Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Needing Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa, that's wonderful you have a plan about which you're excited and which appears will work for your son! Deus vobiscum as you two proceed!

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
    Also, I'm not using All Things Fun and Fascinating. I spoke with IEW directly. That's actually a book that expects you, the parent, to know quite a bit about the program. It's a "themed" book. They have many different "themed" books. It's not exactly their "book 1". The "book 1" is called "Student Writing Intensive". The bonus here - it comes with teaching DVD's (think Prima Latina). That is going to really help me here. The themed books, unfortunately, do not have training DVDs - either for the parent or the kid.
    To clarify for anyone reading along, we worked with IEW when selecting All Things Fun & Fascinating as an option for our 3rd grade core. IEW generously includes a free copy of their two-hour "Teaching Writing Structure & Style Overview" CD with each copy of ATF&F purchased directly from Memoria Press. This overview, combined with the fact that we cover only the first seven lessons on key word outlining, should enable a parent to "jump in" to ATF&F. Of course, you can always substitute Introduction to Composition, or another program entirely, based on the abilities and needs of your particular student.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

I'm really sad to see that you won't be recording the SC sessions. I had to cancel my trip to KY, because my son had an "episode" for which we didn't have a contingency plan. So I'm spending my days that I have respite care workers available reading the forum, watching every MP youtube video that remotely applies to me, and reviewing all my teacher books. I was planning to watch all the Sodalitas sessions when they are released.
      Rae

DD16 MP11
      DS16 11th grade SPed charter, MP3
      DS9 MP 3
      DS7 MP Jr K
      DS4 MP Jr K

Comment

Originally posted by MrsRae View Post
        I'm really sad to see that you won't be recording the SC sessions.
        Good afternoon Rae,

Oh no! I'm so sorry, both about the fact that you can no longer come but most of all about the situation with which you're now dealing. My prayers for you and your entire family!

While we are not recording the Simply Classical sessions at Sodalitas due to their personal nature, we will be recording the two Pre-Conference sessions which are part of the CLSA Teacher Training Conference. From the synopsis:

Simply Classical: Cheryl Swope

Morning: Struggling Learners in the Homeschool and Tutorial Setting
        One-on-one instruction can improve a child’s learning in profound ways in any setting, whether in a tutoring
        scenario at a school or in a homeschool. Cheryl Swope helps you identify needs, secure resources, and build
        confidence in your struggling students for the future.

Afternoon: Struggling Learners in the Classroom and School
        A classical education benefits students with learning difficulties, but how do we teach such children in a group
        classroom setting? Cheryl Swope shares particular strategies and resources to lighten the burden and increase
        student achievement.
        I realize this is not the same as Sodalitas, but I do hope it can still be of some help.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Melissa, that's wonderful you have a plan about which you're excited and which appears will work for your son! Deus vobiscum as you two proceed!

To clarify for anyone reading along, we worked with IEW when selecting All Things Fun & Fascinating as an option for our 3rd grade core. IEW generously includes a free copy of their two-hour "Teaching Writing Structure & Style Overview" CD with each copy of ATF&F purchased directly from Memoria Press. This overview, combined with the fact that we cover only the first seven lessons on key word outlining, should enable a parent to "jump in" to ATF&F. Of course, you can always substitute Introduction to Composition, or another program entirely, based on the abilities and needs of your particular student.

HTH!
          I'm sorry here if I misspoke. Truly. I'm not trying to run either program down. I sincerely believe in both! I plan to do both!

I am confused though. I'll show you why.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8722.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	114083Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8723.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	114084

I received this yesterday and poured through it because of your comment, thinking I had misunderstood the order. This is a snapshot for their catalog.

They seem to strongly recommend the Student Writing Intensive book first, and then afterwards, choose either a continuation course (which has teaching DVD's for the kids just like the first course, similar to the way Prima Latina teaches), a theme based book (like All Things Fun and Fascinating), or personal selections from the trained teacher/parent.

Flipping over to the section for the themed books, it states the program is assuming the parent/teacher completed the 14 DVD hour training program first. I get it, they provide a complimentary 2 hr CD if you purchase ATFF through MP. They still say they are assuming the teacher did the 14 hr program first. Is that just overkill?

Even if it isn't overkill, the parent I was responding to is in a similar boat that I am in - I'm not sure we can get the real benefit of the Classical Composition series just yet. I want it - but we aren't there yet because of the challenges my kiddo has. I was only trying to offer up a possible solution that provides really detailed guidance (the DVD's that are meant to teach the kids) which go through the unit lessons one by one, line by line. The themed book doesn't have that kind of hand-holding for the lessons (hence the difference in the cost). The themed book assumes you, the parent, have been fully trained in their format.

