Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Grammar and Writing SC 7&8 and beyond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Grammar and Writing SC 7&8 and beyond

    Hi! After spending time reading these two posts, I have been pondering a few things as we move forward regarding the writing and grammar in SC levels.

    https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...rning-to-write

    https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...e-mpoa-edition

    One, as I read through all the teacher information in SC 5&6. I do see that is suggests 1 composition activity. (However it suggests this in Literature, Classical Studies and Christian Studies). However, I am looking at the recommendations and it just says "write 3-5 sentences". I was wondering if there could be additional information to support SC parents on what these 3-5 sentences looked like. You provided a rubric for me in this post:
    https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...
    Christine

    (2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

    #2
    Yes, we can include additional information if you need it. You can use the rubric for letter writing, but we could include other rubrics for sentences, paragraphs, reports, essays, outlines, and papers if this would be helpful.

    Note that in SC 5&6, you will have all of these:
    1. CS:LA 4 lessons. See especially units 2, 3, 5 on Sentences, Mechanics, and Writing.
    2. EGR for reminders of rules and for learning new components of grammar and writing.
    3. English Grammar Practice exercises through which you can address numerous aspects of writing
    4. The Lit Guide answer keys for models of good sentences.
    5. All Teacher Guides for models of good sentences.

    If you saved your SC Writing One & Two books, you might teach from Rules for Sentences (in the front of each book) before beginning each writing week.

    Let us know if you need anything more. We want strong writers, so we are willing to include more if you need it!

    Comment


      #3
      I think rubrics would be helpful, personally! I know writing can be subjective, but I think it would hel, in particular, my oldest to know what I will be looking for. It may reduce tears? ?
      Christine

      (2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

      Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

      Comment


        #4
        P.s. I have brand new Writing book 1 and 2! . I have considered, now that she has two more years under her belt, re-doing writing book 2, specifically the history one with her.
        Christine

        (2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

        Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

        Comment


          #5
          I think you would see her writing improve quite a bit if you had time to do that. Just make sure you teach her to write in pencil and include "editing" as an expected process, so mistakes are not left on the page.

          Rubrics -- we'll work on this. We do not want tears!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
            I think you would see her writing improve quite a bit if you had time to do that. Just make sure you teach her to write in pencil and include "editing" as an expected process, so mistakes are not left on the page.

            Rubrics -- we'll work on this. We do not want tears!
            It just puts me in a little bit of a dilemma with my son! I do not want to do Christian Studies SC3 with him, in the interest of time. I plan(ned) to have him do CS1 with her. He will be 8, has the same Bible literacy as she does and it seems like the best use of our time. The AH writing for him may be difficult though for the same reason it was for her. I plan(ned) to formulate sentences together, write them on the board and have him copy some, then add an illustration. Will this suffice for this year? I could also do the core skills1&2 combo from SC4? I also do not want to stress us out, overload and miss important things. Or, do we just do the history writing a week behind the reading and have them both do it?

            Christine

            (2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

            Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by howiecram View Post

              It just puts me in a little bit of a dilemma with my son! I do not want to do Christian Studies SC3 with him, in the interest of time. I plan(ned) to have him do CS1 with her. He will be 8, has the same Bible literacy as she does and it seems like the best use of our time. The AH writing for him may be difficult though for the same reason it was for her. I plan(ned) to formulate sentences together, write them on the board and have him copy some, then add an illustration. Will this suffice for this year? I could also do the core skills1&2 combo from SC4? I also do not want to stress us out, overload and miss important things. Or, do we just do the history writing a week behind the reading and have them both do it?
              Your plan sounds good. No pressure on re-tackling SC Writing R-A. You might only do as I suggested and reread the Rules About Sentences once a week or so.

              Christian Studies I combined for your two oldest, CS:LA 1&2, and writing together from the board will work well!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

                Your plan sounds good. No pressure on re-tackling SC Writing R-A. You might only do as I suggested and reread the Rules About Sentences once a week or so.

                Christian Studies I combined for your two oldest, CS:LA 1&2, and writing together from the board will work well!
                No, I think I will try to do the SC Writing Book 2 with R. I bought it for L, but as I looked over it again, I just had a sense that it would be better for her. I was feeling guilty about not doing any "SC" writing with him. If you think what I outlined above will suffice for him this year, I can feel good about it all! It's all starting to come together.
                Christine

                (2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                Comment

                Working...
                X