020:

- plugging away at FFL
        - part-way through R&S 4
        - Spelling Workout F
        - EGR II
        - Christian Studies II
        - Famous Men of Rome
        - Geography 1
        - Not sure where we'll be in Lit and Writing.

But, as for science, one idea that'd be wonderful is 1/2 year on Birds and 1/2 year on Trees?

Comment

April, I'm still pondering the literature (including DJ) but wanted to give you a quick answer that the second edition of Simply Classical should be here by the end of August!

Comment

Originally posted by luebfam View Post

Hey Christine! This is April Luebke, in case you couldn’t tell from the username. 😊 At the risk of rabbit trailing the thread, I was wondering what, if anything, you plan to do in place of Dangerous Journey. I’m on the fence. We’re Lutheran so I’m not completely comfortable with it theologically, but I also recognize its cultural significance.

Cheryl, as a fellow Lutheran I’m curious as to your thoughts on it. Also, since I saw you post somewhere recently that you were working on SC 7/8 AND the second edition of your Simply Classical book, I’m curious if there’s an ETA on the book release? I pre-ordered it and I’m so excited to read it! Also looking forward to seeing what SC 7/8 looks like since I’m pretty sure we’ll be using it in a few years!
            I'm not totally sure what we'll do "instead" of DJ. It will depend on what Cheryl Swope schedules! I think 21 Ballons, Moffats or My Side of the Mountain would be my choices. I might actually do a different one with each of my kids. I'm also not sure if they are exact replacements, so I would have to investigate that further!

However, I did want you to see this forum post that talks about why Cheryl Lowe wanted to include it. I am still taking this to heart, I wanted to be sure you had the full picture to make a decision for your family. This thread was for Catholics, but Orthodox also weighed in and ultimately MP responded with Cheryl's reasoning for using it. I think my third child might benefit from the book. At that point my older two may be "ready" for it as well. My older two children struggle with black and white thinking and some scrupulosity. They may be more apt to be able to discuss things that might conflict with our views in a few years when the youngest reaches 4th grade. We'll see. Anyway, here is the link to the forum post discussing DJ.

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...for-a-catholic
            Last edited by howiecram; 07-20-2019, 07:13 PM.
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Yes, and just to clarify and attribute correctly: The embedded insights were given by Cheryl Lowe, rather than me.

Comment

Oh yes, I don't know why I did not add her last name! I fixed it!
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Thank you all!

Between these notes and the requests of SC Families on FB, I have much to inform decisions. You all are very helpful as always.

I intended to begin August 1 but have begun diving in. I am already loving this upcoming level! For some reason it is lending itself to delightful additions. As things progress, I will share details. Just so you know, it may be another month or so before we have anything to share.

In the meantime, if anyone else has requests or suggestions for SC 7 & 8 before August 1, feel free to post!

Comment

Hi Cheryl,
                    I hesitated to weigh in on this post because we are one of the families that uses pieces of SC because of time constraints in our day and frankly because we love the enrichment portion, and want to continue things like art and music throughout all of our homeschool years . We have used SC to catch up on things we missed in earlier years and we actually love the layout of the guide. What attracted me to it in the first place was that American History was going to be studied chronologically and simply. I caught on to what turned out to be true for us , my daughter was going to retain the information. We did add the 200 questions about AH flashcards , and she read the books independently, so we do find ways to make in more grade appropriate for her where we need to.
                    All this is to say there may be other families out there without SN students who are using SC for other reasons and loving the layout ! We are one of those families, but I do feel like we are the only family who uses it for your other suggested reasons! That does make me wonder sometimes if it was meant for us too. We want to give our daughter a classical education but if a way to modify wasn't presented to us ,I may have given up! ( Our daughter dances almost the same amount of hours of her schooling everyday.)
                    Based on where we are coming from I am only adding my requests, not suggestions, because I realize there is a much larger community of people using the curriculum for different reasons than we are and was essentially created with those families in mind . In a perfect world I would love for you to create another writing program , possibly a modified version of the progymnasmata ? We won't be using Classical Comp.therefore we are hoping for a nice surprise there! We are going to be doing 6 th grade science by the time 7/8 comes out but I was hoping your were including Astronomy because with modifications we may just be able to do both and it seems too important to skip. Our vote is definitely 5 th grade lit. Dangerous Journey feels like an important work to cover and we haven't done that one yet either , but if all the fourth grade books were selected we probably have to be piecemealing again ! I am looking forward to some of the other things you said early on , a continuation of Music Appreciation - theory and the surprise modification of Ludere Latin ! I would love an art choice perhaps lessons on the time periods of the art cards . We used Myself and Others 4 for our required health curriculum this year and my daughter must have read the Peggy Post book three times after it was completed! A huge hit! I was meaning to recommend a new book out that may be a sweet addition to your Myself& Others collection entitled Connoisseur Kids: Etiquette, Manners, and Living Well for Parents and Their Little Ones by Jennifer L. Scott.
                    Thank you Cheryl, you have been a blessing to many families in all walks of life. Your work is inspiring!

Comment

I'd like to see a second grammar track for those who won't make it through enough EGR and Latin for Grammar to be complete. I'd also like to see Literature and Composition separated so other options could be used (I love that MP has additional options, but it's hard to do them if Lit and Comp go together).
                      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                      ds 23, graduated
                      dd 15, 9th Grade
                      dd 12, 6th Grade
                      ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Excellent suggestions. Thank you!

Comment

I would like a Recitation check box on the daily guide. It's a good reminder to me and cuts down on the "it's not listed...you're adding stuff just to make school take longer" whine/ tantrum.
                          Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                          DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                          DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                            I would like a Recitation check box on the daily guide. It's a good reminder to me and cuts down on the "it's not listed...you're adding stuff just to make school take longer" whine/ tantrum.
                            +1 cosigned

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                              We will do this!

Thanks to all for the requests & suggestions. We're working on a book list and hope to announce the components this fall if not sooner.
                              Last edited by cherylswope; 08-05-2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X