For my part, for an initial composition program, I need the hand holding here. I hope it is understood that I was only trying to offer up a slight alternative to ATFF - the real difference is only supposed to be the actual material being read because both courses are the same grade levels. One is themed, the other has more random passages (Sea Snakes, Starfish, The Mongols, Our First President are a few of the passages studied in the Student Writing Intensive). One is intensely guided via DVDs, the other expects the parent to be fully trained.

Having a special needs kiddo sometimes means you need some intensive "over-teaching". Granted, the classical composition series looks to have similar DVD lessons (happy dance!)...EXCEPT for Introduction to Composition, unless I missed it somewhere. It is that first course that I need real help with. I might have misunderstood, but I thought the other parent was having a similar struggle with her SN kiddo for this same course.

Are there any plans to create a training/teaching DVD for Introduction to Composition? I would LOVE to have that in my toolkit.

Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
          DS (MP1) - 7
          DS (K) - 5
          DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

I'm sorry here if I misspoke. Truly. I'm not trying to run either program down. I sincerely believe in both! I plan to do both!

I am confused though. I'll show you why.

I received this yesterday and poured through it because of your comment, thinking I had misunderstood the order. This is a snapshot for their catalog.

They seem to strongly recommend the Student Writing Intensive book first, and then afterwards, choose either a continuation course (which has teaching DVD's for the kids just like the first course, similar to the way Prima Latina teaches), a theme based book (like All Things Fun and Fascinating), or personal selections from the trained teacher/parent.

Flipping over to the section for the themed books, it states the program is assuming the parent/teacher completed the 14 DVD hour training program first. I get it, they provide a complimentary 2 hr CD if you purchase ATFF through MP. They still say they are assuming the teacher did the 14 hr program first. Is that just overkill?

Even if it isn't overkill, the parent I was responding to is in a similar boat that I am in - I'm not sure we can get the real benefit of the Classical Composition series just yet. I want it - but we aren't there yet because of the challenges my kiddo has. I was only trying to offer up a possible solution that provides really detailed guidance (the DVD's that are meant to teach the kids) which go through the unit lessons one by one, line by line. The themed book doesn't have that kind of hand-holding for the lessons (hence the difference in the cost). The themed book assumes you, the parent, have been fully trained in their format.

For my part, for an initial composition program, I need the hand holding here. I hope it is understood that I was only trying to offer up a slight alternative to ATFF - the real difference is only supposed to be the actual material being read because both courses are the same grade levels. One is themed, the other has more random passages (Sea Snakes, Starfish, The Mongols, Our First President are a few of the passages studied in the Student Writing Intensive). One is intensely guided via DVDs, the other expects the parent to be fully trained.

Having a special needs kiddo sometimes means you need some intensive "over-teaching". Granted, the classical composition series looks to have similar DVD lessons (happy dance!)...EXCEPT for Introduction to Composition, unless I missed it somewhere. It is that first course that I need real help with. I might have misunderstood, but I thought the other parent was having a similar struggle with her SN kiddo for this same course.

Are there any plans to create a training/teaching DVD for Introduction to Composition? I would LOVE to have that in my toolkit.
            Good morning Melissa,

You said nothing inappropriate at all! Nor did I take anything you said as a slight! One of the beauties of homeschooling is that a parent can tailor each subject of each grade for each child, providing a level of individualization impossible in even the smallest and best of brick-and-mortar schools. Similarly, one of the beauties of our forum is that MP families from around the world can connect and assist one another. I'm thrilled you have a plan for your son, and I'm grateful you're sharing that plan with a fellow forum member in case it helps her.

For our standard writing track in the core packages, ATF&F serves as an introduction to Classical Composition. We teach only the first seven lessons covering key word outlining, omitting the rest of the book because our students are going to begin CC next year rather than continue with IEW. For this specific implementation of the program, the 2-hour teaching overview will suffice. However, IEW's full 14-hour training course is excellent, and if one plans to continue using IEW in later grades, or even to complete all the lessons in ATF&F, you will certainly want to complete the full training.

Finally, because Introduction to Composition is an optional alternate and not a required or supplemental part of a full core, we unfortunately have no plans to produce DVDs for the program at this time.

I will now go attempt to remove my foot from my mouth . My sincere apologies for any ambiguities in my previous post or in this one, and any resulting confusion. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to clarify or assist.
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
            X